If ravenloft was to be rereleased- what artists would u want

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

I would hope that Talon would be willing to continue with the new books. I've always been a fan of his Knight of the Shadows picture, as well as his picture of the Weathermay-Foxgrove twins from Van Richten's Arsenal.
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
LordGodefroi
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by LordGodefroi »

Lessee of known gaming artists:

I'd like to see Larry Elmore's take on Ravenloft.

Add me to the list of Talon Dunning fans.

Also good for RL would be the scratchboard work of Patrick Arrasmith (book illustrator). Has a Gustave Dore feel to it.

As for Keith Parkinson, his work is wonderful (particularly the art for Midnight Syndicate's "The 13th Hour" album). But, as we know, he's no longer available. (RIP)
[url=http://www.classichorrorfilmboard.com/]Classic Horror Film Board[/url]

[url=http://www.halloweenartexhibit.com/]Annual Halloween Art Exhibit - Chicago[/url]
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Cole Deschain wrote:Fabian had a nice style- but it worked best when everything looked that way.
He seemed to have trouble with people/creatures that were supposed to be gnarly-looking-- his Sisters Mindefisk and the golems in the original VRGGolems looked like soft clay or melting wax.

Kevin McCann, by contrast, was *great* at gnarled, grizzled characters.

I was quite impressed by Talon Dunning's work-- I particularly liked his Drakov (yeah, I heard all the Rob Zombie jokes but nobody's made Drakov look so utterly *crazy*) and D'Honaire.
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

I'd say... Talon. But Talon too would be one I'd choose. And let's not forget about Talon. :P
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Agreed. I hadn't heard much of McCann until recently, but seeing his work in Carnival has converted me.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

I don't have much to offer, since people have named my favourites: Clyde Caldwell, the artists for the interior art of the VRMHC, namely the first, Talon, Royo. I'm very ambiguous towards Cleavanger: he likes to draw his women monstrously :-(; also, I love Elmore, Jonathon Bowser and even Rowena Morril, but would they draw good Ravenloft? I don't know. I do think Rowena would, though. She's really worth looking at.

Alex
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Ail wrote:I don't have much to offer, since people have named my favourites: Clyde Caldwell, the artists for the interior art of the VRMHC, namely the first, Talon, Royo. I'm very ambiguous towards Cleavanger: he likes to draw his women monstrously :-(; also, I love Elmore, Jonathon Bowser and even Rowena Morril, but would they draw good Ravenloft? I don't know. I do think Rowena would, though. She's really worth looking at.

Alex
Dunno. Never liked the eighties' fantasy art: voluptous women, men with muscles bulging in places I never knew had muscles, "clean" fantasy... I much more like the "x-men" style* of Reynolds.
Anyway, Talon is currently my favourite fantasy artist, with Todd Lockwood and Tony diTerlizzi...

*Where "x-men style" meaning "How can I move with all these things hanging from my clothes?" or "What do I need all these pouches for?" :lol:
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Actually, wouldn't it be fun if Tony DiTerlizzi got to draw up the various Boogeymen characters?
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Jakob wrote: *Where "x-men style" meaning "How can I move with all these things hanging from my clothes?" or "What do I need all these pouches for?" :lol:
I think the word you're looking for is "Liefeldesque."
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Brandi wrote:
Jakob wrote: *Where "x-men style" meaning "How can I move with all these things hanging from my clothes?" or "What do I need all these pouches for?" :lol:
I think the word you're looking for is "Liefeldesque."
When I think about Liefield, a painful rash shaped like a "666" sprouts on my back. Oh. There it goes again. :lol:
Actually, wouldn't it be fun if Tony DiTerlizzi got to draw up the various Boogeymen characters?
Well, dreaming is good. :)
- Luis Sepúlveda
NykylaiHellray
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NykylaiHellray »

Brandi wrote:Actually, wouldn't it be fun if Tony DiTerlizzi got to draw up the various Boogeymen characters?
Lol I was about to suggest http://www.diterlizzi.com/

I guess he is more of a planescape style artist, but he would be one of the best choices to draw the shadow fey and elves.
[quote="Kelliack"] It is the lost coin of the gods when they first flipped to see who would get which portfolio.[/quote]
Steve Miller
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Steve Miller »

My dream line-up of Ravenloft artists would be...

Jacen Burrows
Tony DeZuniga
Talon Dunning
Todd Lockwood
Val Mayerik
Kevin McCann
Mark Nelson
Sonny Trinidad
Steve Miller, Writer of Stuff
Once and Future Ravenloft Contributor
Help keep my cats fed and my car gassed up: [url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=3765]NUELOW Games at RPGNow.[/url]
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Steve Miller wrote:My dream line-up of Ravenloft artists would be...

Jacen Burrows
Tony DeZuniga
Talon Dunning
Todd Lockwood
Val Mayerik
Kevin McCann
Mark Nelson
Sonny Trinidad
Hmmm... Why not add to this dream team someone else... Let's say Pablo Picasso and Francisco Goya? :lol:

EDIT: I just imagined Caravaggio (as Italian, his paintings are one of the few things that make me proud of Italy... The other being the work of Leonardo Da Vinci and Dante Alighieri :P) as illustrator for a Ravenloft manual. :shock:
- Luis Sepúlveda
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Salvador Dali could do some maps for the Nightmare Lands.
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Titian could be a great help to Azalin's portrait gallery.
The cure for what ails you