Contest: Most Popular Domain.

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scarycount »

I think I've discovered another aspect of Strahd's curse: to have his realm always just the slightest bit less popular than Godefroy's. Woe is me :cry: . :wink:
Hail Strahd!
CorvusCornix
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by CorvusCornix »

cure wrote: Yes, I too rather like Richemulot, but who is Tanya Huff and what has she contributed to its elaboration?
She's the author of the novel "Scholar of Decay" which takes place in Richemulot - which most seem to count as one of the best Ravenloft novels. To my shame I have to admit it's been standing in my bookshelf, unread, for over a year now...

Also, Tanya Huff wrote a whole bunch of fantasy/horror-novels, so far I've only read "Summon the Keeper", which I found quite disappointing...

And Scarycount, maybe you can find some solace in the fact that Barovia is in almost everybody's list of favorite domains, even if it doesn't always reach the top. We all like it, there's just often a domain we like more :)
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: In one of Neil Gaiman's books, or at least I wish I was.

Post by Undead Cabbage »

What if we were to have sort of a "Round Two", where only certain realms continued on (i.e. those with more than one vote).

7 v.s. 5 is (I hate to admit it) a shaky majority. Think maybe in a week we should start a new thread with the remaining contestants?

Mordent: 7
Barovia: 5
Invidia: 3
Richumelot: 3
Kartakass: 2
Darkon: 2
Paridon: 1
Souragne: 1
Borca: 1
Phaerazia: 1
Tepest: 1
Dementlieu: 1
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

CorvusCornix wrote:
cure wrote: Yes, I too rather like Richemulot, but who is Tanya Huff and what has she contributed to its elaboration?
She's the author of the novel "Scholar of Decay" which takes place in Richemulot - which most seem to count as one of the best Ravenloft novels. To my shame I have to admit it's been standing in my bookshelf, unread, for over a year now...

Also, Tanya Huff wrote a whole bunch of fantasy/horror-novels, so far I've only read "Summon the Keeper", which I found quite disappointing...

And Scarycount, maybe you can find some solace in the fact that Barovia is in almost everybody's list of favorite domains, even if it doesn't always reach the top. We all like it, there's just often a domain we like more :)
Actually, I have read it. It is very good. But it is not at hand just now and I had forgotten the author's name.
The cure for what ails you
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Well, add one more to Barovia. It got it all - cool darklord looming over your shoulder, oppressive atmosphere, and tons of adventure hooks.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scarycount »

Barovia is catching up I see.

For those who can't tell, I don't feel any actual woe (man, that would be pathetic).

Also, I have to say, Mordent is my 2nd favorite domain.

Mordent may be ahead now, but we've still got 4 months till the contest is over. We shall see...... :twisted: :P
Hail Strahd!
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I'm really surprised at how well Mordent has done as a domain. Maybe I'm just a 2nd Ed-er, but the domain never really seemed that interesting to me. Perhaps the 3rd Ed Gazetteer treatment made it much more interesting.

Plus, having lived in the UK for 11 years (before my visa expired and the welcome ran out) I can say that the quaint village charm wears off after your 133rd consecutive day of cloud and rain. :(
Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scarycount »

You are correct. The Gaz made Mordent quite a fascinating place. Having never played 2nd ed., I can't say how much it was improved.
Hail Strahd!
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Scarycount wrote:You are correct. The Gaz made Mordent quite a fascinating place. Having never played 2nd ed., I can't say how much it was improved.
Well, the presence of the W-F Twins gives plenty of adventure hooks (perhaps you end up helping them in an investigation and learning more about monster hunting, or after a particularly notable and successful monster hunt they contact you!), many of the old families/haunted estates have been fleshed out (the Scottmatters have a particularly interesting one), and-- most importantly to those who find some darklords too passive-- Godefroy was made considerably nastier.
Guardian of Twilight
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Guardian of Twilight »

Brandi wrote:and-- most importantly to those who find some darklords too passive-- Godefroy was made considerably nastier.
Yeah... it's always nice to someone like him become more of a people person, isn't it? :wink:
[i]Seek not in the shadows, for there ye shall find secrets too terrible for mortal man to bear. [/i]
-Mordentish proverb
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Brandi wrote:
Scarycount wrote:You are correct. The Gaz made Mordent quite a fascinating place. Having never played 2nd ed., I can't say how much it was improved.
Well, the presence of the W-F Twins gives plenty of adventure hooks (perhaps you end up helping them in an investigation and learning more about monster hunting, or after a particularly notable and successful monster hunt they contact you!), many of the old families/haunted estates have been fleshed out (the Scottmatters have a particularly interesting one), and-- most importantly to those who find some darklords too passive-- Godefroy was made considerably nastier.
That's true. In the times when I was DMing the heyday of Ravenloft campaigns, the Weathermay twins didn't exist (or they were in their early teens) and the PC's go-to guy was always van Richten instead...
Desertrising
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Desertrising »

Please put me down for Dementlieu.
Vote Cthulhu! At least then we know we are going to get screwed.
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

I don't get the 'contest' part; is this a contest or a lottery?

*shrug*

Put me down for Nova Vaasa.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

DeepShadow wrote:Put me down for Nova Vaasa.
Nova Vaasa? You astonish me. Why so?
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Add horse smuggling on all the frontiers, turn the Dommark into a full-fledged badlands and seat of resistance, stress the tensions between the rival branches of the Church and of course the herseies, and exploit the high-level clerical magic to the fullest, and you have a pretty interesting place without even involving Malken or Tristen.
The cure for what ails you