Invidian Civil War, Part II

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gwenfloor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Invidian Civil War, Part II

Post by Gwenfloor »

Okay, our previous Ravenloft campaign that involved the war in Invidia drew to a close. Not having anyone play, plus we were in another campaign, I decided to plan things out ahead of time when my players eventually begin another Ravenloft game.
Malocchio and Gabrielle Aderre are dead. Ardonk Sezerria is the true father of Gabrielle's daughter. Dromir the Necromancer is now the new Darklord of Invidia. He turned against his allies and now controls western Invidia. The Gundarakites, under Ardonk Sezerria, control northeast and north-central Invidia, the Wolfweres of Matton Blanchard have been suffering heavy losses and have very little territory, mostly around northwest Invidia. Karina and Curriculo have become city-states with their own governments. The Lord's Men and the Falknovian mercs have all been slaughtered by Dromir's hordes of ghouls.
Karina is a war zone, being closest to Dromir's territory. Murder and mayhem is a daily occurrence in the former capital city. Hordes of skeletons battle Invidian soldiers under the power of soldiers who used to be under Malocchio's rule.
Dromir sent agents out to Invidia's borders to construct military garrisons to prevent anyone from entering or leaving the country without his or his superiors' direct orders. This program has met with little success.
Nathan Timothy's werewolves in Verbrek are using this as an oppurtunity to gain revenge on Malocchio's troops for killing their brethren that have infiltrated the society.
Word of the slaughter of the Falknovian troops has reached Lekar, and Vlad Drakov is furious. He would like to perform military action to kill this "Darkonian magician," but this would mean crossing through Borca or Richemulot, which would involve an all-out war between the Four Towers.
Azalin has also gotten word of the death of the Dukkar. This displeases him greatly, and he has found out that the new Darklord is a Darkonian, nonetheless!
I have a lot of plans for the changes in Invidia for my next campaign, but I have a few questions:
1.) Would Vlad Drakov be stupid enough to send his army to Invidia to gain revenge for the slaughter of his troops, even though it would cause a war with four countries against him?
2.) How will the Vistani react at the death of the Dukkar? How will treat Dromir? Dromir was smart enough to see the power of the Vistani, and offered them asylum from their Invidian oppressors and what remains of Malocchio's loyalists. Would it be typical of the Vistani to take up his offer, even though western Invidia is literally crawling with death, disease, famine, and undead?
3.) What would Azalin do when he realizes that someone killed the Dukkar, disrupting whatever plans that he had? Also note that Dromir is now a full-fledged Darklord in his own right!
What would be a proper poetically-justified curse, as all darklords must have, for a death-obsessed Cleric of the Eternal Order, who is addicted to Necromancy?

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!
Who knew that such a rural country with so few people could become the largest war-zone in the Core?
It is kind of sad, really. While Malocchio and Gabrielle are dead, the country is far worse off. Is there hope for the Invidian spirit? :(
"Deities are no more than mortals with supernatural powers, and thus are capable of making mistakes."
~Alper, Kobold Alchemist in my Ravenloft Campaign
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Whoa... Yugoslavia, eat your heart out. :shock:
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Invidian Civil War, Part II

Post by Cole Deschain »

Gwenfloor wrote:1.) Would Vlad Drakov be stupid enough to send his army to Invidia to gain revenge for the slaughter of his troops, even though it would cause a war with four countries against him?
Drakov's pretty damned stupid...
But inciting a multi-front war just to punish a distant foe wouldn;t pan out.

He'd be more likely to send a few idio- I mean Mercenaries... like PCs, for example.
2.) How will the Vistani react at the death of the Dukkar? How will treat Dromir? Dromir was smart enough to see the power of the Vistani, and offered them asylum from their Invidian oppressors and what remains of Malocchio's loyalists. Would it be typical of the Vistani to take up his offer, even though western Invidia is literally crawling with death, disease, famine, and undead?
They seem to like Barovia just fine.
3.) What would Azalin do when he realizes that someone killed the Dukkar, disrupting whatever plans that he had? Also note that Dromir is now a full-fledged Darklord in his own right!
What would be a proper poetically-justified curse, as all darklords must have, for a death-obsessed Cleric of the Eternal Order, who is addicted to Necromancy?
Az will go back to the drawing board.

As for your necro-fiend... maybe just make it so that little signs of life pop up around him when he least wants them?

Kinda shooting blind here....
Go tell the Spartans, thou who passest by,
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
Gwenfloor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Gwenfloor »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:Whoa... Yugoslavia, eat your heart out. :shock:
What do you mean by "eat your heart out?"
"Deities are no more than mortals with supernatural powers, and thus are capable of making mistakes."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Gwenfloor wrote:
Rotipher of the FoS wrote:Whoa... Yugoslavia, eat your heart out. :shock:
What do you mean by "eat your heart out?"
Essentially "The social upheaval in Invidia following the events of your campaign makes the upheaval in the wake of the dissolution of Yugoslavia look mild and bearable." That's how I read it, anyway.

WRT the curse--why did Dromir become a necromancer? What does he enjoy about it, or hope to gain from it?
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Gwenfloor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Gwenfloor »

Basically, he likes total and complete control over others, and what better way than to control the bodies, and sometimes, souls, of your enemy?
That gives me a great idea for a curse! Loss of control!
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Spiteful Crow »

Gwenfloor wrote:Basically, he likes total and complete control over others, and what better way than to control the bodies, and sometimes, souls, of your enemy?
Make any undead he creates randomly gain free will and rebel against him. And make it so that there's always a community of living people somewhere in the domain fighting him, no matter what he does. :twisted:

* is glad Dromir won the election for darklord *
Gwenfloor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Gwenfloor »

Spiteful Crow wrote:
Gwenfloor wrote:Basically, he likes total and complete control over others, and what better way than to control the bodies, and sometimes, souls, of your enemy?
Make any undead he creates randomly gain free will and rebel against him. And make it so that there's always a community of living people somewhere in the domain fighting him, no matter what he does. :twisted:

* is glad Dromir won the election for darklord *
Malocchio loyalists, Gundarakites, wolfweres, and the Werewolves of Verbrek. Plenty of living opponents right there!
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Spiteful Crow »

Gwenfloor wrote:Malocchio loyalists, Gundarakites, wolfweres, and the Werewolves of Verbrek. Plenty of living opponents right there!
Well, he just got his darklordship. I'm saying that even if he manages to stamp them all out, random splinter cells will keep popping up.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Simply having the undead he creates turn against them is kind of drab, IMO. At least as VRGttWD has it, that sort of thing can happen to any necromancer who keeps the Obedient Dead around to long; it's just not unique enough for a darklord's curse, IMO. :?

Instead, perhaps the undead he creates are so servile and eager to please him, they cause problems by their very enthusiasm to serve. He tells some zombies to build an impregnable wall around his lair, and the zombies build one so impregnable that it doesn't even have a door. He demands that his ghouls serve his needs, and they lovingly redecorate his bedroom with the nicest accoutrements they can think of: rotting organs and flesh. He orders his minions to help him create an army of undead, and they oblige by trying to trigger another Requiem, with Dromir's home as ground zero.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Mmm... Nice to see I'm not the only one to really think something of the civil war. In mine I killed Gabby only to have the players resurrect her, Malocchio had no interest in the land, and given that the DP's couldn't control him or make him a DL the domain was vanishing into those about it. Essentially, without the border, Malocchio would've been freed from his Vistani curse. Clever plot devices, the vistani and a useful curse soon made the players realised they'd made the whole situation worse in letting Gabby die, heheh.
Swallow your soul!
Isabella
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Isabella »

Going off Rotipher's premise, and since Dromir is being described as a real control freak, maybe all of his undead are semi-intelligent and free-willed, even the zombies and skeletons. They could very well be loyal to him and do what ever he says, but they act like normal people and can't be commanded on a moment to moment basis. That means they screw up like normal people too. They might even bug him with questions and alternate plans. It could get really annoying after a while.

It could even provide interesting ways for PCs to escape the Darklord's wrath. They don't have to outsmart him, just his undead,.

Of course, that brings up the question of why he'd stick with necromancy if they did that all the time. :?
"No, but evil is still being — Is having reason — Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
Gwenfloor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Gwenfloor »

Isabella wrote: Of course, that brings up the question of why he'd stick with necromancy if they did that all the time. :?
He just became a Darklord, so he would not be used to it as if he had been a Darklord for years.