Need help about Lord Soth / Magda / Inza

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Need help about Lord Soth / Magda / Inza

Post by Ail »

Hi all,

this is for the current point in my campaign. I need to know a little bit about those three in the title. But first, let me explain what for.

At the moment, my PCs are leaving a Vistani camp. One of the young girls there is a dancer with a special gift for seeing and magic. But that is not important right now. She is given to passion and during the Prastonata flirted visually with two PCs. Nothing serious, and totally without consequences: it was just the purposeful seduction of the performer. On the morning, when they leave camp, she may address one of the PCs in a teasing manner, but once again without consequences or real meaning behind. She is simply amused by the PCs and finds them good-looking.

But I need something else. I need this woman to decide to risk her life or exile from the tribe in a few days because of them. And that is a very serious decision.

How? Here is. Supposing the PCs survive until then, they will meet in a few days (4 or 5) a church by a forest road. They are in transit between two places and the local populations have told them that is the only way and that there is no where to stop for the night but the old Church. It is known as the Church of Miracles, or Church of Visions, because many events have been reported of people sleeping there and having visions about their future. assuming they stay there, they do have a vision.
I want to take the players to Souragne. to this end, they will meet Larissa Snowmane. Supposedly, she is looking for a stone that can give great powers over the undead, and said stone is being looked for by Anton, Mensonge and whoever more is needed.
The vision the PCs have is a series of events of their past, the two deaths that sparked the campaign, their present victory (of the day before), their meeting of Larissa, their refusal to go with her, their return to their homeland, the dead rising from the graves and attacking the city, the people in arms being submerged by them, and they being dragged and killed in the mass. Pretty gloomy, and the idea here is that refusing Larissa will lead to their end.

The vistani girl has the same vision, or parts thereof, but she sees even more. She sees a Death Knight rising from the mass of dead people. She also knows, or sees, that accepting to go with Larissa will give them a fighting chance. I had an idea of the players somehow seeing another vision, after that, that replays exactly but this time they have a green jewel that sends the dead back, and they don't die. I don't necessarily want the vision to show the jewel is in Souragne, but give them hints that Larissa will take them to it.
The girl must break a rule of the tribe, run away from it to meet the PCs as soon as possible and warn them in some way that still has to be worked that they should not believe their visions as the only possible future, that there are alternatives.

What is happening here? The failure of the PCs allows the villain in the campaign to accomplish his ritual to create / invoke /whatever a Death Knight. This is not Soth, but the Vistani girl doesn't know that. And she knows Soth for some reason.

This is where I need your help. How does she know Soth? Why does she think he must be stopped at all costs? This must be personal for her, simply saying 'he'll destroy the world' is not motive enough for me.
Regarding Soth, I haven't decided at what point in history we are. My game is in 751, but I allow different domains to be in different timesteps, as better suits me. as such, Van Richten is alive, Azalin is in power, Mallochio is just a child so that I can run The Evil Eye if I get a chance, and that, I think, places Invidia in 742. I don't know when is Sithicus at the time. Is When Black Roses Bloom interesting? I haven't read it, I don't know if I could run it in my campaign, but my feeling is against it. I have too much trouble to run what I want already. On the other hand, there a bunch of DL fanatics in my group, and I have just began a DL campaign run by one of my players, and I have all the chance to be a DL fanatic any time soon. Which means they might like to see Lord Soth. So, I don't know if Inza is already around.

What I had thought, was that this Vistani girl might be another survivor of the Kulzevich massacre. Or she could be Inza. Or she could be a close relative of Magda, but I don't know enough of this history to make a convincing story.

Also, regarding the Gypsy part here. The rule of the Vistani tribe is to not
interfere in the destiny. If the PCs haven't asked for a reading or if they have and the reading has shown that vision, then the Vistani must not give advice regarding it. It is each one's responsability to interpret the reading for himself. This girl wants to go over that to actually steer the PCs in regard to a vision. Not only that, she must leave the tribe to do it, and on top of it, she may be lured to carnal contact with one of the PCs. Whatever is necessary for a gypsy male that loves her to drag her to camp and Vishnadd, and the PC in question with her too. And the thing must be personal enough for the raunie to decline the Vishnadd and substitute for a duel of honor with daggers between the gypsy and the Pc in question. The fate of the girl will be decided by that duel (actually, this whole setup was just meant as a justification for this duel and nothing else. I then added a way to suggest going to Souragne, but the main scene I want is the honour duel).

Can anyone help me?

Thank you all.

Alex
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

What if she read her own future and is taking control of her destiny? She saw the players and decided they might be what she needed to alter her fate (perhaps the death knight kills her or that future leads to an otherwise grim destiny).
She may be related to Magda and the Vistani of Sithicus or she may have heard of what Soth did to that Tasque.