Favorite Non-Ravenloft Settings

Discussing all roleplaying games

What is your favorite non-Ravenloft setting?

Al~Qadim
4%
Darksun
11%
Dragonlance
19%
Forgotten Realms
13%
Greyhawk
12%
Planescape
24%
Spelljamer
3%
Other
15%

Total votes: 75

Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Favorite Non-Ravenloft Settings

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

With all the talk about Ebberon being released, I thought that it was appropriate for us to go "old school" and reminisce about previous campaign settings. In particular, what were your favorites settings and why? Did you enjoy traveling with genies in Al~Qadim? Did you prefer battling the harsh environment of Darksun? Perhaps, you enjoyed sharing a cup or tea with an eladrin as you were hopping across or the planes? Or maybe you just wanted to sail your ship through the void between crystal spheres?
Last edited by Jason of the Fraternity on Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Wha-hoo! Dark Sun is in the lead!

I still have my old Dark Sun boxed set, with this wonderful woven map that seems to be made of burlap or something.

Dark Sun how I love you, let me count the ways:
1) Flavour: Bone swords are more cool than steel, desert is better than forest, everyone is dressed in leather, gigantic riding monsters, dragons are rare but extremly powerful, ect....
2) Powerful Characters from the start - forget wasting time with little 1HD creatures, I want to have an adventure now.
3) Old races have keen new abilties. I love the mulls best.
4) Psionics! Finally, good psionics rules and some super keen powers.
5) Defilers! Best kind of evil wizard EVER!
6) Humans rule everything! Finally those snooty elves are put in their place.
7) No Gods. Most fantasy gods are just lame (Ezra being a welcome exception).
Evil Reigns!!!!
Tadelin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Tadelin »

Bah... There's no spot for homebrew settings...
One of these days, I'm going to get it right. Until then, I guess I can just keep being a fool.
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:Wha-hoo! Dark Sun is in the lead!
Hate to break it to you, but Dark Sun is now tied for the lead... :wink:

While it is difficult for me to pick just one setting, I would have to say that Planescape holds a special place in my heart. I loved the concept of traveling across the multiverse and experiencing all sorts of weird creatures, cultures, and lands. With planar travel only a gate key away, we could visit any other setting and be back in Sigil in time for supper...

Besides its flexibility, I also loved the idea of thought and belief affecting the world around you. The deeper philosophy of the game and its factions made each session much more than a "kill or be killed" adventure.
Tadelin wrote:Bah... There's no spot for homebrew settings...
No, because homebrewed settings don't really fit with the idea of playing out-of-print settings. However, you are more than welcome to use the other option and describe why a homebrew setting won first place in your eyes.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

Dark Sun because of the originality of the setting (metal being rare for instance) and it'S based upon Ancient Mesopotamia and I'm a Mesopotamia fan.
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

Dark Sun, because Birthright isn't there. :roll:

In order:

1) Ravenloft
2) Birthright
3) Dark Sun
4) Planescape
5) Oriental Adventures (Old School)
6) Al-Qadim
7) Dragonlance (Specifically, Taladas)
8 on down- everything else.
Whisper
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Whisper »

Dragonlance!

Chronicles were the first fantasy novels I read (yes, I actually read them before reading Tolkien). Also two of my all-time favorites, Raistlin Majere and Lord Lorien Soth, are from the Dragonlance setting. And I just love the Orders of High Sorcery! :)
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.
And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

Im a dragonlance fan (pre 5th age). For me it was forgoten realms lite. It had the gods, the history, the cool races, the dragons, the magic, the detailed world and a load of heroes and NPCs to work off of without FRs curse of being detaield to death. You can pick up a DL sourcebook without wading through a twenty page essay on the waste removal techneques of the third house of the drow for the last three decades.

And Kenders rock!
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
Whisper
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Whisper »

Kender rule!

And do you know what else I like about Dragonlance? The fact that characters are mortal and seem more real because of that, that characters die and you feel sad about them, unlike Forgotten Realms, where they seem rather unkillable and uber-powerful (I mean, Elminster has Mystra to look after him and make sure he does not die or something, Drizzt seems to eat balors and mariliths for breakfast, etc).

By the way Jasper, where is your signature from?
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

T.S Elliot's Wasteland. Its also quoted in several Ravenloft books.
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dominique »

Another one for Dragonlance. ^_^ The big thing with Dragonlance is that it's just fun. I mean, sure, it's fairly creative and the characters from the books are definitely interesting, but the world also has just enough silly elements (kender, gnomes, and gully dwarves especially come to mind) to make it one of the most fun worlds ever while keeping enough serious elements to give it depth and prevent it from being straight comedy. It's probably the best balance of comedy and drama I've ever seen in a game world.
"I'd really love a cup of tea, but it would be, like, blood or death or evil or something."
~Matteo Brazi, Borcan thief, Day 3 of Bleak House
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

Dragonlance hasn't been detailed to death? Feh! Unless the game's set before the Catalcysm all the cool stuff's been done already... I use parts of the setting, but I HATE gaming there...
Charlatan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charlatan »

Greyhawk, with Dark sun and Planescape running close behind.

GH, mainly for the City itself, which I love. I also enjoy the 'Nuetrality/Balance as a power in itself' and the moral ambiguity aspects. Sure, there are paladin-like good guys, but the greedy, self-centered heroes have the most fun (Gord, Mika-Oba, Escalla).

Dark Sun because it's so different from the normal generic fantasy D&D, and Planescape for it all-encompassingness and horro/glory of the planes themselves. And I liked Sigil for much the same reason I like Greyhawk City (You mean have actually have to go outside the city to find danger and adventure? Why bother going that far from home when you can find it next door?).
"One thing about livin' in Santa Carla I never could stomach... all the damn vampires."
Maximillian
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Maximillian »

Dragonlance for me too! I also enjoyed Mystara (my first setting) but Dragonlance has captured my imagination unlike any other setting. It is finely detailed, with high drama and a unique flavour. Does anyone remeber that "Sturm's sun shattered..."? It made me weep more than once. :cry: My favourite character is of course Raistlin Majere. RAI-STLIN! RAI-STLIN! RAI-STLIN! And now the setting is back with a vengeance. Decent rules, decent story, time to roleplay... And the Orders are BACK!!! We are going to show to all these imbeciles who dared scorn us who is the boss on Ansalon!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :twisted:
OI!!! Don't call me tall, you f@$%&£* midgets!!!
Whisper
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Whisper »

...You have not been taking your pills, have you? You know what happens when you neglect your doctor's advice, don't you? Tsk tsk...