Favorite Non-Ravenloft Settings

Discussing all roleplaying games

What is your favorite non-Ravenloft setting?

Al~Qadim
4%
Darksun
11%
Dragonlance
19%
Forgotten Realms
13%
Greyhawk
12%
Planescape
24%
Spelljamer
3%
Other
15%

Total votes: 75

Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Snake wrote:Hey, has anyone ever done a game in the outer planes like Heaven, Hell, etc?
Yep, I've done a set of adventures in both Mount Celestia and Baator (both of which were heavily influenced with religious connotations).
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Frukathka
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Frukathka »

At the top, Forgotten Realms, but it isn't exactly Out of Print, it made into the 3.X madness. Now that I have that out of the way, I'd have to say that Spelljammer and Planescape are tied forthe top on my charts. Both are just so refreshing and original. Fortunately we have Dragonstar as a campaign setting, but IMHO its so distant to having the flavor of Spelljammer. Planescape is/was fun, because it branched out the game in an exciting new direction as well. I sincerely hope some company gets the license to make it official again. I must admit the Manual of the Planes and the Planar Handbook, does not do the setting any justice. Heres hoping. :)
"I am Frukathka, emissary of the Rakastan pantheon and defender of the Rakastan people and felines everywhere."
Kelliack
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Kelliack »

I voted for Spelljammer, and I can't believe that only one other person did (who was it by the way?). Maybe it was the DM we had, but apart from Ravenloft, (which I DM) I've had some of the best DnD sessions of my life in Spelljammer. The problem i hear most about SJ is the difficulties in translating one established world to another (especially Dragonlance), my DM never used any of the other DnD campaign worlds and restricted himself to simply to ones he created. If you do that I think most of the major problems are gone (You can also ditch the Crystal Spheres if you don't use DL, as they were only added to explain how the gods of Krynn could become constellations and so forth).

Also, doesn't anyone else like Oriental Adventures? Except for one guy everyone ignores it. I fell it can be just as well developed as the Forgotten Realms (maybe not that detailed). What's people's beef with the Oriental Adventures?
HIEL YOG-SOTHOTH!
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

Here are my potential campaign worlds which I would love to play in:

Call of Cthulhu
Mirrodin (if it were to be given an RPG)

... I guess that's about it :)
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

Potential campaign worlds? One based on Stephen King's The Dark Tower would be nice.
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
Dr Bloodworth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Dr Bloodworth »

First prize goes to Magnamund, the world of the Lone Wolf gamebooks. I always wanted to play there and was busily plugging away at a conversion, and then Mongoose released the Lone Wolf RPG. Now that's memories, folks: Lone Wolf is what got me into this whole fantasy thing way back when I was but a wee tyke.

For an actual DnD world, and not merely D20, it would be Greyhawk. It's just so easy to put in whatever the heck I want.
Better to betray the world, than for the world to betray me.
AdamGarou
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by AdamGarou »

Lone Wolf was actually my first exposure to the fantasy role-playing genre also. Since there was no one to actually play D&D with at the time, those books got me interested in the Lord of the Rings series, which I read for the first time in sixth or seventh grade (about age 12-14).

And the rest, as they say, is history...
“I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.”
― Harry Dresden
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

Vote #3 for Lone Wolf.
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
The Nightmare Man
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Nightmare Man »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:Mirrodin (if it were to be given an RPG)
Got any ideas about how you'd like to go about that? The Plane of Metal was a favorite setting of mine as well, and it was really something that I would have liked to have seen developed into more than it was.
"When she embraces
Your heart turns to stone
She comes at night when you are all alone
And when she whispers
Your blood shall run cold
You better hide before she finds you"
-- [i]Ice Queen[/i], Within Temptation
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Besides RL, I've couple of campaigns running with DL and Erde, a d20 system. Although I am not an active player anymore, the setting I liked the most after RL is still Greyhawk.
MatthiasStormcrow
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by MatthiasStormcrow »

1.) Ravenloft. 'Nuff said.

2.) Darksun (got my vote). Absolutely, dazzlingly original; a game world whose designers weren't afraid to throw all the rules out the window. Plus, it's really, really, really deadly. You can't play badly, or you'll die. Thus, you learn to play better, quickly. (The same is true of RL, of course.)

3.) Deadlands. Perfect blend of horror, humor, and other goodness. Though I haven't played a ton of the RPG, I do obsessively collect Doomtown cards (check the sig).

4.) Planescape. A huge amount of potential, in the hands of a good DM.

5.) D20 Star Wars. Why? Because I like roleplaying mentally unbalanced, fantastically destructive Ewoks.

6.) D20 Modern and Spelljammer both appeal to me greatly, but since I've never actually played either one, they can't really legitimately place any higher.

7.) Other stuff fails to interest me, mostly. Warhammer Fantasy is a fairly interesting world, as is the world in George R. R. Martin's "Song of Fire and Ice". Dragonlance, pardon my blasphemy, is a good world to read about but hard to do anything in. Faerun's a little high magic for my tastes, unless you want to run an epic campaign. (Oh wait, those should be run in Ravenloft. As we are proving over at MSD's board each passing day. /shameless plug).
"You see, what you thought was a gibbering abomination from the pits of Hell was really just a fruitbat. We get 'em all the time in Salt Lake."

-Benjamin Dean, Doomtown Ep. 8
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

I voted for Al Qadim.
I started my collection from the amazing Complete Necromancer`s bits and flavour. Together with Ruined Kingdoms, the CNG and the Dragon Article Dark Arabia by Wolfgang Baur you can run a (almost cthulian)horror/1001 nights campagin. Or you can go swashbuckling sinbad style. Plus it`s the most lovingly developed campaign world with incredible production quality.

Greyhawk would be a close second, and i would almost call it unsupported in 3e.

Birthright is fascinating too. Though i don`t know if the concept works for a tabletop. Fits a computer game better probably. (Is there already a BR domain in Ravenloft?)
Dr Bloodworth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Dr Bloodworth »

The Giamarga wrote:Birthright is fascinating too. Though i don`t know if the concept works for a tabletop. Fits a computer game better probably. (Is there already a BR domain in Ravenloft?)
I think the Darklord of Vorostokov is from Birthright.
Better to betray the world, than for the world to betray me.
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Yep. Originally he had the power to converse with serpents - not that it did him any good.
Evil Reigns!!!!
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Right. I knew that. Will have to reread that Wolf adventure. Vorostokov is the Russia like lands IIRC. I think BR has the same problem as putting Drow into Ravenloft. They already have a tainting/evilness thingy that`s tied to the setting with the bloodlines.

There`s no Al Qadim crossover yet, is there? (Aside from a short story in the Tales of RL Anthology i believe..)