The Best Fan-Made Domain

Discussing all things Ravenloft
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Best Fan-Made Domain

Post by WolfKook »

Since the early years of the Kargatane, fans around the world have gathered to create new stories, evil characters, monsters, haunted places, cursed items, and other goodies (or badies?) for other Ravenloft fans to work with. It is time for us to acknowledge their effort and give them credit for a good job!

So, this thread is to vote for the best fan-made domain ever published. The rules are these:
  • You may choose whichever source you want: The BoS from the Kargatane, the USS, Navigaccio, Nebula Obscura and others from Midway Haven, the QtR series from the FoS, or any other you want.
  • You're allowed to vote for three domains. The first one mentioned will get 5 points; the second will get 3 points and the third will get 1 point.
  • You're allowed to vote for your own domains (Those you created) as long as at least one of the three domains on your list is not yours.
  • The votes close at midnight on June 23rd, 2007 (66 days from now), after which the winner will be announced.
(And, for those few who know what I've been up to lately: Yes. This is what you may call "a teaser thread")
Last edited by WolfKook on Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom"
William Blake
Scipio
Lord of the Repubic of Monte Mal

Post by Scipio »

My vote goes to Monte Mal, but then I am highly biased, since it was my creation (along with much material added for it from other members who assissted on the Monte Mal Gazetteer.)
Dr. Cornelius Scipio, Rogue monster hunter, and owner of the Inn of the Drunken Wolf.

Rumors of my death are mildly exaggerated. I got better.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

A teaser? ;)

And those fan made domains are (let me know if I left one out!):

Al-Kathos / Mordent Cartogr Cie web site
Arlington Farm /QtR 11
Callista /USS 2002
Carcharodon Isle /Bo Souls 1997
Chamhok Mun /Nebula Obscura: Worlds of Ravenloft (Midway Haven)
Charity Cove /Navigaccio: Worlds of Ravenloft (Midway Haven)
Dorjiloka /Navigaccio: Worlds of Ravenloft (Midway Haven)
Dur-Anea /Nebula Obscura: Worlds of Ravenloft (Midway Haven)
Farelle /Bo Sacrif. 2001
Gustavsan /USS 2001
Hibernate /USS 2001 and 2002
Hiva Motu /Nebula Obscura: Worlds of Ravenloft (Midway Haven)
Huninfjord /Navigaccio: Worlds of Ravenloft (Midway Haven)
Igid Rabi-i /Bo Sacrif. 2001
Immerabt /USS 2002
Incitatus /USS 2002
Isle of Ravens / QtR11
Karss /USS 2002
Kislova /Bo Souls 1997
Kungthrom Sound /Navigaccio: Worlds of Ravenloft (Midway Haven)
Locknar Cove /Bo Sacrif. 2001
Lost Wizard's Tower /USS 2002
Mictlan /Bo Shadows 2000
Mictlan - Cumbre de Oro /Bo Sacrif. 2001
Miseria /USS 2001
Monte Mal /Monte Mal web site
Mubonyete /Navigaccio: Worlds of Ravenloft (Midway Haven)
Nedragonne /QtR 9
Northlands /USS 2002&03
Nueva Aragona /USS 2001
Nzari /USS 2003
Okraina /QtR 2
Olympus /USS 2002
Raging Tears /Bo Sorrows 1998
Romagna /Bo Sorrows 1998
Rose Garden /Haunted Sites 98
Saarkaath /Bo Sacrif. 2001
San Bartolomé /Bo Sacrif. 2001
Sanzhou Grove /Nebula Obscura: Worlds of Ravenloft (Midway Haven)
Seradan /Bo Secrets 1999
Session Road /Nebula Obscura: Worlds of Ravenloft (Midway Haven)
Stonewall /USS 2002
Tragathos /Navigaccio: Worlds of Ravenloft (Midway Haven)
Tsuu-Y-Teke /USS 2002
Ukhu Pacha /Nebula Obscura: Worlds of Ravenloft (Midway Haven)
Vin'Ejal /Bo Souls 1997
Vulnara /USS 2002
Vultharesk /Bo Shadows 2000
Wayward on the Bone Sands /Bo Secrets 1999
Wellsping /Haunted Sites 98
Whäl /Bo Sorrows 1998
Xi’anlin /Navigaccio: Worlds of Ravenloft (Midway Haven)
Yatehcaa /USS 2002
Last edited by Joël of the FoS on Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Re: The Best Fan-Made Domain

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

WolfKook wrote:You're allowed to vote for just one domain (Honorable mentions allowed.
Is it allowed to vote for one's own domains? 'Cuz a lot of your voters (like Scipio, and me, to name only two) have contributed domains on Joel's list... :lucas:
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Scipio

Post by Scipio »

And if we can't vote for our own domains I'll have to change my vote. :oops:
Dr. Cornelius Scipio, Rogue monster hunter, and owner of the Inn of the Drunken Wolf.

Rumors of my death are mildly exaggerated. I got better.
Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scarycount »

1.The Northlands

2.Olympus

3.Nzari
Last edited by Scarycount on Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Strahd!
Joël of the FoS

Scarycount wrote:The Northlands

(honorable mention goes to olympus)
I makes me think: there are many good fan domains, voting just for one is unfair!

Wolfkook, can we extent it to voting for three domains? #1 get 5 points, #2 gets 3 points, #3 gets 1 point? It's a suggestion, only. If you don't want to keep bookeeping, we'll vote only for one domain!

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

I'll throw inthe City of Summer Stars by Ripvanwormer.
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

WOW, Jöel!!! I didn't expect such a complete list!

I'll follow your advice: You may vote for 3 domains. The first one gets 5 points, the second gets 3 and the third gets 1. Voting for your own domain is alright (As the "rule of 3" implies that -most -people would probably have to vote for other people's domains). Just a little editting on the original post and voilá :wink:
William Blake
Bloody Morgan
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Bloody Morgan »

That is a pretty nifty list all right. Makes me wonder - is there are unofficial listing/review of fan domains anywhere out there? Perhaps with a summary of CL, inspirations, summaries, etc? Would be quite handy for working through the huge number of them out there, to find something suitable for a plot idea.
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Arlington Farm!
Joël of the FoS

Bloody Morgan wrote:That is a pretty nifty list all right. Makes me wonder - is there are unofficial listing/review of fan domains anywhere out there? Perhaps with a summary of CL, inspirations, summaries, etc? Would be quite handy for working through the huge number of them out there, to find something suitable for a plot idea.
Such as this? ;)

Name of domain: Arlington Farm
Author: Eddy Brennan (Wiccy of the FoS)
Sourcebook: QtR 11 / USS 01 Edition : 3rd / 2nd

Darklord: Henry Arlington (Male Human Undead Construct (Dread Flesh Scarecrow) Ari3/Exp6)
Summary of plot / feel: the circular domain is a very large field of corn, abandoned, with decrepit farm buildings in the middle. In a sort of dark pact, the farmer Arlington has killed his family and made them into scarecrows to get the best harvest possible.

This is a great idea. Anybody wants to help me in making this list?

Joël
Bloody Morgan
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Bloody Morgan »

Exactly like that.

I'd certainly be willing to lend a hand with such a project.
WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

Joël of the FoS wrote:This is a great idea. Anybody wants to help me in making this list?
(Raises his hand) I can do it... Have all the netbooks, anyway, and are already looking through some of them. If any of the authors wants to send me a summary like that by e-mail, It'd be very appreciated, though.

BTW, I think the summary should also include a "Domain at a Glance"-like box, at least with CL, Ecology and Climate/Terrain.

EDIT: Guess we answered at the same time, Morgan :) . Perhaps we may work together in this one.
William Blake
Joël of the FoS

In about 45 min, I did three more:

Name of domain: Arlington Farm
Author: Eddy Brennan (Wiccy of the FoS)
Sourcebook: QtR 11 / USS 01 Edition : 3rd / 2nd

Darklord: Henry Arlington (Male Human Undead Construct (Dread Flesh Scarecrow) Ari3/Exp6)
Summary of plot / feel: this circular domain is a very large field of corn, abandoned, with decrepit farm buildings in the middle. In a kind of dark pact, the farmer Arlington has killed his family and made them into scarecrows to get the best harvest possible.

Name of domain: Callista
Author: Carrie Kube (Yaoi Huntress Earth)
Sourcebook: USS 02 Edition : 3rd

Darklord: Rafe Ungard (Half-Vistani Brd10) (a NPC from CotN:G)
Summary of plot / feel: a group of tiny inlets in the middle of the sea. This are was flooded sometimes ago, forcing its inhabitants to live on the crowded inlets, or on their vargo boats. The poeple living there claim to be Vistani, yet they don't dress like Vistani nor do they share the same amount of wanderlust - the Callistans are in fact reincarnations of dead «ground based» Vistani. They are at war with pakas. The darklord exploits this conflict with a protection racket.

Name of domain: Carcharodon Isle
Author: Geoff Kimber
Sourcebook: Bo Souls 1997 Edition : 2nd

Location: island 3 miles off the north-west coast of Darkon (Sea of Sorrows, off Martira Bay)
Darklord: Sean Mako (Wereshark, Neutral Evil / 0-level human, Neutral Good), and Alice/Alison Marjory (1st-level Mage, Lawful Good / Greater Seawolf, Chaotic Evil)
Summary of plot / feel: Carcharodon Isle is a 5 miles rocky island, with dense pine forests. It has only one fishing and farming settlement: Mistlington (approximately 100 people). Elsewhere on the island there are another 50 people on small farms. All are deeply mistrustful of outsiders. The administrative lord of Carcharodon Isle is Baron Mikhail Ulyanov (greater wolfwere) and his lieutenant is Sir Harrod Fisk (wererat). Both are Kargat agent.

The Lover’s curse: Alison Marjory is cursed to monthly transformations into a greater seawolf and eternal longing for her lost love. The other Demilord of the island is the fisherman Sean Mako. He spends the majority of his time in the shape of a giant shark — he is a wereshark with no control of his affliction. On those nights when he is in human form, Alison is in seawolf form, such that they can never be together.

Name of domain: Chamhok Mun
Author: Dion of the FoS
Sourcebook: Nebula Obscura: Worlds of Ravenloft (Midway Haven)
Edition : 3rd

Location: Large enclave in the mists (thirty-five miles from north to south by twenty)
Darklord: Heol Jon-Woo (Dark Naga: CR 9)
Summary of plot / feel: This asian feel domain has two towns : Haejong (pop. 4000) and Ginjae (pop.1200). Each of the two towns had its own hereditary governor. A third of the domain population is Nagas, half-human, half-serpent creatures. These nagas, however, act much like humans and are civilized. The folk of Chamhok Mun, both human and naga, did find beauty and inspiration in the simplicity of life and nature around them.

Heol Jon-Woo is the exact opposite of his benevolent naga counterparts in Chamhok Mun. He was conjured by the Haejong’s governor, who wanted to revenge on her daughter and her new friends (she had refused to be married to an aging vizier, and became a nun with other religious devotees in their cavern sanctuary). The dark naga revenged the governor, then took his place after slaying him. Then he built hatred for a town to the other: Haejong’s folk now think that Ginjae is a town of religious fanatics, while Ginjae in turn wants vengeance for the burning of a beloved sanctuary. Now, Heol Jon-Woo quietly watches the people of Chamhok Mun from a wall of solidified venom that separates Haejong and Ginjae.

---

Good idea to include these domains at a glance, Wolfkook. I'll revise the entries to include them.

I'll contact you both today to separate the work to do. If others wants to join in, please do :)

Joël