Zombie Question

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Zombie Question

Post by Jasper »

Simple question: How long do Zombies naturaly last before you can't realy call them zombies anymore? I was going to throw some zombies in a short adventure Im running but the adventure is set in a mine that has been left undisterbed for over three years. I started thinking if any corpses would still have enough flesh on them to be called a zombie and not a skeleton.

The mine is open to the air at several places and both animals and small scavanger monsters now inhabit the mine. A small river of cold water runs through the lowest part if that helps answer the question.
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

IMHO, you can assume that the magic animating a zombie is helping keeping its flesh on the bones.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Lord_Pruitt
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lord_Pruitt »

At least part of the flesh, muscle tissues and such would magically remain. It might also be disturbing if some of the zombies had maggots crawling in & on them.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

If you go the maggot route, there's that vermin host special quality in VRGttWD, I forget the exact name....
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

I'm positive I read somewhere, it might have been in VRGttWD, that the same magic that animates a zombie magically "preserves" it in the state in which it was animated. You could have a home rule that zombies eventually worsen, their states of preservation altering due to time/environment, but I'd say that unless you dispel the zombie and then animate it as a skeleton, it always has at least some flesh on its bones- albeit putrescent, mould-riddled and vermin infested.
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

"Seek and Locate! Locate and Destroy! Destroy and Rejoice!"
vipera aspis
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by vipera aspis »

i would make them visually akin to ancient dead or wights.
my bones among the rocks and roots
Lord_Pruitt
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lord_Pruitt »

or you could go straight up old school, and use a blast from Greyhawk - the sons of kyss, type of undead with worms crawling out of it
Luke Fleeman
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Luke Fleeman »

Lord_Pruitt wrote:or you could go straight up old school, and use a blast from Greyhawk - the sons of kyss, type of undead with worms crawling out of it
Which have been featured prominently in the Age of Worms adventure path recently- so the info should eb easy to get.
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you - Friedrich Nietzsche