nWoD campaign help

Discussing all roleplaying games
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

nWoD campaign help

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

I've just started co-STing a nWoD game set in the University from Mysterious Places. It's only planned to last 16 or so weeks, and, if the players like it, I want to run a second game some time in the future. The big 3 and other systems are playing no part in this campaign as the spirit of the University is keeping most other supernatural critters at bay.

My dilemma is this, if I get to run the second game, it will start to introduce the players to the grand masters of the World of Darkness, mainly the supernatural types that the players can become. Now, eventually, I want to make each player a supernatural being, be it vampire, changeling, mage or other. The problem is, I don't know how much control I want to give the players over what they become. Do I let them choose the supernatural type, but I control what subtype (i.e. they say Vampire and I choose clan), or do I choose the type and let them control the other aspects (i.e I say Changeling, and they choose seeming and kith)?
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

One of my players played a mortal for three or four sessions before she became a Mekhet. I say control the type, but make him/her feel free to choose his/her affiliation (Ordo Dracul, Belial's Brood, etc.)
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Re: nWoD campaign help

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:I don't know how much control I want to give the players over what they become. Do I let them choose the supernatural type, but I control what subtype (i.e. they say Vampire and I choose clan), or do I choose the type and let them control the other aspects (i.e I say Changeling, and they choose seeming and kith)?
I suppose that the answer to this will ultimately depend on two main factors: Does your plan for the story depend upon which character becomes which type of supernatural creature and are your players open enough to the fact that their storyteller wouldn't allow them to choose what sort of creature they become?

If the players aren't going to have problems becoming a vampire, for example, when they would rather become something else, then I would say that you should be fine in choosing the supernatural type. I would say that it would be a polite courtesy to allow them to choose their subtype/affiliation, though (in order to keep them from being pigeon-holed into something that they might not enjoy playing long term).

If the players are particular in which supernatural type they want to become (and it wouldn't throw off your overall story too much), then you might need to give them the option of choosing to become which creatures you want to introduce.

Honestly, I would say that the first option should be fine (assign type and allowing players to choose subtype). However, I don't know your group's dynamic to say if this would truly work for you. If you feel that everyone would be fine with this and would still have fun, then give it a try.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I would suggest you talk with your players and decide all together. :)
The traditional take is the ST choses the type and the players the clan etc

Prometheans and changeling should be out of the question IMO. To be a changeling you're supposed to spend some serious time in Arcadia and then escape. There is no guarantee that all changelings will escape together.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!