Races of Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft
lordsathien
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Races of Ravenloft

Post by lordsathien »

In the spirit of the recent, decent "Races of" books WotC's been churning out, I've been motivated toward creating some Ravenloft-centric racial substitution classes. However, I'm sticking to just the Half-Vistani and Caliban.

In fitting with the usual format, I need to work on three different classes to modify for each race. Here's what I've felt might fit each race so far:

Caliban: Barbarian, Warlock, Hexblade, Sorcerer, Wilder, Soulborn, Totemist
Half-Vistani: Spirit Shaman, Swashbuckler, Bard, Rogue, Scout, Spellthief, Wu Jen.

Thoughts?
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Spiteful Crow »

Why Soulborn for Calibans?

Have you seen the Voodan class from DTaDL? How about a substitution level in that for Calibans?
lordsathien
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by lordsathien »

I've only recently acquired Magic of Incarnum and upon review, it seems only the Totemist might make sense of the three core meldshaping classes.

I'd have to say no for familiarity with this "Voodan" class (I don't even know what that abbreviation stands for).
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Spiteful Crow »

lordsathien wrote:I've only recently acquired Magic of Incarnum and upon review, it seems only the Totemist might make sense of the three core meldshaping classes.

I'd have to say no for familiarity with this "Voodan" class (I don't even know what that abbreviation stands for).
Dark Tales and Disturbing Legends. The Voodan's a core class for Souragne, supposedly based on real world voodoo. (having little knowledge about it, I wouldn't know how close to reality it is :P )
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

"Dark Tales and Disturbing Legends" is one of the last books Arthaus published for Ravenloft. The class is more of a fantasy-world version of voodoo, much like how the Vistani are more like a 'legendary'/movie version of gypsies than the IRL Romany.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

I've a friend who looked at voudoun for a thesis paper, and he wasn't too impressed with the class. Its a decent class, a cleric variant, but he considers Ravenloft Voodoo to be a little too simplified (understandable) and actually a little less dark (!) then real-world Voudoun.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

I find keeping track of its spell lists to be a nightmare, as well. As a note, in my own compilations, I call it the houngan class -- I didn't quite get having the class name be the same as the religion.
lordsathien
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by lordsathien »

Mangrum wrote:I find keeping track of its spell lists to be a nightmare, as well. As a note, in my own compilations, I call it the houngan class -- I didn't quite get having the class name be the same as the religion.
That makes so much more sense.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Mangrum wrote:I find keeping track of its spell lists to be a nightmare, as well. As a note, in my own compilations, I call it the houngan class -- I didn't quite get having the class name be the same as the religion.
If I remember well, Hougan is the actual name used in Haiti and African voodoo, is it not?

Alex
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)