Hello to all.....Bleak House info?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
The Wannabe
Conspirator
Conspirator

Hello to all.....Bleak House info?

Post by The Wannabe »

The Mists part to reveal.....The Wannabe!

Yea, apologies to people for disappearing again. I guess that shows how much staying power I have. Nowadays I work in counter-terrorism studies (of which the irony slays me, it do), and as such don't have much time for anything. Apologies to all before I drift back into the mists for another century.

So! On topic question: Has anyone yet found a place where one can buy a download of Bleak House? I've been dropping into RPGnow and related places on a not-so-regular basis, and as yet have had no luck, shame, alas. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be most appreciative and would put them on my list of people not to suffer confectionary obliteration.

Howdies to alhoon, Joel and all the rest. Cheerios and tinkerty-tonk til next time, and thanks in advance for any pointers in re one's question.

Gamewannabe
"C'mon guys, let's check it out.....what's the worst that could happen?"
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

I can't find anywhere to get a legal download of Bleak House, sorry. I do see that there are three used copies of the boxed set currently on US Ebay, ranging right now from one with no bids to one "Buy-it-now" for $80 US. Amazon has several used copies for sale as well, starting at $22 US.
I only wish I had retired sooner!
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

You can buy it at Amazon for 21.99 dunno that comes out to with Shipping & stuff though.

This is the link for buying it at amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... worldof-20
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Hey!

Nice to see you back!

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
The Wannabe
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by The Wannabe »

Shout out to Joel and Catman Jim!

Nice to BE back, assuming that I can manage to STAY back.....oy.....

Is there anyone who's ever planning to create a LEGAL (notice the word before you offer, hehehe) downloadable version? I'm trying to avoid hard copies, as I spend too much time moving around and would rather have a Ravenlaptop with everything in pdf form. Alas.

Thoughts?

Onlinewannabe
Jack of Tears
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

re

Post by Jack of Tears »

Is it still illegal to share copies of out of print books one owns? Not sure on the specifics of when it becomes acceptible ... not that I could be much use in that regard, but I was curious.

Honestly, though, Bleak House wasn't much to write home about - IMO the setting is better if you just ignore it entirely ... or at least rewrite the events so their more palatable.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Was it ever illegal to share in-print books one owns?

When do you draw the line between a DM taking a look at your "Complete Arcane" rulebook to rule on whether he'll allow a feat, and lending somebody your book indefinitely to look through?
The Wannabe
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by The Wannabe »

When it involves creating an entirely new copy so that your friend doesn't have to buy one? Yea, even if you don't charge, methinks that falls under something violation.

Not that I'm ever going to turn down such an offer, assuming that it was handled with all decorum :P

Lawwannabe
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

The Wannabe wrote:When it involves creating an entirely new copy so that your friend doesn't have to buy one?
Interesting, that's not the transaction I got in mind after reading your proposal.

The transaction I got in mind was somebody lending you their copy of the Bleak House boxed set to use on an indefinite period. No copying was necessary.

I'd lend you my copy if it weren't for the fact that my copy is in China.

The materials in that boxed set were not particularly good, if I recollect correctly. I thought the idea was an interesting one, but let down by writing that wasn't quite as good as the ambition.
The Wannabe
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by The Wannabe »

Well, to tell the truth, I agree that Bleak House is not the best of Ravenloft but it has its place and can be adjusted to other uses.

Thanks for the offer, but what I'm looking for in all Ravenloft stuffs is something that I can download onto my D&D laptop and take with me on my trips 'round the world. I actually don't have much time for roleplaying anymore (which makes me sad) but I do sometimes mess around and scribble ideas down. It helps take my mind of the darkness I see in real life. :D

Flightwannabe
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Hey whatever-Wannabe, May I ask... what do you mean Counter - terrorism studies? I didn't know that there was such a field. In case you do what I think you do, then you're
1. an important person(-wannabe)
2. are you going to start putting out manuals and yahoo-posts about protection?

Buy "ROLF!" It is cheap, and enjoyable. It is a must after a Ravenlof game IMO.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
The Wannabe
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by The Wannabe »

Oh yes.....ummm....Importantwannabe! That's me! :D

To be clearer, Terrorism and Counterterrorism Studies are a part of Political Science here where I be.....any hands-on operations that I might be involved in are not really discussable in this forum, methinks.

Covertwannabe