What to do about WotC's bombshell?

Discussing all things Ravenloft

How should the FoS cope with 4th Edition?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:40 pm

Ignore it; it never happened. (EtCR didn't either.)
14%
Use 3.5 rules for netbooks, but update darklords' stats in QtR.
7%
Wait until Ravenloft 4E is released, then change if it's good enough.
42%
Switch over to 4E ASAP to facilitate campaigns' changing over.
9%
Support both editions in all netbooks, even if it slows the release-schedule.
23%
Other
5%

Total votes: 43

Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

What to do about WotC's bombshell?

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Just a preliminary poll, to get people's initial opinions. Remember, we don't really have the slightest clue what 4th Edition D&D will be like yet, or how compatible it will be with Ravenloft. Nor do we know where Ravenloft is on their list of settings to be updated, or if it will be at all.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Scipio
Lord of the Repubic of Monte Mal
Lord of the Repubic of Monte Mal

Post by Scipio »

I'd vote for supporting both systems as I know a few people who will not switch over. It might slow the release a bit, but I'd be willing to help out with teh 3.x section of the netbooks until/unless I make the switch to 4e.
Dr. Cornelius Scipio, Rogue monster hunter, and owner of the Inn of the Drunken Wolf.

Rumors of my death are mildly exaggerated. I got better.
vipera aspis
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by vipera aspis »

We should continue to support the thirds but make the change. After all, when something becomes stagnent it begins to rot. We made the switch from 2nd to 3rd and FORCED it to work; so whats the problem with 3rd to 4th? Though with what it sounds like, it may be easier to convert 2nd to 4th then 3rd to 4th.
my bones among the rocks and roots
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Which is exactly why I'll like the 4th edition. :P
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Igor the Henchman »

How about the option to wait and see what the new edition is like, then, make a decision based on that?

Personally, I'm optimistic about 4th edition. Wish the D&DI would come sooner, so we could organize real-time online Ravenloft games between us Fraternity fans.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Again, this is just an initial opinion poll, to see where folks stand on the issue sight-unseen. Expect a lot more discussion to take place, once we've all gotten a look at the new system.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Surely the Devil has made his kingdom on Earth.
Flee flee!
Only the righteous will be spared!
Evil Reigns!!!!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Wait? Was 4th edition announced?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Yes Alhoon, it has been. Check the WotC website.

Personally, I say switch over to Fourth, with maybe a transitional period for the first year or so when we put it out in both versions, until 4E get's on its feet. Then just do pure Fourth.

I'd also strongly support putting out Errata or Updates or what not that would update the mechanics/NPCs/Monsters in the previous books, at least in the big ones like the Souragnien and Z-Gaz, and in the VRS. Ravenloft has never been very crunch heavy, so realistically it means update maybe four-five NPCs per book, maybe a monster and some feats or abilities. Not hard at all.

And ScS, if only the righteous will be spared, I suspect the Demiplane of Dread is in deep trouble....
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

The patient, err, victim has been bled dry. Not a drop more for the ravenous blood sucker that would turn us into its enslaved minions.

More seriously, the Wizards have done nothing positive for us, but they would love us to do something for them, so why give them the satisfaction of obliging the community to shell out a further fortune on yet another edition?

Remember these are the people who brought us Strahd come the Dread Elf Pirate of Lake Baratok, Madame Eva come the Hag in Chief, Dr Van Richten come Conan the Cleric, and basically have no respect for us and our setting whatsoever.
Last edited by cure on Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The cure for what ails you
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I would argue that Ravenloft updated to Third only because of White Wolf's work. And much of it is only updated to 3.0, too, not 3.5.

I have invested a lot in 3.5 and have arrived relatively recently to Third edition. I don't have the funds to follow WotC to Fourth edition. Also, as a moral issue, I thoroughly disapprove of this move, which I believe has less of the gamer's interest at heart and more to do with profit. (Rather similar to the dumping of Ravenloft and the release of EtCR with pirate elf fey Strahd.)

I will continue to contribute to the site, but only for 3.5. There is the off chance that they will really hit the ball out of the field for Fourth edition, but frankly I think this is just a marketing ploy. If the site has no place for 3.5 contributions, then I will go elsewhere.
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Spiteful Crow »

Am I the only one that sees 4th edition as an improvement to the system and not just a stab at our wallets? :shock:

I second what NeoTiamat said. Switch over to 4th when it comes out.
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

Pfft.

I'm a bitter, mean old 2E holdout.

So lemme just say...

Hah.
Go tell the Spartans, thou who passest by,
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Cole Deschain wrote:Pfft.

I'm a bitter, mean old 2E holdout.

So lemme just say...

Hah.
Cole was right! OMG Noesssss!

I don't see why we should convert to 4th Edition, why bother? Better to get the drop on them and begin Ravenloft's exodus to 5th Edition or as I call it 'Vth Edition'.

The V makes it cooler (and Roman).
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

Spiteful Crow wrote:Am I the only one that sees 4th edition as an improvement to the system and not just a stab at our wallets? :shock:
You're not. I'm all for it. If it has half the features they claim I'll gladly switch. The OGL is going to be updated so it's not like I even need to pay for anything, unless I have an overwhelming desire to see that stat block on a 4th ed. illithid. I think the netbooks really need to have 4e stats in them, even if it's alongside 3.5 material - anything else seems, to me at least, akin to releasing the Souragne Gazeteer in 2nd edition (only).
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."