Monte Cook's "World of Darkness:" better than RL?

Discussing all roleplaying games
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Monte Cook's "World of Darkness:" better than RL?

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

Monte Cook will finally release his own version of the "World of Darkness" within the year. A writeup for this version has been posted on the White wolf site: rumor flying in the past year around the boards has stated that it would be in d20 format, and thus would make it probably more popular than Ravenloft 3.5e.
It's today. Or maybe tomorrow. The world in Monte Cook's World of Darkness is Earth as we know it, with all its shortcomings, problems, sorrows, joys, blessings and triumphs.

At least, it was the world we know, until a year ago, when everything changed. Yet still, it's similar. The events of one year ago are easy to grasp, though only a few know the truth about them — and no one knows the whole truth.

Supernatural beings now exist in the world, they have not had a long, secret history of interaction with humanity. They showed up a year ago. Thus, to play this game, you don't need to read through lengthy histories. In addition, the technology, the people, and the cities are elements we all know.

Characters have access to information, technology and weapons that you are familiar with in the real world. Characters likely can drive cars, use computers, and have cell phones. They conceivably could fly jet airliners, fire automatic rifles, develop anti-venom serums, or hack into computer networks.

The difference is: They do so while struggling against eldritch horrors beyond their ability to comprehend.
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

I'd question that claim.
World of Darkness made most of its fans using a vastly different system. Going over to D20 sounds like a massive shift - something that would probably split the fan community.
As well, a modern setting using D20 rules would compete more with D20 Modern than with Ravenloft.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I agree, any world that has computers and cell phones doesn't compete with RL by definition.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

I have read the previews given at the WW page, and I think I'll skip.

From what I understand, it won't exactly be Vampire d20, but an entirely new setting. Especially with MotRD, Dark Matter, Grimm and Cthulhu out for d20 (and soon, Delta Green!), I think there are way better ways to spend one's money for d20-based Horror books.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Wait... will it use D20? That's not WoD then, that's a special campaign within d20 modern where the beasties showed up just last year.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
cpt_machine
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by cpt_machine »

I might have been intrested to see someone elses take on the WOD, however using the D20 system for something like this is a massive turn-off. If its true I will not be buying this game.
"The Light of the sky shining over the dead shall gutter and fail, turning all to red."
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

Interesting, but I'll stick with RL.
Forgotten Son of Lord Vasili
order99
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by order99 »

Only the name Monte Cook elicits any interest at all.

Otherwise, MEH.
"And did she ever come out?"
"Not Yet".
LordGodefroi
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by LordGodefroi »

Rafael wrote:I have read the previews given at the WW page, and I think I'll skip.
--
Gamer1: "It's just like the real world only supernatural beasties showed up only a year ago."

Gamer2: "Gee, I didn't know they made Wolff & Byrd: Counselors of The Macabre into a role-playing game. Does "Quick ! To The Bat-Fax" mean anything to you ?"
--

Yeah. I'll probably skip it too. The premise sounds dull. I like old secrets, ancient mysteries, and extensive histories.

Supernatural Law; formerly Wolff & Byrd: Counselors of The Macabre
[url=http://www.classichorrorfilmboard.com/]Classic Horror Film Board[/url]

[url=http://www.halloweenartexhibit.com/]Annual Halloween Art Exhibit - Chicago[/url]
GoldenGoblin
Conspirator
Conspirator
Location: Ivlis Swamp, Barovia Valicia's Cave in a secure shelter

Post by GoldenGoblin »

I have been reading through it and I must say its a neat twist. Alot has been streamlined and is d20 familiar. Like feats, skills.
They pretty much break all the vampire 'races'
They are all on a generalized path of disciple next level some saves next level discipline.

Seems some got morphed into others. The mage magic system is more d20 like.

All in all so far it looks good. We will have to playtest it against our revised revised WW system and see.
[url=http://campaignhq.blogspot.com/]Campaign Headquarters Log[/url]

I despise all weavers of the dark arts ... speaking of which pass the gravy

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korgoth_of_Barbaria]Korgoth[/url]