horror comix?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

horror comix?

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Currently cooking my comic list order. What current fantasy / horror serie are you following?

Among other things, in my curent list are Wormwood (pretty funny and weird, By Ben Templesmith), Fallen, DL Dragon of Spring Dawning, FR's Streams of silver, Haunted Mansion (ghost stories), Fall of Cthulhu.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Only the Order of the Stick, me, and that is online. I have no idea if the ones you listed, Joël, are online or not.

Alex
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

I read order of the stick as well.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Moé si moé si!

;)

No, those I listed are not online. Real paper!

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

LOL moé si moé si! I have heard about a really funny one in Dragon magazine but never bothered to look. P.S Joel do you play any RL campaigns tabletop?
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

I'm still waiting for the Walking Dead part 6 to come out... it's been ages since the release date I was given...
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Let's see, Order of the Stick of course.

Likewise, Darken, nice, well done, evil-centered fantasy comic, I like it a great deal.

And lastly, "True Magic, the Comic". It's fantasy, highly amusing. Has a Necromancer named "Don of the Dead".
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Sean of the Dead

Post by steveflam »

Speaking of Don of the DEad, does anyone recommend Sean of the Dead movie? I am kind of reluctant to rent it. IS it really as funny and good as people say it is?
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Despite loving horror in most of it's forms, for some reason I never got into horror comics. Pretty much the only ones I read the would count are the Buffy comics.

My regular buys at the moment are Astonishing Xmen, New Xmen, Batman, Nightwing, Knights of the Dinner Table, Highlander, Gargoyles, 52, and anything Sam Kieth does.

I mean, there's the occasional creepy bit in Xmen or Batman, but they don't really count.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Re: Sean of the Dead

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

tarlyn st-denfer wrote:Speaking of Don of the DEad, does anyone recommend Sean of the Dead movie? I am kind of reluctant to rent it. IS it really as funny and good as people say it is?
It's worth watching, particularly if you've seen the original Romero flicks recently enough to get the in-jokes. The humor is more "Young Ones" British than "Monty Python" British, if that means anything to you, and a few of the gags are introduced slyly enough that it may require a double-take to catch them.

Any movie where the heroes spare a moment to argue about which cheesy record albums they should throw at oncoming zombies deserves kudos. :wink:
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Thanks Sharon and shall rent it tomorrow!
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Afraid I fell out of the comic-collecting habit years ago, although I'll pick up an occasional graphic novel to round out one of my old collections from when I was in college.

Horror titles I used to obsess over include:

The "I, Vampire" serial from DC's House of Mystery

The revived Ghost Rider (with Dan Ketch in lieu of Blaze)

Hellblazer and Swamp Thing (plus I read my sister's Sandmans)

And saving the best for last, Matt Wagner's Grendel: the most 'Ravenlofty' comic I knew of at the time, and quite possibly still that, IMHO. 8)
Last edited by Rotipher of the FoS on Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
buriedbybooks
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by buriedbybooks »

I recently read Laini Taylor-Di Bartolo and Jim Di Bartolo’s "The Drowned". It's a one-shot BW graphic novel, which I felt was excellent (and very Ravenloft). It's set in early 19th Century French, it features amnesiac hero (who starts out languishing in a lunatic asylum) piecing together the reason for his shattered sanity, and finding a story of witchcraft, witch-hunters and demonic pacts. The story ties-up neatly, but there's still room for a sequel.

Unfortuantly there's only the one of them at present, and I doubt there will be another any time soom.

Cheers, Daniel.
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Ghost Rider: Trail of Tears
This one is a cool look at a ghost rider post civil war. It is on issue 3 right now I believe, so recent back issues should be easy to find.

Walking Dead
There is a reason why you can't find the single issues from 1-10. But fortunately, the good people at Image comics have been really good about releasing trade paperbacks nice and prompt like.
The story is about the long term effects of a Zombie infestation and relationships of the survivors.

Sea of Red
I don't know what happened to this title, seems to have disappeared from the shelves at my comic shop, but the run I read was pretty good. Basically it follows the story of a Vampiric Pirate ship crew, from their cut-throat past to current times. Come to think of it, I really miss that book. Dang, now I have to find out what happened. :(

Other than that, Wildstorm has sort of been doing this 70s/80s revivalist horror thing with their monthly titles for Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street, and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Although the latter is based on the remake rather than the original.
Daisu
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Daisu »

There a Vecna comic, well graphic novel. I own a copy, but I do not know if they continued it into a series. The vecna modules for Ravenloft were my last to collect, but from their I made sure I got this book as well what covered in dragon magazines as of late.