The 4th edition FoS manifesto

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

The 4th edition FoS manifesto

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Dear members of the Fraternity,

You may have heard it in the Paridon Newsbill: the Wizards of the Coast will be launching a 4th edition of the D&D system during the Spring and Summer of 2008 (core rules). Our spies whisper to us of the many conversations and debates about this news, and some of them report a lot of anxiety over this sudden change. We felt we needed to affirm our light-in-the-darkness position by proposing in which direction we'll be going with this change.

The latest incarnation of the Ravenloft system is currently in the 3.0/3.5 edition. Unless mistaken, and we would be glad if proven wrong on this, if Ravenloft is updated to 4th edition by WotC, it will be more than a few years from now.

So what do we do? Panic? We thought of that but we still have the traitor van Rijn to watch out for, so a run in the dark could quickly become more dangerous than running covered in honey and bells in the Paridon sewers.

Switch to 4th edition as soon as it is out? Nope, since we would cut ourselves off from the great Ravenloft sourcebooks of 3.0/3.5.

Stay bravely in 3.5? Nope also. How can this site attract new players if we remain entrenched in a dead edition?

Do you see where we are going? Good (because we don’t).

Seriously, here’s what we are planning at the FoS for this D&D edition change:

1. When 4th edition arrives, we will release a conversion guide on the major mechanics of the Ravenloft setting (Fear/Horror/Madness saves, and similar things from the Ravenloft Campaign Setting book).

2. Afterward, if there is no announcement of upcoming Ravenloft releases by WotC, we will launch a 4th edition conversion program. (We haven’t really discussed this much ourselves, so don’t ask for details yet.) We are thinking of first converting the stats in the WW and FoS Gazetteer sourcebooks to the 4th edition, while preserving the fluff of those books. This is a huge program, Azalin would say, and we’ll probably need the eyes and pencils of the best 4E-knowledgeable fans around here, if we want it to be completed before 5th edition. We'll work out more details of this plan when 4th edition is out.

3. For future netbooks mainly written by the FoS (ex. the FoS Gaz), we will provide stats in both D&D systems: 3.5 and 4th. Give us some time to absorb 4e, and then we'll start doing both.

4. Last but not least, as you know, the QtR netbooks consist primarily of fan-submitted material. Be assured that we will continue accepting submissions made in any D&D edition (except perhaps the first one made in 1973, please). Writer who provide 4th edition stats in their work (either alone or with stats for an older edition) will be well thought of.

Please react to this announcement,

Joël, for the FoS

Last edited by Joël of the FoS on Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

*discretely claps gloved hands*
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Excellent, excellent!
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Definitely the best and most logical solution. The last thing we as members need to do is alienate ourselves after being alienated by publishers.
I think at least this solution will squash some of the fear out the transition. Above all, I believe people are terrified of losing the good thing everyone has built here.
Regardless of whether 4th edition is great or not, whether it caters to Ravenloft or not, it is a comfort to know the FoS will remain.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Yep, we're worse then roaches, just can't get rid of us.

8)
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

*glances off at possible storm clouds on the horizon*

I'm sure that we can handle the new version just fine. You have my best wishes on the conversion, should it come to that. Thanks for letting us know, Joël. :)
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I scanned the manifesto very closely and there was nothing about shooting capitalists. I suggest that this oversight be corrected, otherwise this manifesto's authenticity may be called into question by other organizations that have manifestos.

It's a bit like having an Axis of Evil, but allowing FOUR nations to join. Everybody knows an axis can only have three. Eh? Eh?
LordGodefroi
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by LordGodefroi »

Well if TPTB here at FoS are game for the extra work this is going to entail, why should I stand in the way of a solution that's going to make everyone happy ?
[url=http://www.classichorrorfilmboard.com/]Classic Horror Film Board[/url]

[url=http://www.halloweenartexhibit.com/]Annual Halloween Art Exhibit - Chicago[/url]
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

sounds like the right way to go to me... bravo...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
maraudar
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by maraudar »

Sounds great.. Its so nice to see a reasoned approach to this vs the screaming panicked approach on other sites..

Maraudar
Blade, fire, pistol or stake it matters not.. Even the undead can become true dead.
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

I agree with Maraudar. AND with the Esteemed Brothers, of course.
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I think the Players guide to Ravenloft is extrememly rules light, so it won't be a problem. I believe you chose the best solution.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

think the Players guide to Ravenloft is extrememly rules light, so it won't be a problem
Few feats here, few items there, probably a couple of vestiges, two or three prestige classes...no stats. Yeah, I guess so. :)
order99
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by order99 »

Speak not for me-I never left 2nd ed....

:mrgreen:

Okay, I may have segued into Gurps RL, Amazing Engine RL, Warhammer FRPG RL, various Homebrew RL's and even a Boot Hill 3rd ed. RL....

Er, okay, nevermind-i'm in.

:oops:
"And did she ever come out?"
"Not Yet".
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Here's an excerpt from a WotC interview by Christopher Perkins, Wizards of the Coast's Story Manager, D&D RPGs and Miniatures.

http://forums.gleemax.com/leaving.php?d ... 068p4.html

GameSpy: What settings are slated for 4th Edition support? Specifically, will there be 4th Edition sourcebooks for Eberron, Forgotten Realms? Are you planning on bringing back any older settings such as Planescape or Ravenloft and are there any new settings in the works?

Christopher Perkins: We will continue to support the Forgotten Realms and Eberron campaign settings both in game product and with novel lines. The Forgotten Realms campaign setting will be the first one updated for 4th Edition in print, with a new campaign guide releasing in August 2008. Other classic campaign settings may be revisited in print product as demand warrants, but not as full-blown product lines. Most of the support for these less-popular campaign settings will occur on D&D Insider, in the form of articles, wikipedias, and the like.

---

I think we are now setted as to the fate of the RL setting in 4e, no?

Which means this site will remain the only/main source of RL info in 4e!

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)