horror comix?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Sylaire
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sylaire »

I'm more of a manga guy when it comes to comic-book horror (though I have to give some props to certain classic Batman arcs...LOTDK's Gothic rocks the world, and although the art completely bit there was a two-parter entitled "A Gotham Tale" that ran a dozen or so years ago in either Batman or Detective for which the writing was excellent). Most American comic-book horror I've encountered is really more in the action-horror genre and while I enjoy the Blade and Underworld movie franchises and I've played Devil May Cry and Bloodrayne, I really prefer a more cerebral or emotional horror to the action-hero kind. The action stuff is good, but it's not really horror, kind of like how the original Ravenloft module is a dungeon crawl that happens to have a Gothic motif.

That long preamble being over, I'm currently following Godchild and The Cain Saga, which are pure mystery-Gothic, Tsukuyomi ~Moon Phase~, Trinity Blood (yeah, that's action-horror), Lunar Legend Tsukihime, Blood Alone, and Bizenghast (the last one being an American book). For past series, I strongly recommend Vampire (Princess) Miyu.*

*I don't know what Narumi Kakinouchi's thing is with dolls, but there were three completely different doll-based stories in the Miyu OVA series, TV series, and manga, and all three were exceptional.
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Daisu wrote:There a Vecna comic, well graphic novel. I own a copy, but I do not know if they continued it into a series. The vecna modules for Ravenloft were my last to collect, but from their I made sure I got this book as well what covered in dragon magazines as of late.
That would be VECNA HAND OF REVENANT VOL 1, a Greyhawk graphic novel. Unfortunately the sequel has never been released. It is quite good imho. But then again i'm a Greyhawk fan boy.

It details some Vecna's childhood as well as the Siege of the city of Fleeth where he is already a lich and perhaps quasideity.

Revies are available on canonfire here

Here's a discussion on wizards boards about it: http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=331976
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jonathan Winters »

Hello all,

Not much to add to this list, but I did forget about Grendel (!).

It was very good. But I found the last few things to come out were just a rehash of what was done before. (How many times can I read Hunter Rose's story? Or see Grendel tracking down some drug-addled idiot who stole money from him?)

I will also chime in about Hellblazer. It has an amazing character, but it really depends on the writer.

Hellboy (and BPRD to some extent) have good inspirational stuff I think.

There was a story arc (I forget the name) (and this is coming out of left field!) in Astro City at one point where a small peddler kept getting chased by the Blue Shield.

The Blue Shield's nature was never really explained totally. Was he just a Punisher type ''hero'' or some mystical thing...

If I think of other stuff, I'll let you know!

Patrick
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Jonathan Winters wrote:Not much to add to this list, but I did forget about Grendel (!).

It was very good. But I found the last few things to come out were just a rehash of what was done before. (How many times can I read Hunter Rose's story? Or see Grendel tracking down some drug-addled idiot who stole money from him?)

Luckily, I got a bit too broke to keep collecting comics right about when Grendel started repeating itself. So, my obsession with the series ended on a high note. ;-)
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

More from my list:

As some people know, I have very definite taste in comics. I (usually) do not like superheroes, which makes me a shunned person at my local comic circle (I have to pay coffees to be able to sit a the same table ;) ), and concentrate more into darker things (yes, I know some superhero are quite dark) and horror. However, I do not like zombies splattered all over the street and excessive gore. I do not like manga either, I was never able to like the drawing style (and the stories I read are often childish IMHO).

Now that I got everybody confused, in more details this is what I liked in the recent years, in English:

30 Days of Night – all of it, with the sequels (except the one in space which was silly)
Done to death
Fall of Cthulhu
Eberron - eye of the wolf. It’s a shame this was only a one shot, as it was promising.
FELL
HAUNTED MANSION
Medieval Lady Death (not the pin ups one, the medieval ones, with eldritch elves)
Nightwolf
Nightmare and Fairy Tales – I love the eerie feel of it
Red Star – sci fi, I know, but excellent quality
Revere (werewolves in early revolutionary US)
Wonderland – sequel to Alice in W
Wormwood - gentleman corpse (so fun / good, a TP was released recently)
Archaic – dark fantasy
Bite club
BLACKBURNE COVENANT
Cobbler's monster - Gepetto's Frankeinstein
Courtney Crimrin – macabre children tale, but enjoyable. I read it with my daughter who is learning English quickly through comics.
Criminal macabre – an alcoholic detective who’s best friend is a ghoul.
Cthulhu Tales
CURSED
DAWN OF THE DEAD - ROMERO TP
Fafhrd & Gray Mouser
FAVOLE TP1 - Stone tears
Freak Show TP
FREAKS OF THE HEARTLAND #1 A 6
FROM HELL
FURIES TP
Grave Robber's daughter
H G WELLS War of the Worlds
HACK SLASH - earlier stuff
Hellboy – thanks to Patrick (aka Jonathan Winters here). Many cases solved by Hellboy can indeed be inspirational material for RL
IRREGULARS - TP
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Light Brigade DC
LIVING AND THE DEAD TP (Romero's)
LOOKING GLASS WARS HATTER - série de 4
LOVE ME TENDERLOIN - Niles Templesmith
MARLENE
The Marquis - thanks to Patrick again!
NIGHT MARY IDW
NIGHTMARIST
RAVENOUS TP
SANDMAN
SHADOWPLAY (Templesmith)
SILENT HILL
SLEEPY HOLLOW tp
SULLENGRAY
SUPERMAN - RED SON TP (yes, it contradicts what I said b4)
VAMPIRE'S CHRISTMAS – this is wickedly funny, IMHO
VEILS TP – superb esthetics, more mature theme
WARLAND
WATCHMEN TP
White Chapel

And on a lighter note:

Danger Girl
Bardin the surrealist
JHM, and Squee
Lenore
monsters in my tummy
SHAUN OF THE DEAD TP
Something at the window is scratching (R Dirge)
VICTORY
Wonderful Wizard of OZ – recent adaptation. Drawings are amazing.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Joël of the FoS

Just curious, did anybody read one or more of the comics in my list?

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Hey Joël,

As you know, I've read quite a few of them so far!

I LOVE Red Star! Is it just me or it's kinda depressing though? Good, but not many laughs!

To name a few: League of X Gentlemen, 30 Days of Night, Irregulars ( a nice surprise, and I found it for something like 4$), Light Brigade (Happily surprised there too!)

Of course you haven't lived until you've read Watchmen! ( I keep thinking this should be a TV miniseries instead of a movie...)

I bought today: Wasteland (I think, I forget the exact name and am at work) by Oni Press, B/W, looks good. It's about how the world turns out after the ''Big Wet'' - It seems like there's no water left... I ordered it months ago and totally forgot about this - I almost handed it back to my comic guy saying he made a mistake! :) )

Joël: I have to lend you Powers! Not gothic at all but SO GOOD!!! The writer wrote the intro to Red Star TPB Vol 1.

I gotta go!

Patrick
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Um I didnt realise we were a few people in Montreal! That's why I asked if Joel DMed any tabletop campaigns somewhere here on the site(He is probably busy so didnt catch it ) :)
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Oh yeah!

Lots of Montreal people on the boards!!

Patrick
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

From your list, Joel, I've read only:
WATCHMEN TP
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
SANDMAN (just the 1st tpb so far, but I plan to get the rest)

But I've read the novel of:
H G WELLS War of the Worlds

And seen the films of:
FROM HELL
SLEEPY HOLLOW tp

If I may, I must recommend The Maxx, as I do anytime the subject of comics comes up. It is technically a superhero comic, but it's more along the lines of Sandman than a regular superhero comic. My favorite series of all time, and yes, I have found Ravenloft inspiration from it, although it's not at all horror.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Joël of the FoS

Thanks for the tip, Ron, I'll put this on my list!

Jonathan, I just found out they are reediting the Marquis in TP! For the others, try to find it: there are many ways to be religious, but is it always on the safe and righteous path?

Joël