The Sunsword

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

The Sunsword

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

Wow, I've overlooked this numerous times, but...

The following reference, from the Dragon 260 Article "Van Richten's Herbalist Shop", do you think this is referring to the Sunsword?
Dragon #260 article, Van Richten's Herbalist Shop, p62 wrote:Cellar
This large storage area holds everything Van Richten had collected from fighting the monsters he has written about in his books. Weapons line most of the walls here, many of them made of obscure substances and several of them magical, including a powerful sunsword brought from Castle Ravenloft itself.
Could it, should it, may it be???
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
And I await the crimson fires
That'll wash this world away!
- Wolfbait, "In My Lonely Time Of Dying"
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

!!!!

You mean van Richten had it in his basement ALL THIS TIME?

Wow. I mean, really, how many sunswords brought from Castle Ravenloft can there be?
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Joël of the FoS

Re: The Sunsword

Post by Joël of the FoS »

NecrotiCarny wrote:Could it, should it, may it be???
looks like :)

In RL history, has VR ever held this sword?

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
ChrisNichols
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by ChrisNichols »

I recall mentioning this article to Andrew Wyatt while Gaz 1 was being written. I think there is a reference to this in Gaz. 1's description of the Sunsword.

Chris Nichols
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

ChrisNichols wrote:I recall mentioning this article to Andrew Wyatt while Gaz 1 was being written. I think there is a reference to this in Gaz. 1's description of the Sunsword.

Chris Nichols
Indeed!

Though the blade came into the possession of RVR, it vanished from his herbalist's shop under the nose of the Weathermay twins not long after the doctor's disppearance in 750 BC

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Joël of the FoS wrote:
ChrisNichols wrote:I recall mentioning this article to Andrew Wyatt while Gaz 1 was being written. I think there is a reference to this in Gaz. 1's description of the Sunsword.

Chris Nichols
Indeed!

Though the blade came into the possession of RVR, it vanished from his herbalist's shop under the nose of the Weathermay twins not long after the doctor's disppearance in 750 BC

Joël
Rats.

"But by the time I'd tracked down the sword, I'd found that the Kargatane beat me to it and have moved it again since."

Well, at least we now know why the bookshop in Vallaki was burned down. :)
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Who knows who took it? It's a clear case of the Arthaus authors saying, "Oops, can't leave something that powerful lying around for any ol' PC whose player read that article to go ask the W-F girls to lend it to them!", and throwing it back into the DM's court to choose when and where it turns up.

For that matter, who's to say it's the same sun blade? Considering Strahd's been around for 400+ years, it's possible that more than one such weapon has made its way to Castle Ravenloft over the centuries; in fact, if the Mists grab an outlander who wields such a sword, they'd most likely dump them in Barovia at the first opportunity, the better to mess with Strahd's head. "A hero with a sun blade has turned up again?! Damn you, Sergei, when will that wretched weapon of yours leave me alone!" :wink:
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:Who knows who took it?
Well, I don't know who took it, but I know it's Chris Nichols's fault. :)

Hence, the joke above blaming it on the Kargatane (purposefully mixing in-game and out-of-game stuffs), and the following joke about "Now we know why the bookshop in Vallaki was burned." :)
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

Lord Cyclohexane wrote:
Rotipher of the FoS wrote:Who knows who took it?
Well, I don't know who took it, but I know it's Chris Nichols's fault. :)

Hence, the joke above blaming it on the Kargatane (purposefully mixing in-game and out-of-game stuffs), and the following joke about "Now we know why the bookshop in Vallaki was burned." :)
Oh now I get it :D Good one!
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!