The why of Ravenloft

Discussing all roleplaying games

The why of Ravenloft

Its prison to keep the worst of the villians locked away from the universe
17%
Its a breeding ground for villians to one day be released and wash over the multiverse
No votes
Its a massive grudge match. The good DPs say people are inherintly good while the Evil DPs say everyone will succume to temptation and evil
17%
Its a form of purgitory. Reincarnated souls struggle to rise to heaven or fall to temptation with the DLs having the farthest to fall
15%
Other
50%

Total votes: 46

Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Shoon VII »

i dont even deal with this kind of metaphysical question in my campaign. as far as the PC's know, this is just another game world. while things seem to go against them on occasion, they always have a chance at survival if they make good choices.

i do want to pop a new domain on them and have them witness the birth of a new domain. i wonder how they'll react.
Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we possess ourselves.
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

I tend to think of the demiplane as a lab experiment myself-- a study in evil and redemption. Notably, as far as the experimenters/DPs are concerned, those who have fallen very far seldom rise again, but sometimes those who fall a small amount can rise not only from their fall but beyond their original selves (Van Richten would've stayed an ordinary, probably decent if not exceptional, doctor had circumstances not altered him).
Frukathka
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Frukathka »

I believe to be a penal colony for the most black of souls. Heck, even Vecna was a draklord for a while! That tells you a lot right there!
"I am Frukathka, emissary of the Rakastan pantheon and defender of the Rakastan people and felines everywhere."
Kelliack
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Kelliack »

It's obvious isn't it? Ravenloft is a flat world, like a coin. Pure evil on one side (with some flaws) , but if you flip it over pure good (with some flaws). On the bottom side of the Ravenloft core and the clusters are the opposite, mirror reflections of the world above. So to escape Ravenloft one has only to dig a hole far enough down and come out the other end in the land of good, where everything is fair, and bunnies hop in the streets going, "tra la la la."

That's a what the dark powers are. It is the lost coin of the gods when they first flipped to see who would get which portfolio. It;'s become encrusted with these lands and people, (quite by accident, each side pulling in people as is their sides nature) while floating in the ethereal plane.

Ps. The neutral countries are on the rim of the coin.
HIEL YOG-SOTHOTH!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Kelliack wrote: It is the lost coin of the gods when they first flipped to see who would get which portfolio.
Now that is an original idea. I thought I'd seen all the explanations, that's the first one in a while that's been completely different. :)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."