Random Thought-Time of Unparralled Darkness

Discussing all things Ravenloft
yergerjo
Conspirator
Conspirator

Random Thought-Time of Unparralled Darkness

Post by yergerjo »

Ok, this thought came to me late one night, after way to many hours at work (I was on my 2nd shift of the 24 hr period, couldn't remember what day of the week it was).

ToUD-The Dark Powers remove the Domain borders and the Darklords ability to control them, suddenly the people have freedom to move around as do the Darklords themselves.

Perfect time to settle old vendettas:

Azalin-Strahd, Drakov-Darkon, etc

What do you think?
Sorti
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sorti »

From what we know/think to know, the ToUD shouldn't masterminded directly by the DP, but more by some of the great players in RL, like Azalin and the GC. (so many abbreviations...)
Coltiviamo per tutti un rancore
che ha l'odore del sangue rappreso
ciò che allora chiamammo dolore
è soltanto un discorso sospeso
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I actually don't think it will be unparalled darkness. The GC was worse than that. The Darklords could move in and out and there were earthquakes, undead rising etc.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

alhoon wrote:I actually don't think it will be unparalled darkness. The GC was worse than that. The Darklords could move in and out and there were earthquakes, undead rising etc.
Considering it scares the Vistani more, I think the ToUP will be worse than the Grand Conjunction.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Where do we see the actual Vistani discussing the ToUD? Not that I've been following all of the latest predictions on the subject -- not a big plot-element IMC -- but I'd thought it was mostly giorgio sources (like crackpot Bastion Raines) who'd given rise to the idea. :?
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:Where do we see the actual Vistani discussing the ToUD? Not that I've been following all of the latest predictions on the subject -- not a big plot-element IMC -- but I'd thought it was mostly giorgio sources (like crackpot Bastion Raines) who'd given rise to the idea. :?
In Bleak House it says that the Vistani are scared of the ToUP. Can't remember the exact phrase or page, though.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Okay, I'll check on that. Thanks, Drinnik!
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:Okay, I'll check on that. Thanks, Drinnik!
Part of me thinks it's near the multiple endings in the "Bleak House" adventure.
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

I know the intro to Domains of Dread had a lign saying how the future events the developpers had in mind would make even the Vistani look back at the GC as the "good old days"
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Charney wrote:I know the intro to Domains of Dread had a lign saying how the future events the developpers had in mind would make even the Vistani look back at the GC as the "good old days"
I actually remember that quote more or less, but I can't locate it in the book :-(

Alex
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

It's at the very beginning, written by William W. Connors. I don't have the exact page but it's before the first chapter.
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I agree that the Time of Unparalleled Darkness would have to really shake up the multiverse in a way that surpasses both the Grand Conjunction AND the escape of Vecna.

Something that frees all the darklords across the multiverse, AND applies the laws of Ravenloft throughout every game world, AND severely limits the influences of all deities secondary to the Dark Powers' whims might start to scratch the surface of it...
Willowhugger
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Willowhugger »

Well my version is available at this site.
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

HuManBing wrote:I agree that the Time of Unparalleled Darkness would have to really shake up the multiverse in a way that surpasses both the Grand Conjunction AND the escape of Vecna.

Something that frees all the darklords across the multiverse, AND applies the laws of Ravenloft throughout every game world, AND severely limits the influences of all deities secondary to the Dark Powers' whims might start to scratch the surface of it...
I kind of think the opposite, that the ToUD will be incredibly insular and effect the inhabitants of the demi-plane only. Sure, Vecna and the GC shook things up cosmically, but the people of Ravenloft recovered. Vecna's passing had little to no effect on most of the populace. The ToUD should affect each and every inhabitant, personally.
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

The adventure that details the return of Azalin to corporeality and rule, the name escapes me, but Mangrum has pulled it together and had it put up on the front page of the Frat, gives us an example.

Had Death prevented Azalin's return and assumed the lordship of Darkon, one of the events of the ToUD would have been the creeping expansion of the Shroud that hangs over Necropolis. It would have devoured all of Darkon and began to consume the neighbour realms too. It would have pushed all live that could flee before it and would have emptied a vast part of the Core of living.

That is a catacylismic event to my eye.
The cure for what ails you