Kartakass: Beginnings

Online roleplaying at the Café
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Marentor looks inside the chest and nods appreciatively.

"Thank you, Tarlyn - I have all the tools I need with me already," he says. On his collarbone, the jade pendant warms him briefly with its inner magic. On his wrists and ankles, the snug fit of the leather training straps reminds him of his templar days.
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Draven wanders over to the table, aimlessly chewing on a piece of dried meat. He also nods appreciatively to Tarlyn on seeing the contents "Not a bad little haul my friend."

Draven lets his fingers run over the contents of the chest, looking for the least cumbersome item he can find. He finally comes to rest on a small silver amulet, his fingers feeling the edges and contours of the object, he picks it up and looks closely at it. "I believe this one is mine, thankyou" he says absently staring rather intently at the design worked into the silver.

He retreats back across the room to his chair and sits silently contemplating the amulet.[/i]
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

[before the chest arrives]

As Draven finishes his introduction, Lucius looks around. He knows everybody is looking at him, but he has always been comfortable speaking after everyone else, after knowing everybody's game.

"There's not much to tell about me. I think most of you would envy the kind of life I had til now, as I was sort of a privileged kid of Martira Bay. Like most of you, I'm Darkonese, and also an adept of the Art, but I was not formally schooled in it until very late.

I came to it by accident and curiosity, in the private school where I studied in Darkon. Then, I travelled to Dementlieu and attended the University there, near Port-A-Lucine, until I became a History teacher. Meanwhile, I had some contact the faculty of Arcane arts and that's how I got more into this. "

Lucius didn't delve further into his wizardly knowledge. He was not too happy to let the others know of what truly excited him about magic. If they were trustworthy enough, if they would prove to be loyal companions, perhaps then he'd let them know.

"Ezra has been a recent change for me. You know, Dementlieu is pretty rough under the facade of the cultured civilised country. There's great mischief and suffering there, and one day, the Mother of Tears made me see this."

There's a slight trembling in his voice, a certain hesitation as Lucius absent-mindedly draws back in his chair. After a moment of silent pause,

"I learned there was need for compassion, and need for dedication. I entered a monastery, I purposefuly went to study the ways of Ezra. They still let me teach there, and I was never too good in the physical arts anyway, but at least I've learned how to use an armor and a mace, though my talents are almost surely elsewhere, I'm afraid."
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

[After the chest arrives]

Lucius looks at the chest marvelled.

"This looks like the findings my archaelogist colleagues brought to the Museum in Dementlieu... only these truly look for real, Tarlyn. I must say, I'm impressed."

He rummaged inside, studying carefully what he saw. At length, he found a pair of brass carved bracelets, of exquisite design, and a curious ring that seemed to glow and give off warmth to the heart.

"Wow... Nidalan dragontorcs. I hope no one will dispute these", he said looking around. "And this ring here seems attuned to me. I can't place its origin, though legends speak of fey rings that comfort and protect. I hope this will be one of those."
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

In other circumstances the wizard wouldn't trust anything a dark-elf would give to him. But Tarlyn seems different, at his words before Van doesn't discern any lie and Valerian Grane seems to trust him too. So after Lucius the evoker looks inside the chest.

At the right corner, Van discerns a very simple ring. Curious he gets it. The ring was silver and totally plane. Van is up to toss it back to the chest and choose something else when his father's words bump into his mind: "Remember son, sometimes the most simple items are hidding great power!"

Turning the ring slightly, he notices some arcane runes writen to its inner side. From his arcana knowledge, Van understands that this ring creates a kind of force field around the body that deflect the attacks. Turning to the drow he says:

"I'll get this, thank you Tarlyn."
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Seeing that nearly all the others had selected an item or two, Valerian scooped a ring from the bottom of the chest and put it on. It was a perfect match for the one Van had proclaimed.

"It is not meet that the virtuous struggle against the Legions of the Night unaided."
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

"Well put, Valerian. Or against any other evil for that matter. Now I have arranged, through the Temple, to procure us some Nova Vaasa riding horses. I think if we stick to the route that has been mapped, we should be in Kartakass within the next 3 weeks. I would suggest we leave early so we can get a good start. We can sleep here if you like. Those of you who need to get supplies, I have seen to it already. I felt this a most urgent matter and didn't want us to tarry to long here in Nevuchar Springs." Tarlyn stops speaking and removes a map case from within the folds of his cloak. Smiling, he opens it and pulls out a rolled up parchment, or so it seems. He places it in the middle of the table and unfurls it, revealing a map. What is rather distinctive of this map is the red line from Nevuchar Springs all the way to Kartakass.

"It is an homour for me to accompany men such as you on this errand and I hope the future bodes well for us. Do any of you wish to add something?"
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

"Only that I hope whatever god's ye serve will watch over ye, and for the likes of me, may our intelligence, cunning, and resourcefulness prevail against the creatures who stalk the night in these lands. Oooh Bracers!"
William stoops to scoop out a pair of dark brown forearm bracers with silver buckles.
"These will do nice, Mate." William says as he begins to apply the bracers to his arms.
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Van looks first Marentor and Cornelius and then Tarlyn.

"Well, is it possible stay a day and leave the day after tomorrow? I have had a long trip from Martira Bay and 'm excausted. Also I'd like to catch up with my friends here. I bet they have had very interesting adventures ad I'm sure they have gotten nice spells! I have gotten some powerful enough myself you know and I can share with any of you can use arcane arts."

Says Van giving a side look to Marentor and Cornelius. He has spoken openly about sharing his spells, because he doesn't want to start a new adventure without having more spells possible.
Last edited by VAN on Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Tarlyn really does feel for the wizards, but time was of the essence. "I'm really sorry Van, but we have to get going. The sooner we arrive the sooner we can discover what happened to those 2. I am sure you will have other occasions to learn each other's spells."
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Marentor taps his teeth with a nail pensively.

"Maybe we can rent a coachman to take us there... if, of course, there is no problem with confidentiality. I would prefer to pore over books and scrolls in a dry coach, and share drinks and tales of our studies in a soft seat."

He puts his hand to his forehead, straining to remember something.

"Yes, Cornelius, you never did tell me what happened to that public statue. You owe me a story, don't you..."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Despite Van is really eager to see what spells have gotten his comanions and if possible to get them himself, understands Tarlyns words.

"Yes, you're right, we should leave as soon as possible. If we get a coachman we can talk there about our adventures and spells. When we make a camp for the night if the weather permits it, we can swap spells there."
- W H A T ! ? !
lostboy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by lostboy »

Contemplating his amulet, Draven is only vaguely aware of the conversation going on around him, he does catch a mention of leaving tommorrow. Good at least we can be on our way, Im always happier on the road.. Something isnt right, he feels sluggish and his head is fuzzy, must have been pushing myself too hard recently he thinks...

He yawns loudly, and sinks lower in his chair. He feels warm and drowsy, odd for the cold austere room, but nonetheless a welcome feeling and at least it means he can sleep without fear tonight. He cant fight it any longer, the tide of darkness rolls over him and he is washed away into his dreams.
"I had a dream, which was not all a dream.
The bright sun was extinguish'd, and the stars
Did wander darkling in the eternal space..."
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Tarlyn thinks about the coach. Not ready to leave their voyage to any stranger he comes up with a solution. "I do not mind procurong a coachman for us, but I do not put my trust in just anyone, so I will ride a horse and scout ahead. I do not need much sleep. We will have to stop a few times on our way so the coachman has storage space. fair enough! I suggest you all get some rest as we leave early. HEre is the meeting spot if any of you chose to not sleep here. Oh look," Tarlyn says as he spies Alexander sleeping soundly, "He must have had a long day."

Walking over to Alex, he gently picks him up and carries him to the door. "I will put him to a bed here and go and procure us a coachman." He looks back at everyone, winks and walks out with Alexander in his arms.
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

William looks to the other party members from benieth his lowered brow.
"Well lads, I have to admit that the idea of travelin by coach carries a lot more appeal then travelin by foot or horseback."