CONTEST: VRS Research Files' Research Challenge!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

CONTEST: VRS Research Files' Research Challenge!

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

It's been a while, and much longer than I'd intended, but the new monster netbook VRS Research Files: Doppelgangers is rapidly coming together.

At the current rate of progress, I expect to have the text ready for pdf conversion by the end of May. Stephen has whipped up a fantastic cover (kudos, dude!), and various contributors have submitted an inspiring collection of information, stories, and artwork (my deepest thanks to you all). Doppelgangers will never be dismissed as one-trick-pony monsters again, and folks who may not have considered them "Gothic" enough for Ravenloft will have plenty of cause to think twice! :D

But, as often happens, there's one area of this netbook which is sorely in need of fleshing out, that I simply won't have time to tackle on top of both the main text and the Nocturnal Sea project: reference material!

Like the classic TSR and Arthaus Van Richten's Guides, the VRF:D could use some creepy quotes from real-world literature, history and/or folklore, to evoke the proper (paranoid! :twisted: ) ambience with readers. Moreover, as a kind of monster which was invented specifically for the D&D game, there aren't any obvious non-game sources which DMs can consult, while designing scenarios involving doppelgangers. There are thousands of books, films, comics and tv programs out there providing ideas about vampires, lycanthropes, and other creatures derived from real-life mythology, but for Zherisia's inhuman imposters, inspirational reading is a rather limited resource.

So, rather than ransack the shelves of book and video stores myself -- and thus, delay this netbook even further :roll: -- I'm making an open-ended invitation for folks to submit their recommended (and non-D&D) references and/or quotations I can cite in the doppelganger book. Ideas should be sent to my e-mail address with "[VRF Challenge]" in their subject headings, and your message should include your FoS Forum login. Whoever submits the greatest number of ideas I accept for inclusion in the VRF:D will receive one current hardbound RPG gamebook ($25-$35) of their choice, my treat! :D

Remember that, as doppelgangers are not drawn from folklore, the classics of mythology or Gothic literature aren't the best places to go looking: scifi and suspense-thrillers will be more fruitful hunting-grounds. Be aware, also, that Ravenloft adventures involving these imposters will tend to fall into three categories:

1) The "Who Goes There?" suspense-scenario of isolation and paranoia, as seen in Campbell's science fiction short story of that title and in loads of contemporary serial-killer flicks.

2) The "Fight Club"-style venture into psychological horror and shattered identity, in which even the protagonists' own nature and sanity are thrown into doubt.

3) The "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" conspiracy theorist's nightmare, as seen repeatedly on "The X-Files" and in such aliens-among-us sources as Wyndham's "The Midwich Cuckoos".

Quotes and references will be chosen for the VRF:D netbook based on the needs of individual topic-chapters (quotes) or on their relevance to D&D's doppelgangers (references), as well as those standards applied to other FoS netbooks (e.g. not too raunchy, silly, or long). If two people happen to send me the same reference, the first submitter will be given credit for it (first come, first served). If you submit a reference which is so obscure that a Wikipedia or amazon.com search can't dig up a handy summary, please also include a brief statement as to why you think it's appropriate for the doppelganger-book, so I have a basis for comparison with other submissions. No entry taken from actual D&D game products or novels will be considered, as the goal of this Challenge is to broaden the scope of DMs' inspirational reading beyond what TSR/WotC have had to say about doppelgangers.

All submitters whose entries are included in the VRF:D will be credited in the finished product. Entries must arrive in my hotmail mailbox by 1:00 am EST on Saturday, May 26th, to be considered.

Good luck, everyone! :D
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Okay, I've received some super quotes so far ... but don't forget, titles of references for the "inspirational reading" list are also eligible!

They don't have to be Victorian-era period pieces, either: X-Files and the serial-killer flick Taking Lives are already on the list, and they're looking kinda lonely there. Plus, there's practically no limit to how many "recommended reading/viewing" entries I can include, unlike the quotes which I'll only be able to use a few of. :wink:
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
The Nightmare Man
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Nightmare Man »

I've found what may be 'somewhat useful' references in some of the older Star*Drive monster books...

Aye you interested?
"When she embraces
Your heart turns to stone
She comes at night when you are all alone
And when she whispers
Your blood shall run cold
You better hide before she finds you"
-- [i]Ice Queen[/i], Within Temptation
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Hmmm. Other gamebooks might be acceptable if I'm really hard up for reference material, but let's see how much else comes in first, OK? Again, I'd rather we kept clear of RPG references if possible.

Don't lose that list of Star*Drive references, though. I'll let you know if I need them after all! :)
The Nightmare Man
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Aye.

I may even find something more to add to it, during the interim...
"When she embraces
And when she whispers
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Less than three days left for this one, folks! I'm still coming up short on the reference-list, so please: keep those suggestions coming. :D
The Nightmare Man
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I've had to cut a few from my list, because the references themselves may not be clear for those that don't have the Star*Drive books [and they are difficult to find these days].

I'll see if I can find anything else of use in the next day or so.
"When she embraces
And when she whispers
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Contest closed. I'll announce the winner tomorrow.

Great contributions, gang! :D

(Further submissions to the VRF:D reference list are still welcome, of course, for anyone who missed the deadline.)
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Well, folks, we have a winner ... and, believe it or not, it's someone who's now two-for-two on contests! :D

Congratulations to cure, with a total of eleven of his many fine entries selected! Just let me know what book to track down for you, dude, and where I should have it sent.

An honorable mention goes to gonzoron, our runner-up with seven entries selected.

Way to go, everyone! All submitters whose quotes or references are used will be duly credited in the VRF:D. :D
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Bravo Robert (cure)! It seems you will get a bigger D&D library! :)

And kudos to the runner up, Ron, and other participants too!

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

cool, glad to be of service.

(Just FYI, The Thing, which I lumped into the "Who goes there?" category, actually is "Who goes there?" The movie was based on the short story. I just found that out today, in case you didn't know.)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Oh yes, Campbell's "Who Goes There?" was already on the list. It even had some influence on the contents of the netbook. :-)

But I didn't have any actual quotes from the movie under consideration until you sent your entries in, Ron. So, thanks again!
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Just to let you know, the prize has been received.

They may be EVIL, but they keep their word. ;-)
The cure for what ails you