A strange adventure hook I dreamed of this morning.

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

A strange adventure hook I dreamed of this morning.

Post by Joël of the FoS »

There it is. I post it so Brandi won't feel alone with her strange dreams.

---

In a desolated mountainous forest, there is an area that is being kept clear of vegetations and other shrubs. There are ancient, very large stone slab. So ancient in fact that nobody knows where there are from.

Any humanoid slain within a mile from this location rises as a zombie and comes to this site to keep it clear from vegetation.

The site is a well known legendary spooky site, and many theories have been made to offer explanation for the slabs and the curse animating these zombies. Adventurers often go near it, if only to destroy the zombies gathering there (typically 0-5).

The truth? The site is an alien landing site. And eventually, they arrive :) Think clockwork horror type mechanics. Their first task is to build more of their kind to invade the world.

They are pretty immune to anything except an overload of energy (lightning bolts accelerates them, up to twice their hit points in lightning bolt where they bust).

---

All the details above where in my dream. That’s what you get when getting to bed and reading for your game tomorrow.

One second thought, this hook could include illithids, or doppelganger plants.

Going back to reading Harry Potter tonight :)

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Sleep more often :)

Quite interesting, although I prefer far more the mind flayer approach rather than the alien thing.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Reminds me of "Horror's Harvest", a RL tribute to Invasion of the Body Snatchers that ran in Dungeon and made use of bad puns and the hunt for a doppleganger plant.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Luke Fleeman
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Luke Fleeman »

Out of curiosity, what did you watch the night before?
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you - Friedrich Nietzsche
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

:) My friend, smoking that particular weed before going to beat can really beat out the crizzle out of your brizzle...

Apart from my first approach to American hiphop slang, this really reminds me of that adventure Rotipher referred to. Dungeon 35 or so, I think. :)
Joël of the FoS

Luke Fleeman wrote:Out of curiosity, what did you watch the night before?
Nothing related. But I took pârt of the day to read and prepare for my RL game.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

FYI, it was Dungeon 38, and it's still available in print via Paizo,,, For 15 $ plus shipping, of course. :)
Joël of the FoS

Yes, I have it.

Indeed, it's a good one in the short serie of RL adventure made in Dungeon.

Joël
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Reminds me of the old 1e adventure, Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, I think the name was. Crash landed alien ship full of weird techno stuff. Fun... :)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
InVinoVeritas
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by InVinoVeritas »

You always could have both illithids and aliens... The alien world is simply called Bluetspur.
vipera aspis
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by vipera aspis »

this is cool. you could always put it on a small island in the SoS and shipwrecked zombies could swim to shore. maybe have a small backwoods cult devoted to it: via CoC(with zombies!). then Merdoth(i think) could get interested were some of his creations dissappered to(have the stone slab block scrying), send some undead to investigate(only to have them not return, because they now stay with the slab) and so he would for once seek the living to invesigate. he could always kill them later right?
my bones among the rocks and roots
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

You won't watching Doctor Who and an episode involving Madame Pompideau and a gang of clockwork horrors by any chance?

Curious as to zombies rather than something more related. Flesh golems at least to extend the electical theme.

I can already imagine Azalin shapechanging into a rust monster to save the day or does it have to be an electicity elemental.
The cure for what ails you
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

There was also the Dungeon adventure involving a crashed spelljamming mindflayer ship. Wouldn't that go over a treat in Valaki, to say nothing of Immol?
The cure for what ails you
Joël of the FoS

cure wrote:You won't watching Doctor Who and an episode involving Madame Pompideau and a gang of clockwork horrors by any chance?
No! I do not really watch TV.

Only movies, the news and FoodTV :)

Joël