Contest: Most Popular Domain.

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: In one of Neil Gaiman's books, or at least I wish I was.

Post by Undead Cabbage »

I'm really surprised at how well Mordent has done as a domain. Maybe I'm just a 2nd Ed-er, but the domain never really seemed that interesting to me. Perhaps the 3rd Ed Gazetteer treatment made it much more interesting.

Plus, having lived in the UK for 11 years (before my visa expired and the welcome ran out) I can say that the quaint village charm wears off after your 133rd consecutive day of cloud and rain. Sad
You are correct. The Gaz made Mordent quite a fascinating place. Having never played 2nd ed., I can't say how much it was improved.
As a staunch Mordent fan, I will totally agree. The 3rd edition Gazetteer is what made Mordent so awesome. Prior to that, it was mediocre at best.

I mean seriously, Vampires and Liches in regular occurence around the House on Gryphon Hill? Were they stoned?
Well, the presence of the W-F Twins gives plenty of adventure hooks (perhaps you end up helping them in an investigation and learning more about monster hunting, or after a particularly notable and successful monster hunt they contact you!),
Aye, having a pair of NPCs that will help out the players is a staple for players. The twins can also introduce to new players a better, more Ravenloftesque way of playing D&D. They're also a nexus for research, which is crucial for monster hunts.
and-- most importantly to those who find some darklords too passive-- Godefroy was made considerably nastier.
I agree, the 3rd Gaz made Godefroy much more Bad-ass.

Personally, I see the differences between 2e Mordent and 3e Mordent as evidence that no one should ever be afraid to go against the canon material.
I don't get the 'contest' part; is this a contest or a lottery?
By this point, not really. Sure, I've been cheering Mordent on like a groupy, but that was more to get into the fun of it. There's no such thing as a 'Best' realm, just different personal preferences. I'd say Barovia is somewhere in my top five, albeit I'm not sure where.
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

Nathan of the FoS wrote:
DeepShadow wrote:Put me down for Nova Vaasa.
Nova Vaasa? You astonish me. Why so?
10) It's big enough to have forgotten corners where you can stick just about any stock fantasy-horror adventure.
9) The DL can't close the borders. When I'm looking for a base of operations where my PC's can feel somewhat comfortable, that's a biggie.
8) The flip side of #10: despite its size, there's plenty to do there if you want to stick to canon stuff.
7) Malken has a wide criminal organization, totally undetailed. You can make any minor villain into part of his network.
6) The Awakening is one of the better written RL adventures IMO.
5) Players are far less likely to find out who the DL is without reading the book.
4) Assuming they find out, they are far less likely to go haring off to kill the DL.
3) Assuming they try, they are even less likely to succeed.
2) Powers checks for killing potential DL's are a DM's delight.
1) If they actually manage to kill the DL...the DM can replace him with someone whose backgroudn isn't a train wreck of canon contradictions.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

DeepShadow wrote:
Nathan of the FoS wrote:
DeepShadow wrote:Put me down for Nova Vaasa.
Nova Vaasa? You astonish me. Why so?
10) It's big enough to have forgotten corners where you can stick just about any stock fantasy-horror adventure.
9) The DL can't close the borders. When I'm looking for a base of operations where my PC's can feel somewhat comfortable, that's a biggie.
8) The flip side of #10: despite its size, there's plenty to do there if you want to stick to canon stuff.
7) Malken has a wide criminal organization, totally undetailed. You can make any minor villain into part of his network.
6) The Awakening is one of the better written RL adventures IMO.
5) Players are far less likely to find out who the DL is without reading the book.
4) Assuming they find out, they are far less likely to go haring off to kill the DL.
3) Assuming they try, they are even less likely to succeed.
2) Powers checks for killing potential DL's are a DM's delight.
1) If they actually manage to kill the DL...the DM can replace him with someone whose backgroudn isn't a train wreck of canon contradictions.
Ah...you have taken my chief criticism (large and featureless) and made it your chief attraction. Very nice. :)

Myself, I've always found the best way to get over not liking a domain is to write something for it. Sithicus was my least favorite domain until I wrote the Children of Wrath article, and now I rather like it.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Igor the Henchman »

Undead Cabbage wrote:
As a staunch Mordent fan, I will totally agree. The 3rd edition Gazetteer is what made Mordent so awesome. Prior to that, it was mediocre at best.
My memory is foggy, but I seem to remember Mordent being among the most popular places even back in 2nd Edition. Prior to the Gazetteers, it came off as the only "friendly" domain. Though Godefroy was seen as a passive spook back then (I remember lots of jokes about it), that actually made the realm useful as a "starting point" of the campaign - a place to put the PCs at ease.
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Igor the Henchman wrote: My memory is foggy, but I seem to remember Mordent being among the most popular places even back in 2nd Edition. Prior to the Gazetteers, it came off as the only "friendly" domain. Though Godefroy was seen as a passive spook back then (I remember lots of jokes about it), that actually made the realm useful as a "starting point" of the campaign - a place to put the PCs at ease.
And for the most part, even with Godefroy's greatly increased potential for nastiness, it is still a good jumping off point. Now, though, it has plenty of adventure possibilities within itself.
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

Nathan of the FoS wrote:Ah...you have taken my chief criticism (large and featureless) and made it your chief attraction. Very nice. :)
\r

Thank you. I've always been drawn to the places and people in RL that seemed to have unactuated potential.
Myself, I've always found the best way to get over not liking a domain is to write something for it. Sithicus was my least favorite domain until I wrote the Children of Wrath article, and now I rather like it.
Exactly. Don't get me started on all the whiny "there's nothing to do in X, they should never have written it up" crud that circulates from time to time. If you don't like it, fix it, or at least don't try to stop me from doing so.

After all, Saragoss was such a domain, and I think Reckonings is turning out quite well.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

So, when will the finalists get put up for us to vote on?
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scarycount »

well, when I set this thing up, what I had in mind was all the domains were finalists.
Hail Strahd!
Lost Heretic
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lost Heretic »

Hmm...this is tough. I've got a lot of domains that I like and a lot of elements to certain domains that I love.

I'll cast my vote for Barovia.

I also really like Vorostokov (probably because I'm Russian), Falkovnia and Hazlin quite a bit.
Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scarycount »

Barovia is finally tied with Mordent. for 7
Invidia is in 3rd with 3
Darkon, Dementlieu,Richmulot and Kartakass are tied for 4th with 2
Paridon, Sourangne, Borca, Pharazia, Tepest, and Nova Vassa are all bringing up the rear with 1.
Hail Strahd!
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Lost Heretic wrote:I also really like Vorostokov (probably because I'm Russian), Falkovnia and Hazlin quite a bit.
Tovarisch! Good to have more slavic blood around. Welcome to the boards!

And you voted for Barovia, excellent taste as well!
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
Diosamblet
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Diosamblet »

Kartakass.

The Old Kartakan Inn is the most intricate fantasy inn ever. And Wolfweres are just mean.
Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scarycount »

The contest is over in about 2 months.

Just wanted to bring this back up so we could get some more votes in.

If this falls back again, I'll bring it up a week before the end.
Hail Strahd!
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

Scarycount wrote:The contest is over in about 2 months.

Just wanted to bring this back up so we could get some more votes in.

If this falls back again, I'll bring it up a week before the end.
Thanks for letting us know. I was beginning to wonder if this had been forgotten...
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
steveflam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by steveflam »

Ditto on that so I'm voting for Kartakass(Actually my first Ravenloft novel was I, Strahd but after I bought the first black box set, we played in Kartakass constantly.) Not only must you deal with the werewolves here, but the wolfweres are really nasty indeed. THe Inn is like nothing else in Ravenloft. I mean there is also the ironic part of it with the beautiful singing and poets,the inn, which contrast with the werewolf/wolfwere part of it all.