Wotc and Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft

Would WotC do Ravenoft justice?

Yes
13%
No
20%
That depends on who they get to write it.
67%

Total votes: 45

steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Wotc and Ravenloft

Post by steveflam »

Well I guess this merits a poll!!! Seeing as 4th edition is about to come out and all. I just want your opinion on if you think Wotc would butcher Ravenloft or do a good job. Feel free to state your opinions as well!
Last edited by steveflam on Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

You might want to add a "Depends who writes it" option, there. Some of WotC's designers really liked 2E-era Ravenloft, but others don't have any personal ties to the setting.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Um ok but if ya tell me how, I'll be glad to add an option, Roti ;) I've no idea how :oops:
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

tarlyn st-denfer wrote:Um ok but if ya tell me how, I'll be glad to add an option, Roti ;) I've no idea how :oops:
Done! You can probably do it just by editing the post, Tarlyn. That's how I did it, and I don't think it was because of special moderator powers.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

In edit I see no poll options Nathan ;)
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Spiteful Crow »

I think it depends on who writes it. If it's written by people who don't know a thing about the original Ravenloft and don't even bother reading about it, then it'll be crap just like EtCR was. If, on the other hand, they have someone write it who actually did their homework on the setting, they could probably do a much better job.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Well if they want people to write it they dont have to look far do they? :D
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jonathan Winters »

I voted ''depending who'', but I think it also has more to do with what the editor will ask for... :roll:

Patrick
Mysteries of Darkon (AKA Miranda Cornelius' Journal)
On hiatus while visiting Ptolus, City by the Spire, new RL-inspired campaign: Madness Rising!
www.bullonir.wikidot.com
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

Why do I have this dread feeling we would get monthly hard-cover sourcebooks like:

The Races of Ravenloft
The Magic of Ravenloft
The Power of Ravenloft
Faiths & Pantheons of Ravenloft
Savage Species of Ravenloft
Epic Ravenloft Handbook
Champions & Heroes of Ravenloft
Villains & Lords of Ravenloft
Dragons of Ravenloft
Mysteries of the Sea of Sorrows
Grand History of the Core
Ravenloft Underdark
Ravenloft Arms & Equipment Guide
Ravenloft Survival Guide
Ravenloft Magic Item Compendium
Ravenloft Spell Compendium
Ravenloft Weapons of Legacy
Complete Darklord
Ravenloft Miniatures Handbook
Secrets of the Clusters
and Three-Undead Ante cards? :roll:
I only wish I had retired sooner!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Catman Jim wrote:Why do I have this dread feeling we would get monthly hard-cover sourcebooks like:

The Races of Ravenloft
The Magic of Ravenloft
The Power of Ravenloft
Faiths & Pantheons of Ravenloft
Savage Species of Ravenloft
Epic Ravenloft Handbook
Champions & Heroes of Ravenloft
Villains & Lords of Ravenloft
Dragons of Ravenloft
Mysteries of the Sea of Sorrows
Grand History of the Core
Ravenloft Underdark
Ravenloft Arms & Equipment Guide
Ravenloft Survival Guide
Ravenloft Magic Item Compendium
Ravenloft Spell Compendium
Ravenloft Weapons of Legacy
Complete Darklord
Ravenloft Miniatures Handbook
Secrets of the Clusters
and Three-Undead Ante cards? :roll:
Heh you hit it dead on Catman Jim IMO. They need to get some people from here who love RL and have written wonderful netbooks and/or gazeteers.
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Igor the Henchman »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:You might want to add a "Depends who writes it" option, there. Some of WotC's designers really liked 2E-era Ravenloft, but others don't have any personal ties to the setting.
Me, I'm pickier than even that.

It would have to be people who loved 2E- and WW-era Ravenloft, but don't feel constrained by the weight of its tradition. Just as 3E Ravenloft felt and played differently from the TSR version, so should the new incarnation of the setting break into new paths.

I voted "yes", because, from what I've seen, WotC employs writers who are well versed in past D&D lore, and aren't afraid of doing things "their way", usually with good, or at least interesting results.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Igor the Henchman wrote:
Rotipher of the FoS wrote:You might want to add a "Depends who writes it" option, there. Some of WotC's designers really liked 2E-era Ravenloft, but others don't have any personal ties to the setting.
Me, I'm pickier than even that.

It would have to be people who loved 2E- and WW-era Ravenloft, but don't feel constrained by the weight of its tradition. Just as 3E Ravenloft felt and played differently from the TSR version, so should the new incarnation of the setting break into new paths.

I voted "yes", because, from what I've seen, WotC employs writers who are well versed in past D&D lore, and aren't afraid of doing things "their way", usually with good, or at least interesting results.
Yes 2nd Edition people were the best for RL. Just look at 3.0 + ;)

Mr. Nesmith did a fine job with the Realm of Terror box set. As well as some writers like Mr. Lowder or P.N Elrod.

Just look at any 2nd Ed adventures or books, they are all in that black and white font. I associate RL with that, not the new 3.0 versions. I mean who else thought the adventures or bx sets were really cool with the black n white?
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

I think that it really depends on who writes the new Ravenloft books, and if they actually care about the setting.

I know that long ago, TSR actually listened to their players and took their advice to heart when introducing new rules and some of their products. Wouldn't it be nice if Wizards did the same with 4E? In other words, make 4E a player's game... not just a new edition where they fix what they thought was broken? And should they decide to put out 4E Ravenloft, it would be nice to see them ask us (the people here at the Fraternity boards) what they would like to see... maybe even make us the official Ravenloft home or something.
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

lol Catman :)

---

I'm confident too. I wouldn't anticipate the RL 4e results just by looking at EtCR.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Guardian of Twilight wrote:I think that it really depends on who writes the new Ravenloft books, and if they actually care about the setting.

I know that long ago, TSR actually listened to their players and took their advice to heart when introducing new rules and some of their products. Wouldn't it be nice if Wizards did the same with 4E? In other words, make 4E a player's game... not just a new edition where they fix what they thought was broken? And should they decide to put out 4E Ravenloft, it would be nice to see them ask us (the people here at the Fraternity boards) what they would like to see... maybe even make us the official Ravenloft home or something.
Do you honestly think that would happen with Wotc? TSR was wonderful for listening to it's customers!

P.S - can ya tell I really like Wotc?