the old Cathedral in Dementlieu

Discussing all things Ravenloft
kottakinge
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

the old Cathedral in Dementlieu

Post by kottakinge »

Hello there.
I was wondering where i can find info about ze old cathedral in port a lucine.
In Gazeteer they said that the anchorites found a relic of Ezra and a text where the worship of the ancient cult looks like those of Ezra.
The cathedral is 400 years old but what was this cullt before.
Even if Dementlieu inhabitants don't really care about religion there is somewhere some clue about this old cathedral.
Any ideas?
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

One thing I've always believed- take any time references in Ravenloft with a grain of salt. ;)
Go tell the Spartans, thou who passest by,
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
kottakinge
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by kottakinge »

One thing I've always believed- take any time references in Ravenloft with a grain of salt.
Ok anyone have something more spicy? :)
cpt_machine
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by cpt_machine »

It not unusual in RL to encounter abandoned old temples or churchs put into the world by the mists with no false history to back it up. The Morning Lord temple in Barovia was there before the religion began and no one knew why it was there (see Vampires of the Mist)

However things in the Mist are much more sinster than they first appear and theres nothing to say you cant have a plot point attatched to it that rears it ugly head.
Last edited by cpt_machine on Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Light of the sky shining over the dead shall gutter and fail, turning all to red."
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Given that domains reflect the personalities of their darklords, it could be that the cathedral is an expression of Dominic d'Honaire's own feelings about the Ezran faith, when he received his darklordship. As he's a very impious guy and was quite young at the time, he may well have believed that the Church was a load of navel-gazing, antiquated hooey; hence, the old cathedral appeared to ensure Ezra's faith, as practiced in Dementlieu, would become a lot like that.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

cpt_machine wrote:The Morning Lord temple in Barovia was there before the religion began and no one knew why it was there (see Vampires of the Mist)
That chapel in Castle Ravenloft and the abandoned church in the village weren't dedicated to the Morninglord, but to Andral, Barovia's native solar deity. They're different gods, although the Morninglord's own association with dawn gave them enough similarity for Jander to activate the HSoR in that novel.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

Well, not that it is official in any way, but sometime, somewhere, I read something about the church of Ezra having a relationship with the faith of Hala (Before I read Gaz 3 and 4), and I made a RW connection between the two faiths, similar to the connection that exists between the pagan faiths and the catholic church in northwestern Europe, especially in Ireland and England. As I recall -from what I've read -, several temples in that area used to be places of worship to the pagans, transformed into huge cathedrals by the catholics, and most of them still retain a lot of the imagery and symbolism of the older faiths. If the temple in Dementlieu is suppossed to have hidden inscriptions of a mystical nature, then it may have been a place of worship to Hala years ago.

Now, after reading the Gazs, my thoughts have changed a little, but the core remains the same.
"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom"
William Blake
Jennifer
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Jennifer »

Hi Kottakinge,
If you want to know more about the church of Ezra, check out the "Book of Secrets" to be found here http://www.kargatane.com/ in there is an article, anchors of the faith, which details the rise and rise of the church of Ezra in ravenloft. The cathedral is mentioned in it as well.

Jennifer
kottakinge
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by kottakinge »

Hi Jennifer.
I have the book of secret since a long time and didn't remenber it speaks about the cathedral, will have a look.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

There is also an article in some of the BoS, I think, about the Gargoyle of an old Cathedral. I don't remember if it is tied to any particular place, but the Gargoyle and the plot could be useful.

I have shortlisted it once to enter in my campaign.

Alex
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Ail wrote:There is also an article in some of the BoS, I think, about the Gargoyle of an old Cathedral. I don't remember if it is tied to any particular place, but the Gargoyle and the plot could be useful.

I have shortlisted it once to enter in my campaign.

Alex
The gargoyle is set in Levkarest, and works well there in this busy religious center, but indeed with some tweaking it can be moved elsewhere.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)