Unhallowed's "Van Richten" Miniature

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Unhallowed's "Van Richten" Miniature

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

So okay, last night I opened up a D&D Miniatures booster box from the Unhallowed expansion (expecting Strahd to pop out), lo and behold I get a handaxe-wielding Van Richten complete with EPIC stats (for D&D Miniatures)! Woohoo! :)

In the Unhallowed version, he's a Cleric 11/Sacred Purifier 3 (PrC from Libris Mortis), which I guess isn't all that bad considering everything.

Now as you all know I'm not a Ravenloft fundamentalist; as much as possible, I want to connect the Ravenloft we know to what D&D is today. Van Richten being a Sacred Purifier is alright, but can his cleric-ness (domains Healing and Sun) be justified? For me I guess yeah.
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Unhallowed's "Van Richten" Miniature

Post by steveflam »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:So okay, last night I opened up a D&D Miniatures booster box from the Unhallowed expansion (expecting Strahd to pop out), lo and behold I get a handaxe-wielding Van Richten complete with EPIC stats (for D&D Miniatures)! Woohoo! :)
Let me know what you think of Strahd when you do get him. I was not impressed with his mini at all. I buy them for the 3.5 D&D games I play for our battles(Also lots of them look really cool) I am now on my 5th set and the last one was not very good IMO. The Werewolf Lord & the Ogre Executioner are really good looking though. Hopefully they will do better with the next one.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

He's not a rogue anymore? (Or if not, a fighter?)

It's just an odd choice of class, since none of the texts written so far about him mention divine powers...

But we have to put this in the same file as EtCR and the elf pirate Strahd: as something else not related at all to the RL setting.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
cpt_machine
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by cpt_machine »

All the source books place Van Richten as being a rogue with no magical abilities and he was highly distrustful of magic as a side effect of his 'work'.
"The Light of the sky shining over the dead shall gutter and fail, turning all to red."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:So okay, last night I opened up a D&D Miniatures booster box from the Unhallowed expansion (expecting Strahd to pop out), lo and behold I get a handaxe-wielding Van Richten complete with EPIC stats (for D&D Miniatures)! Woohoo! :)

In the Unhallowed version, he's a Cleric 11/Sacred Purifier 3 (PrC from Libris Mortis), which I guess isn't all that bad considering everything.

Now as you all know I'm not a Ravenloft fundamentalist; as much as possible, I want to connect the Ravenloft we know to what D&D is today. Van Richten being a Sacred Purifier is alright, but can his cleric-ness (domains Healing and Sun) be justified? For me I guess yeah.
Now, they never said this was Rudolph van Richten, right? ;D
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

IIRC, the old sage mentions in one of his VRGs that if his life had followed a different path, he might have heeded the calling to become a cleric.

EtCR is a rehash of I6, which is set in 528 BC, right? Maybe the cleric-VR lived back then, and the herbalist-cum-monster-hunter we know and love is his reincarnation. Just a thought.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Van Richten training himself as a theif was a dream.

Strahd dressing in black and not looking like the Dread Elf-Pirate of Lake Baratok was a dream.

Ravenloft not being filled with domains from Eborron (how do you spell that any way?) was a dream too.

And when WOTC does d20 Mutant Ninja Turtles, Azalin being an undead human tyrant rather than being a misunderstood and oversized undead shell of his former self will be every bit as much a dream.

The nightmare has just begun . . .
Last edited by cure on Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
The cure for what ails you
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

cure wrote:Van Richten training himself as a theif was a dream.

Strahd dressing in black and not looking like the Dread Elf-Pirate of Lake Baratok was a dream.

Ravenloft not being filled with domains from Eborron (how do you spell that any way?) was a dream too.

And when WOTC does d20 Mutant Ninja Turtles, Azalin being a human tyrant rather than being a misunderstood and oversized undead turtle will be every bit as much a dream.

The nightmare has hardly begun . . .
LOL... funny, yet I can imagine it happening, spooky...
Swallow your soul!
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

Nathan of the FoS wrote:Now, they never said this was Rudolph van Richten, right?
Sad to say, but they did call him "Rudolph" in the online Preview article

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mi/20061221a
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

Correction to the original post: Van Richten is a cleric 11/sacred purifier 5.
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

In truth, I find this a little depressing. Did anyone actually bother to read who Van Richten actually was?

Then again, it's still better then the Elf-Strahd and Hag-Eva.

To me, this kind of shows that someone with only a very cursory knowledge of Ravenloft made the mini. "This Van Richten dude, he's what, a vampire hunter, yeah? Must be a sun cleric."

Ignore me, I get gloomy.... :(
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I dunno. I think WotC doesn't take steps this drastic in overhauling a campaign setting without some careful research. They are after all a commercial corporate entity, and some people on these boards think that excuses all sorts of odd behavior on their part.

That having been said, I still think this direction they're taking the campaign setting in is DAMN WRONG.
Big Bad Jack
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Big Bad Jack »

Personally, I was outraged at the notion of Van Richten as some badass "undead slayer".. I have a beloved REALMS character, a Kelemvorite Paladin/Cleric/SacredPurifier.... a Realms character. Making Rudolph a cleric shows an utter disrespect for Ravenloft canon -- though from what I've got to see of EtCR, WotC has already proven how little they care about the setting...
[i]Formerly [b]The Watcher in the Woods[/b][/i]

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built."
-- Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic II
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

To be fair, Van Richten would make a terrible addition to the mini game if he kept his old stats.

On the other hand, it doesn't look much like him, does it? :P I think maybe it's because he's blond now.... I'd be more tempted to use the High Inquisitor mini for him appearance-wise.
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Isabella wrote:To be fair, Van Richten would make a terrible addition to the mini game if he kept his old stats.
VR's usual MO wouldn't really fit the minis game, no.