Old setting vote

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Old setting vote

Post by Joël of the FoS »

FWIW, there is a vote organized by a WotC board moderator, about which old setting you'd like to come back in 4e?

After a bleak start, Ravenloft is now at a comfortable third position, after Dark Sun and Planescape (which is cool as these great settings were ignored in 3e). Compiled results here.

If you haven't voted for Ravenloft yet, please do so at:
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=875750

(and you can vote for more than one setting, if you wish!)

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Yeah Planescape is cool. I don't trust Wizards to do Ravenloft after their latest adventure.
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Joël of the FoS

Still at third place. Everybody voted? :D
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

I cast a vote for Ravenloft :D
vipera aspis
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by vipera aspis »

i am casting my vote right now. Joel, go on a "VOTE OR DIE" spree and terrify fellow humans like puff daddy did.
my bones among the rocks and roots
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

vipera aspis wrote:i am casting my vote right now. Joel, go on a "VOTE OR DIE" spree and terrify fellow humans like puff daddy did.
I'm not convinced either of those count as human beings.
Joël of the FoS

Voting ended.

After nearly a thousand vote, while Planescape and Dark Sun lead the race, RL has an very honorable third place, well far before Greyhawk, Dragonlance and other settings.

Good message sent to WotC :)
172 Planescape
168 Dark Sun
119 Ravenloft
78 Greyhawk
74 Birthright
74 Spelljammer
44 Dragonlance
41 Al Qadim (Or similar Arabian Fantasy setting)
41 Other
34 Mystara
27 All Settings
21 New Setting
15 Kara-Tur
NykylaiHellray
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NykylaiHellray »

I never played dark sun or planescape, but I love there storyline.

Also I am curious how wotc would do ravenloft.....

But if they do, i hope they keep with the cover style of the covenent books. As that is cool artwork.
[quote="Kelliack"] It is the lost coin of the gods when they first flipped to see who would get which portfolio.[/quote]
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

I personally have never played either.

THat being said, Planescape is a vast source of information for those who are interested in plane travels or plan underwatre games or the like!

Dark Sun(2nd ed) I only have glanced at. KNow that Psionics are invlvolved as well as 10th level spells. And races are a little different as well if my memory serves me right ;)

As for the artwork, well I liked the artwork on most 2nd edition novels, Jeff Easley(sp) and others. Art is a given though. Everyone has their taste most definitely.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Humh. I've played Ravenloft (obviously), and Planescape, but it would seem that Dark Sun might be worth looking into.

Still, third place, not too shabby.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

Well, third place. That's nice, though I don't think that would collect as much attention as some of us would like.
tarlyn st-denfer wrote:Dark Sun(2nd ed) I only have glanced at. KNow that Psionics are invlvolved as well as 10th level spells. And races are a little different as well if my memory serves me right ;)
NeoTiamat wrote:Humh. I've played Ravenloft (obviously), and Planescape, but it would seem that Dark Sun might be worth looking into.
Planescape and Dark Sun in the first and second place, respectively, are not a surprise, considering the public D&D is currently aiming at. Both are high-powered settings (Though in very different ways) set in atypical environments, with special goodies (Factions, psionics) for players to toy with.

I used to be a hard-core DS fan and DM, and bought everything they published before the revision (The yellow box). Sadly, the huge metaplot took part of the best of the setting: The place of PCs as the real protagonists, most of the Sorcerer Kings (The DS version of Darklords ;) ), and most of the utter hopelessness of the setting as a dying world.

Don't get me wrong: It is still a great setting, if you want a Mad-Max-styled D&D experience, but it's not as much fun to play in it after the so-called "Age of Heroes" as it was during it.
"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom"
William Blake