10%
Third Edition
90%

Total votes: 31

WolfKook
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by WolfKook »

Spiteful Crow wrote:And the book pretty much makes all the original melee classes obsolete.
...if you want to play "Final Fantasy d20". For a more "down to earth" setting (Like... say... Ravenloft!), the classes in ToB are just too outrageous.

BTW, perhaps (because of the restrictions I already mentioned) I haven't had too many monks IMCs... Can you explain me what is wrong with the class? It has always appeared to me as overpowered, instead of the opposite.
"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom"
William Blake
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

WolfKook,
IS it possible that as a class, Monks aren't all that well suited to the RL world, as well as Barbarians. They don't seem to fit very well from the games I've played and seen. Most games were 2nd edition and some were C&C. We found they just weren't very good classes to play for RL. Than again that is just us, like I say everyone is different.
Steve
Dupin
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Dupin »

VAN wrote:I find the 3rd and 3.5 easier to learn than the 2nd which I was playing for many years and I have never learnt! :lol:
I agree with you, I played for three of four years second edition and when we started with third it was like "No; why to play that second is better - (two hours late) Go hell second!!! Third rules-
"I have never felt such frustration ; Or lack of self control ; I want you to kill me ; And dig me under, I wanna live no more"
MillicanDarque
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by MillicanDarque »

Personally, I prefer 2E. I've been playing it and DMing it for like 15 years so i feel i have a pretty good grasp on what i'm doing. That's not to say that 3E is bad. I've just not had the time or money to get the 3E books and look over them much. Honestly, the campaign i'm running now is more of a 2.5 version anyway. As DM i've always taken the things that didn't make sense or that the group didn't like and tweaked it to fit my particular campaign. Besides all the best adventures and campaign accessory books were 2E. Granted there's the Gazetteers but other than that there's just a vast supply of things for 2E. Don't hate me cause i'm old school.
"Ever seen a shark's eyes chief? All black and lifeless, kinda like a doll's eyes."
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Spiteful Crow »

WolfKook wrote:...if you want to play "Final Fantasy d20". For a more "down to earth" setting (Like... say... Ravenloft!), the classes in ToB are just too outrageous.
ToB's styles range from "Look, mommy, I can swing a sword" to "Super Limit Break POWAH!" Desert Wind pretty much revolves around big flaming swords and Shadow Hand has too many crazy "shadow blasts", but the other styles are pretty realistic.
Don Fernando
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Don Fernando »

I prefer 2nd. for all its contribution to the world of Ravenloft. I like almost everything from it, from the format of the books to the maps.
Personally I found third edition to be a dissapointment, because of the way Ravenloft was treated. However, I must say that the d20 system is very superior to old 2nd. Ed. , so it is a plus for third.
"6 out of 10 Rakshasas eat Whiskas"
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Well, It's official.
Roughly two years ago, I joined this site with a very strong 2nd edition bias. As of today I have at last admitted to myself that I am now in favor of 3rd and 3.5. I've jumped ship.
My argument came down to this, While 2nd edition had alot of great memories tied to it for me it was just a mess.
There were so many great ideas and plots and characters, but little to no organization. 3rd came along and rectified that. Not only were we given a more clear and concise view of our favorite characters, lands, and DLs, they were so well fleshed out, that the books they were written in practically breathed on their own.
I will always love 2nd edition, but the amazing contributions in organization and giving a real sense of life to the setting came from third.
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

I started with 2E back in '92 and stuck with it for eight or so years. But even after eight years some of the rules were fuzzy and, like everyone else, I used alot of house rules and customization.

3E came along and I snapped up the books (I was in a gaming lull and looking to get back in so it seemed like a good idea as I figured everyone would be swapping to 3E). I learned the rules then stumbled into a fun 2E homegame. After I while I moved to DMing and did some more 2E and eventually suggested we try some 3E as a side game.

Rolling characters was so hard, as was figuring out how to do anything. Not because the rules were complicated but because we were so stuck in 2E.
Then we started playing. And got the feel for it....

And I haven't looked back since.

There are other systems I like. I do some side gaming with Palladium, mostly cause I missed Heroes Unlimited and it's just wacky-overpowered fun. And MWP's system for Serenity and (eventually) Battlestar Galactica is pretty simple.
But I do so enjoy my Ravenloft homegame and my monthly Living Greyhawk games.