Vampire Werewolf

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Scipio
Lord of the Repubic of Monte Mal

Post by Scipio »

JinnTolser wrote:
Spiteful Crow wrote:What we really need is a Vampire Werewolf Lich Half-Fiend Hag.
Rotipher of the FoS wrote:You forgot half-dragon, half-golem, Fugued, etc. :roll:
...Death Knight, half-Tarrasque, and why not slap half-celestial on there too, since there aren't enough contradictions already? And the base creature should probably be a drow. :roll:
Why stop there? We can also throw Gelatinous, paragon, insectile, multiheaded, mummified, spectral, reptillian, creature of legend. I think we're up to a CR in the low 100's.
Dr. Cornelius Scipio, Rogue monster hunter, and owner of the Inn of the Drunken Wolf.

Rumors of my death are mildly exaggerated. I got better.
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

LouisVendredi wrote:I wonder why they all use Orc as the base creature.
Because it's the same creature progressed to different levels of advancement.
Archedius wrote:Well I could see there being a vampiric lycanthrope- natural of course but again Wizards stepped up to the bat and whiffed.
I don't understand...this is a natural lycanthrope, isn't it? How is that a "whiff?"
Rotipher wrote:a vampire that's prone to the berzerk rampages of afflicted lycanthropy would be far too out-of-control to remain inconspicuous.
Of course, but what about a natural lycanthrope?
(Perhaps it could be vampires who hire unwitting PCs to put down such a misbegotten creature?)
Interesting idea! And when the PC's find themselves over their heads, they discover who their backers are, and have to play both sides against each other!

I think the idea has lots of potential, if it's given a Ravenloft twist. How's this?

Among her village of werewolves in Verbrek, Nadezda was a pariah. As a caliban, she was deformed in whatever form she took, which was taken as an offense to the wolf god. Her outcast status led her to becoming a scout of sorts, spending most of the time away from her village and bringing news of travelers through the region in hopes of some small praise for ajob well done. On her last scouting mission, she came across a band of Vistani, and was amused enough by their boldness to have her fortune told. The raunie turned white at the first card and nearly fainted at the last, but her predictions changed Nadezka's destiny, and has since spelled the fate of countless others, for good or ill.

Nadezka didn't believe the words at first, and threatened to kill the old woman for her lying, but the raunie bade her go and check, and even offered the caliban her grandchild as a hostage. Fearing a trick, Nadezka decided she could go faster without a hostage, and raced back to her village in her wolf form. It was all true: her entire village was dead, slain by some sort of plague. She set upon the stranger huddled over the corpses, taking him for the orchestrator of an attack, but her mistake was her undoing: the man was a traveling vampire, pausing to feed upon the dead and dying before moving on. He slew her with barely a thought, glad to have a little warm blood after so much cold and death.

Whatever his reason for hurry, the vampire neglected to dispose of her properly, and upon entering her unlife Nadezka sought out the Vistani again, tracking them over a scent trail left for her benefit to their next encampments. The raunie did another reading for her, giving her clues about the true source of the plague and sending Nadezka north in search of Mallochio Aderre....
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Now, that version, I kind of like. I especially like the suggestion that the vampire who Turned her was quite desperately hungry at the time, since some of Strahd's remarks in VotM -- and the fact that Ravenloft isn't hip-deep in Turned lycanthropes already :roll: -- imply that werebeasts' blood tastes pretty darned awful to vampires.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Guardian of Twilight wrote:... the rules that lets you multi-race...

Mmm... What? I don't understand the term "Multirace"... how can you evolve from an elf to a dwarf? At least without reincarnation?
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

alhoon wrote:
Guardian of Twilight wrote:... the rules that lets you multi-race...

Mmm... What? I don't understand the term "Multirace"... how can you evolve from an elf to a dwarf? At least without reincarnation?
Heh, I am basically just rehashing a problem that I had with 3e and 3.5 from the beginning. (I no longer have these problems). Also, as another member was talking about, there are a great deal of contradictions that exist in 3e. I was just coming up with a way to express my issues. Nothing more. :)

Some of you may ask, "What got you over your problems?" The answer is actually pretty simple. Ravenloft. Well, that and several shot glasses full of "Shut up, James" from my friends. :wink:
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

3.X can be silly at times, but I'd like to see the game that isn't. And when compared to other older systems (*coff* Palladium *coff*) modern D&D seems almost restrained.
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Jester of the FoS wrote:3.X can be silly at times, but I'd like to see the game that isn't. And when compared to other older systems (*coff* Palladium *coff*) modern D&D seems almost restrained.
Yes, but sadly all systems have something that needs to be reworked. Then again, some systems just need to be done away with entirely. But I won't name any names. Not me. I won't say d6 Star Wars. Not gonna happen. :wink:
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
Scipio

Post by Scipio »

Guardian of Twilight wrote:
Jester of the FoS wrote:3.X can be silly at times, but I'd like to see the game that isn't. And when compared to other older systems (*coff* Palladium *coff*) modern D&D seems almost restrained.
Yes, but sadly all systems have something that needs to be reworked. Then again, some systems just need to be done away with entirely. But I won't name any names. Not me. I won't say d6 Star Wars. Not gonna happen. :wink:
That's odd I loved D6 Star Wars. As far as the ones that need to be gotten rid of completely, I'll be good and not mention d20 Star Wars.
Dr. Cornelius Scipio, Rogue monster hunter, and owner of the Inn of the Drunken Wolf.

Rumors of my death are mildly exaggerated. I got better.
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Spiteful Crow »

Scipio wrote:
Guardian of Twilight wrote:
That's odd I loved D6 Star Wars. As far as the ones that need to be gotten rid of completely, I'll be good and not mention d20 Star Wars.
"I cast magic missile... At the darkness."
"DARK SIDE POINT!"
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Scipio wrote:That's odd I loved D6 Star Wars. As far as the ones that need to be gotten rid of completely, I'll be good and not mention d20 Star Wars.
See? We're all happy in our not mentioning things. Ah, all is right with the world...
-Mordentish proverb
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

While people are not talking about things that are off-topic, might I have some more comments on my rewrite of the sample lycanpire?
Bloody Morgan
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Bloody Morgan »

Jester of the FoS wrote:Makes sense. Think I saw an episode of Ghostbusters with that in it.
That would be No-one comes to Lupusville.
Bluebomber4evr
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Bluebomber4evr »

DeepShadow wrote:
Rotipher wrote:a vampire that's prone to the berzerk rampages of afflicted lycanthropy would be far too out-of-control to remain inconspicuous.
Of course, but what about a natural lycanthrope?
hmm, isn't this impossible in Ravenloft? I remember quite clearly in Vampire of the Mists Strahd stated that the blood of werewolves (specifically, the female one who hung around him but I can't remember her name for the life of me) was putrid and he could not keep it down...in the same way Jander could no longer feed off of animals. The gist of it being that the DP forced vampires to prey on humans/demihumans by making the blood of other creature types "inedible."
Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002.
Ravenloft: Prisoners of the Mist Persistent World for Neverwinter Nights: www.nwnravenloft.com
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Lycanthropes (even natural ones) are still humanoids in 3.5, and IMO shouldn't be 100% inedible to vampires. Among other things, it'd be an unfair advantage to PCs who are infected lycanthropes, particularly if they're fighting nosferatu.

FWIW, Strahd only said Trina's blood was "tainted", not precisely what was wrong with it. The idea that it tastes really nasty seems reasonable, but one could easily spin it that he didn't want to admit in front of her that he could chow down on her in a pinch.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:FWIW, Strahd only said Trina's blood was "tainted", not precisely what was wrong with it. The idea that it tastes really nasty seems reasonable, but one could easily spin it that he didn't want to admit in front of her that he could chow down on her in a pinch.
Either that, or he personally doesn't like the taste. Most other vampires might share his aversion; after all, how many people like liver? Still, I'd have a hard time imagining all vampires, of all species and types and varieties, have this same distaste for lycanthropic blood.

Are you honestly telling me that a vrykolaka would turn its nose up at over half the population of Verbrek?

If you don't want it IYC, that's fine. You don't have to put it there. For those of us who like the idea, there's plenty of room for it.