"Moonlight Madness" in Barovia (Spoilers galore!)

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

"Moonlight Madness" in Barovia (Spoilers galore!)

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Hi all,

Tinkering on my Halloween/autumn game already.

Some time before, I bought *Moonlight Madness* on ebay.

[Here a link to a description of the module: CLICKY]

Terribly reailroady, but fit for one or two sessions of gaming.

Of course, I want to run it in Ravenloft. :)

Now, this is where my problems start:

Last year, our Halloween campaign ended with the party leaving the destroyed city of Vallaki in northern direction, to the Midway Heaven Lighthouse, and, supposedly, to Darkon.

Now, I would like Moonlight Madness to take palce in Barovia again, preferredly as a direct sequel to "The Nine of Hearts" with the same players and characters.

Can anyone of you please give me a good advice how I tailor the story in a way that a) the party gets infected with lycantrophy b) stays in Barovia
and c) the setting still resembles canon Barovia at least to a point that makes it easy to eventually continue the game on another occassion?

Any ideas welcome!

(Yes, I know, it's still early in the year, but my free time is usually sparse and I have to be careful when I spend my time on "useless" gaming.)

Yours,

Rafael
Sylaire
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sylaire »

..."Dwarfenball"?
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Ways to catch lycanthropy besides the obvious getting bitten by a lycanthrope:

Poorly cooked blood saussage with sharp bone splinters.
Eating raw lycanthropic meat generally.
The serum that the Falkovnian Ministry of War is developing.
The serum that Jacqueline Renier is developing (but it only yields wererats).
A blood transfusion.
A blood ritual.
Sharing a knife in the back.
Cutting oneself with one's own weapon while cleaning off the blood of a lycanthrope.
Chasing a lycanthrope through caltrops or (when barefooted) broken glass.
Following a lycanthrope into a spike or needle trap.
A vampire who had just fed upon a lycanthrope feeding on you (and in the case of an interrupted vampire marriage, that is to say a vorlog, the chance of contracting the dread disease should be very high indeed).
A tango with an infected blood elemental.
An organ transplant, administered by Mordenheim (this actually appears in the canon Larmordian adventure).
Unsafe sex.
A cursed magic item (the Ivory Ring of the Wolf from canon, or my Kartakan violin into which an infected lycanthrope bound his lycanthropy).
Teleportation accident (yet another reason to not travel with lycanthropes)
Heretity
A very angry raunie.

Of course once an individual is infected, he can infect the others.

For my money, subjecting the adventurers to a cult's blood ritual, from which they escape, but without realising that they have been infected, would be fun.
Last edited by cure on Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The cure for what ails you
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

cure wrote:Ways to catch lycanthropy besides the obvious getting bit by a lycanthrope:

Unsafe sex.

So... there's such a thing as "safe sex" with a bloodthirsty, man-eating, fleshripping killing machine of the wilds? ;)
LouisVendredi
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by LouisVendredi »

I like this one.
"Evil things have plans. They have things to do."
-- Anya Jenkins
Sylaire
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sylaire »

cure wrote: Cutting oneself with one's own weapon while cleaning off the blood of a lycanthrope.
*polish polish* "OW!"

"Get the silver bullets, Sir James; I think you just lost another squire."
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Spiteful Crow »

cure wrote:Ways to catch lycanthropy besides the obvious getting bit by a lycanthrope:

Unsafe sex.

Looks like the BoEF does have a use after all... :roll:
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

cure wrote:Ways to catch lycanthropy besides the obvious getting bitten by a lycanthrope:

Poorly cooked blood saussage with sharp bone splinters.
Eating raw lycanthropic meat generally.
The serum that the Falkovnian Ministry of War is developing.
The serum that Jacqueline Renier is developing (but it only yields wererats).
A blood transfusion.
A blood ritual.
Sharing a knife in the back.
Cutting oneself with one's own weapon while cleaning off the blood of a lycanthrope.
Chasing a lycanthrope through caltrops or (when barefooted) broken glass.
Following a lycanthrope into a spike or needle trap.
A vampire who had just fed upon a lycanthrope feeding on you (and in the case of an interrupted vampire marriage, that is to say a vorlog, the chance of contracting the dread disease should be very high indeed).
An organ transplant, administered by Mordenheim (this actually appears in the canon Larmordian adventure).
Unsafe sex.
A cursed magic item (the Ivory Ring of the Wolf from canon, or my Kartakan violin into which an infected lycanthrope bound his lycanthropy).
Teleportation accident (yet another reason to not travel with lycanthropes)
Heretity
A very angry raunie.

Of course once an individual is infected, he can infect the others.

For my money, subjecting the adventurers to a cult's blood ritual, from which they escape, but without realising that they have been infected, would be fun.
Cure, you are magnificent!

I'm going to copy and keep this list, if you don't mind. Soooo maaaaany ideaaaaaaas..... *Said in a "Braaaaaains" zombie voice*

---------------------------------------------

Well, I don't have the module, so I can't help you tailor it for Barovia, and you've enough advice on how to turn them into woof-woofs, so....

How to get the party to stay in Barovia:

Well, the simplest, albeit rail-roady, method is to close the borders. You don't even necessarily have to explain why. Not everything in the world revolves around the PCs. Or, you might have a thief steal something from Strahd, and have the PCs find out that until the thief is found, the borders are closed (also an adventure hook). Alternatively, have the party find/get something that was stolen from Strahd. He's worse then a dragon regarding his property.

Alternatively, you could snow them in. A bit less heavy-handed then closed borders, and PCs are somewhat less likely to complain (weather tends to be strange). Particularly if they need to get through the mountain pass, having the pass snowed in can make for a very simple blockade. If you really want to arrange something peculiar, blame a wizard with Control Weather, but Barovian weather is bad enough on its own.

For a third idea, and one that doesn't involve essentially placing a wall in front of the PCs, give them something more important that needs to be done in Barovia NOW. Such as, oh, say, curing their lycanthropy. Another idea is to bring Jacqueline Montarri into the business. Theres a very good adventure hook somewhere in the vaults here revolving around an extremely nasty necklace Miss Montarri uses. Stick it on the head of some lithe female PC, and problem solved.

If the PCs are good roleplayers/know Ravenloft well/have met the Vistani, you can arrange for a meeting with some gypsies. Good roleplay session (VRGttVistani), and you can sneak in a Tarokka reading (always fun). If the Vistani pulls the horseman and tells the PCs that leaving Barovia is the worst thing they can possibly do, that should slow them down some.

Another idea is to wave a quickie adventure hook in front of the PCs noses. If the PCs are the goody-two-shoes types, stick a farmer in distress in front of them. (Scarecrow of Jacob Garvin anyone?). If one of the PCs is a greedy mercenary fellow (and one usually is), shove an opportunity for seemingly easy cash at him. Perhaps have one of the Vallaki NPCs call for help?

Okay, this is off the top of my head. I'm sure the local geniuses will have some better ideas, but this should start the discussion.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

(I don't know where the group is starting out.)

Barovia shares some of its southwest border with Kartakass; Mother Fury and her gang would be a good way to get everyone infected...
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

IIRC the module assumes that all PCs are infected but (possibly) with different kinds of Lycanthropy.
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

NeoTiamat wrote:I'm going to copy and keep this list, if you don't mind. Soooo maaaaany ideaaaaaaas.....
Please do.
The cure for what ails you
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

:) Thank you very much for all the good suggestions!

I had planned to let the PC's lycantrophy be linked somehow to Megan Llewelyn, who played a major role in their run through *NoH*. (As well as the two drunken guards Gotten and Drinnik, but this is another story...)

I know that Kartakass is the very best place to set the story, but I would like to set the adventure somewhere they already know.

My biggest problem right now is where to set the different cities and locations - always having in mind that the next Halloween adventure would most likely be *House of Strahd*. :)
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

Spiteful Crow wrote:Looks like the BoEF does have a use after all... :roll:
HEY!!!

I don't know, but my Dread Pleasure Golem is a hit! :P
"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom"
William Blake
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Rafael wrote: I know that Kartakass is the very best place to set the story, but I would like to set the adventure somewhere they already know.
Actually, Kartakass would not necessarily be a good place to set the story, because of the wolfwere emnity for werewolves. I was just saying that Mother Fury's there (having not made enough of a splash to warrant major wolfwere attacks there), but if she successfully converted a whole group of tough-looking adventurers, there'd be repercussions-- and a reason for the group to bug out to another domain.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

An apparently innocent possibility for getting them stranded in Barovia is food poisoning, something that makes them so terribly weak (and there's nothing worse than having to go the bathrom 3 to 4 times every hour) and givem them sufficient unrest to not be able to cure spells.
Make them be in a forlorn village in some road, with very few people that can help, and they're stranded.

Another possibility, but more cliche: the local militia arrests one of the PCs based on some mix up with the real culprit. The PCs have to find a legal way to get the other out of prison, or find the real criminal, which takes time.

have them pass through a village with an epidemy. Once they get out and reach the next town, the news are known there already and they must stay under quarantine.

promise something good to one of your players, like a master teaching them something (a spell, a skill, whatever) which requires them to stay for one week.

If they are planning to buy something, make that item rare but obtainable, if they wait for the order to arrive or simply for the artisan to craft it.

if you can manage, it can be a particular date where travel is highly disadvised because all evil forces are on the loose (Valpurgis' night, all hallow's eve, St George's night, whatever).

for some reason, they are attacked by assassins (I'm always fond of the Ba'al Verzi) with such a potent poison that consumes the person gradually and is not curable by ordinary antidotes. The only way to cure it is known perhaps only to the Vistani and it takes some time to perform (a few days, perhaps?)

Alexandre
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)