Ravenloft quote in "A Practical Guide to Monsters"

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Ravenloft quote in "A Practical Guide to Monsters"

Post by Catman Jim »

Wizard's junior press division Mirrorstone has released it's next hardcover bestiary picture book aimed at seeding the next generation of D&D fans. Following up on "A Practical Guide to Dragons", "A Practical Guide to Monsters" reads like a mini-Monster Manual and has many large colorful illustrations. The framing fiction is very reminiscient to me of the old "Fantasy Forest" board game, but I did find one thing very interesting; a Ravenloft quote! The story is purportedly a message left with the bestiary to a group of young apprentices from their missing wizard master, Zendric. In the section titled "Unsightly Undead", there are four pages devoted to vampires. On that final page, there is contained a portion of a letter to the wizard, with his notation above it, "I received this letter from one of my old adventuring companions, recounting his shocking experience with a vampire in mist-form." Looking at the letter, it is a direct quote of a journal section from Van Richten's Guide to Vampires.
Taken directly from Vampiric Powers, page 18, "The thick mists appeared without warning, seeming to rise from the ground like a foul exhalation. At first we paid it little mind; at night, ground fogs are fairly common. But then we noticed how the fog was moving, swirling towards us even though there was no wind to drive it. What could we do? How can you fight a fog? It was then that the leading tendril wrapped itself around Batlas...."
The quote drops off the page at this point, presumably the remainder is too intense for the younger readers this tome is intended for. In VRGtV, the jounal section is attributed to Morgren Dunderloin, presumably this person was once affiliated (or retrofitted...) with Zendric & the Knights of the Silver Dragon children's book series. Regardless, the credit's page does acknowledge the quote from VRGtV, even if the word Ravenloft itself is never used.
I only wish I had retired sooner!
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

One more hint that Ravenloft is, if officially gone, then not quite forgotten.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

And that 'Loft had some of the best in-character writing I've seen in ANY game
Go tell the Spartans, thou who passest by,
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

I understand Ravenloft itself is not named?
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)