What to do about WotC's bombshell?

Discussing all things Ravenloft

How should the FoS cope with 4th Edition?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:40 pm

Ignore it; it never happened. (EtCR didn't either.)
14%
Use 3.5 rules for netbooks, but update darklords' stats in QtR.
7%
Wait until Ravenloft 4E is released, then change if it's good enough.
42%
Switch over to 4E ASAP to facilitate campaigns' changing over.
9%
Support both editions in all netbooks, even if it slows the release-schedule.
23%
Other
5%

Total votes: 43

Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Igor the Henchman »

LordGodefroi wrote: In my opinion, conversion to a new game system shouldn't be expected of FoS as it adds more work for them. And its hard enough being a fan publisher without the extra work.

If, for example, someone wanted to use FUDGE as a system for RL, it would be the responsibility of the DM, not FoS, to convert the crunchy bits for game use. By the same token, those that want to use 4e for RL should convert to and from 3.5 on their own. Folks can still use FoS netbooks but the responsibility of converting them to their favored system will be on them.
Sound argument in theory, but supporting an obsolete system over the current one would limit the site's audience, since there's always more people playing with the "latest" rules. In fact, assuming a 4E version of Ravenloft won't come any time soon, there will be a huge demand for a conversion. And who must provide it, if not the Home of Ravenloft on the Web?

Ignoring the 4E-playing audience would be as absurd as suddenly reverting to 2nd edition without any reason.
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Igor the Henchman wrote:
LordGodefroi wrote: In my opinion, conversion to a new game system shouldn't be expected of FoS as it adds more work for them. And its hard enough being a fan publisher without the extra work.

If, for example, someone wanted to use FUDGE as a system for RL, it would be the responsibility of the DM, not FoS, to convert the crunchy bits for game use. By the same token, those that want to use 4e for RL should convert to and from 3.5 on their own. Folks can still use FoS netbooks but the responsibility of converting them to their favored system will be on them.
Sound argument in theory, but supporting an obsolete system over the current one would limit the site's audience, since there's always more people playing with the "latest" rules. In fact, assuming a 4E version of Ravenloft won't come any time soon, there will be a huge demand for a conversion. And who must provide it, if not the Home of Ravenloft on the Web?

Ignoring the 4E-playing audience would be as absurd as suddenly reverting to 2nd edition without any reason.
Playing devil's advocate here (which is shocking to me, because I remember how much I hated the idea of 3rd Ed, let alone 3.5) but a site that supports an obsolete game can still thrive. I run Vampire: The Masquerade online and we're always getting new players.

With this edition, though, I'm going to reserve judgement until I've seen it, rather than have the knee-jerk reaction I had last time.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Igor the Henchman »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:
Playing devil's advocate here (which is shocking to me, because I remember how much I hated the idea of 3rd Ed, let alone 3.5) but a site that supports an obsolete game can still thrive. I run Vampire: The Masquerade online and we're always getting new players.
Oh, I agree, FoS could do just fine sticking with the old edition. But if so, the site better renounce any claim to be "The" Ravenloft site. Because keeping up with the current system is part of the package that goes with the title.
Drinnik Shoehorn wrote: With this edition, though, I'm going to reserve judgement until I've seen it, rather than have the knee-jerk reaction I had last time.
Be sure to inform your diary: we're totally thinking alike. :)
Last edited by Igor the Henchman on Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Sounds like a potential future project to me. Maybe a "4E Ravenloft Companion" netbook, with converted rules and darklord stats? That way, people who do switch over can create an update they can all agree on, whether or not WotC eventually throws us a bone. No Elf Pirate Strahds need apply. :wink:

Just don't expect us to do all the work, okay? Moderators have budgets to live within too, y'know, so we may not all be switching ASAP. In fact, subcontracting some of the future netbooks' conversions out to fans of 4E might not be a bad plan, if we stick to writing stats primarily in 3.5 (because those are the books we already have).
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Igor the Henchman wrote:
Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:
Oh, I agree, FoS could do just fine sticking with the old edition. But if so, the site is better renounce any claim to be "The" Ravenloft site. Because keeping up with the current system is part of the package that goes with the title.
Drinnik Shoehorn wrote: With this edition, though, I'm going to reserve judgement until I've seen it, rather than have the knee-jerk reaction I had last time.
Be sure to inform your diary: we're totally thinking alike. :)
Wow... that's like 3 times in 8 years now... we should have a party or something... :)
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jonathan Winters »

Two things the way I see it:

- Wait and see.
Cos everything else is pretty much speculation at this point.

- What will the FoS want to do with 4E?
Are you guys even interested in converting your games?
This is a fan site, their fan site. If they're not having fun... Well...

Speaking for myself, if 4E builds on the foundations of 3E and you incorporate an old game into a new one easily, I will think about it.

I guess.

But do I want to learn a new game altogether? No. Too old and too cheap at this point! :)

I mean, I got ALL the 3E books I could want right now. Whatever I've bought lately has just been gravy.

Patrick

Oh! I almost forgot: Wizards is the Devil for putting out 4E! Yaddah, yaddah, yaddah... :)
Mysteries of Darkon (AKA Miranda Cornelius' Journal)
On hiatus while visiting Ptolus, City by the Spire, new RL-inspired campaign: Madness Rising!
www.bullonir.wikidot.com
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Jonathan Winters wrote:Two things the way I see it:

- Wait and see.
Cos everything else is pretty much speculation at this point.

- What will the FoS want to do with 4E?
Are you guys even interested in converting your games?
This is a fan site, their fan site. If they're not having fun... Well...

Speaking for myself, if 4E builds on the foundations of 3E and you incorporate an old game into a new one easily, I will think about it.

I guess.

But do I want to learn a new game altogether? No. Too old and too cheap at this point! :)

I mean, I got ALL the 3E books I could want right now. Whatever I've bought lately has just been gravy.

Patrick

Oh! I almost forgot: Wizards is the Devil for putting out 4E! Yaddah, yaddah, yaddah... :)
I agree with pretty much everything said here. Especially the "old and cheap" part :)
order99
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by order99 »

Yep, old and cheap do it for me too-it's why I don't do character write-ups onsite, i'm still using Masque 2E for the most part. :oops:

Come to think of it, I don't believe i've purchaed anything roleplaying-wise this year except for a $4 RPGNow supplement...very rare for me. Perhaps I have enough games at last,though more likely all the free stuff on the Net is spoiling me!
"And did she ever come out?"
"Not Yet".
Jeff LaSala
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Jeff LaSala »

I'm all for anything that gives a chance to reinvigorate the setting is worth it. I look forward to 4th Edition.

I'm less concerned about editions and more concerned about simply new Ravenloft development, period. I really enjoyed most of the White Wolf products. At this point, let's just hope the setting will get more attention. Certainly the upcoming Ravenloft novels suggest a new direction for things. Perhaps if the novels do well, WotC will consider revisiting the roleplaying side of the setting.
Jeff LaSala
Foreshadows.net / jefflasala.com

Wizards of the Coast
The Darkwood Mask (The Inquisitives, Eberron)
• DDI Eberron
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

They've said that only some settings will recieve official published updates and new campaign setting books. However, they have hinted that the other settings might be updated on the website. As a niche setting Ravenloft would be best served by an eUpdate, which would also mean it'd be online sooners.
Of course, a D&DInsider subscription would likely be required to read...