Train Master in Practice

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Turnip
Conspirator
Conspirator

Train Master in Practice

Post by Turnip »

So I was looking for a little advice for some hooks etc.

I am using the Train Master Idea that's been mentioned on these forums for a bit. I'm kind of swinging things in a different direction. In the background the Rail System is currently being set up by an entrepreneur this man isn't man but a Rashaka(sp?) masquerading as one. Right now in the background of my game he's gaining the legal clearances and finanacial backings to do such a thing. He's a Rockafellar type personality. The PCs haven't met him yet and don't have wind of this long term plot line. I plan on making this Villain also the darklord stuck on the Train at some point. This is very long term I hope to have things come to a head when the characters are 12-15ish maybe make the train available when they're 8-9ish. Right now they're levels 2 and 3.

A quick state of affairs of the group. They were members and opperators or a circus that was left to them by the owner, the first game opened up with the owner's funeral and she left it to one of the players. Right now, the group is land locked in Darkon. The circus is being run a few miles outside the city.

What I'm looking for here are some ways to introduce the big events in small doses. I want some rumors I can give them over time. Can anyone help out?
(optionally if the scenario strikes you and you have other adventure hook ideas come to you, don't hold back feel free to share I love Dm brainstorms.)
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Re: Train Master in Practice

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Turnip wrote: I am using the Train Master Idea that's been mentioned on these forums for a bit. I'm kind of swinging things in a different direction. In the background the Rail System is currently being set up by an entrepreneur this man isn't man but a Rashaka(sp?) masquerading as one. Right now in the background of my game he's gaining the legal clearances and finanacial backings to do such a thing. He's a Rockafellar type personality.
Tale Spin? :lol:

There's an immediate connection between owning/running a circus and the Carnival--not that you'd want to have them meet or anything, but the Carnival game information might be really useful for this part of the game. Are you using it already?
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Turnip
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Turnip »

Lol talespin indeed. It hadn't occured to me, but funny none the less.

I assume that carnival is existing in my campain world. I may use it at some point as during the funeral episode the circus did lose a few carnies due to lack of confidence in the new ownership. Those Npcs are most likely experiencing the carnival off camera and may perhaps become a tie in later.
Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

Just remember this Rockefeller guy will have to contend with several darklords and governments to get his train system going. Some might be hostile to the idea, others might require huge kickbacks to allow it. This guy's gonna have some tough diplomacy to pull off.
Turnip
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Turnip »

Wheeling and dealing/aggressive negotiations are actually what will eventually lead to the Npc's permanent stay in the land of the mists.

I guess I can open things up on that front. The PCs are just so far away from the pulse of the city that it's hard to get rumors there way sometimes. They're very scared of going in the city any longer than they have to.
Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

Perhaps have them actually see construction on sections of rail- they'll naturally be intrigued (as their chars prolly never seen anything like it) OR perhaps the local government is displacing people that live in the path of the soon to be built track. The latter might be the perfect hook if these chars actually care about others.
Turnip
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Turnip »

Archedius wrote:OR perhaps the local government is displacing people that live in the path of the soon to be built track.
I love this. I don't know how inclined my group will be to help or not, but with the proper plot fish hooking we definitely have a seed for an emotional real to life adventure. Trail of tears type stuff but with small townsfolk. Has possibilities. :D
NykylaiHellray
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NykylaiHellray »

Ah someone finally putting my train master idea into practice abit in a different form =)