Favorite Non-Ravenloft Settings

Discussing all roleplaying games

What is your favorite non-Ravenloft setting?

Al~Qadim
4%
Darksun
11%
Dragonlance
19%
Forgotten Realms
13%
Greyhawk
12%
Planescape
24%
Spelljamer
3%
Other
15%

Total votes: 75

ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Someone once did a write up for that particular domain, though. As I recall, the darklord was an efreeti. I think it was on the Mordent Catography site.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Lord_Kjeran
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Lord_Kjeran »

Chello!

Just to vote, I have to go with Greyhawk. GH has always been very versatile for me...there are ares for dark fantasy, classic fantasy, gothic horror, etc.

Just love the setting.....

Tony
Anthony N. Emmel
Scholar & Catholic Gentleman

"It was an age of dark beliefs and of practises that were no less dark; and witchcraft and sorcery were rampant throughout the land, among all classes."
Clark Ashton Smith, "The Necromantic Tale"
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

I once stumbled over a setting (I've forgotten the name) that claimed to provide romantic fantasy... *I think it was from Moongoose... :roll: Would be interested if any of you RL players ever tried to play this *pink* fantasy...

Besides, as I stated before: Greyhawk and the Wilderlands are my favourite settings! TRoB and Birthright are not bad,too!
:D
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Desdichado wrote:I once stumbled over a setting (I've forgotten the name) that claimed to provide romantic fantasy... *I think it was from Moongoose... :roll: Would be interested if any of you RL players ever tried to play this *pink* fantasy...

Besides, as I stated before: Greyhawk and the Wilderlands are my favourite settings! TRoB and Birthright are not bad,too!
:D
F.A.T.A.L.?
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

:soth: My friend, when I said *romantic*, I meant something like *Sailor Moon and Hello Kitty! joined forces tp give us the RPG of the year!* and not *If your gaming group ever thought to do gang-bang, here's your inspiriation!*...

:shock: :oops: :lucas: I don't know about what I am more disgusted about: People selling us *sex toy rpgs* or people writing reviews about it and celebrating *that new experience*!

*No link here... for THAT site you should look yourself... :shock: Never seen anything alike*

:wink:
Tommy Brownell
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Tommy Brownell »

I have fallen out of love with Forgotten Realms and into love with Midnight and Dawnforge.

Those two, with Ravenloft, form my new D20 (Un)Holy Trinty.
Lysander
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Lysander »

I voted "other" for Birthright (and it's good to see that there's some BR fans so I don't feel all alone when not on Birthright.net :wink: )

My list of favorites:

1. Birthright
2. Forgotten Realms
3. Greyhawk
4. Ravenloft
4. Dark Sun
4. Mystara
7. Eberron
8. Planescape
9. Spelljammer
9. Dragonlance

Ironically, from what I read here, I didn't get into Dragonlance specifically because of the novels. I felt that DL was too tightly bound to them, that Campaign-wide events would by necessity be way to reactionary to whatever next novel was published, therefore I never invested in the setting (or read the books, actually. I'm correcting this now.) Like with the old (and I suppose new) "Star Wars" RPG, the whole setting appeared to revolve around the "offstage" (read: book/film) characters, with the players merely taking bit-parts as walk-on extras - at least, that is how I viewed it, and how my opinion formed. (I'd certainly jump at the chance tp play in a game to 'prove me wrong', however :wink: )

Forgotten Realms is catching up with the slavish book-following :evil:, but would have to be the next on my list - simply for my familiarity with the setting and by those I game with. Much easier to move into a game where the setting is already understood by the players.

Dark Sun, Greyhawk, Mystara, and Ravenloft are almost on par, with Greyhawk edging the others out because one of my more memorable campaings was set there, and longer playing familiarity with the setting (despite the OD&D connection with Mystara).

Eberron gets its place since I'm in a PbEM campaign in that setting, but it has yet to overtake any of the historical powers. The remainder, Dragonlance (already mentioned above), Planescape, and Spelljammer - I've never gamed in, and am now only sporadically buying materials for. I have no familiarity with the setting, so no strong attraction to them.
Lysander