Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror: M is for Malevolent!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Mind flayer, illithid

"Dominani's slave paid us up front and well to fetch back the five adventurers and their baggage. At the place and hour of the rendez-vous there were but three of the giorgios. The two males had in their eyes the look of hunted animals and the female gazed upon the blasted realm with wide-eyed confusion. On the ground between them lay a native. The thing was covered in two score of blue tinged leeches, which cast a faint red light, and it was not more than half-conscious, its limbs and tentacles tugging languidly against cruelly wound wire."

-Madame Eva in council with Strahd von Zarovich

or

"His slave paid us up front and well to fetch back the five adventurers and their baggage. At the place and hour of the rendez-vous there were but three of the giorgios. The two males had in their eyes the look of hunted animals and the female gazed upon the blasted realm with wide-eyed confusion. On the ground between them lay a native. The thing was covered in two score of blue tinged leeches, which cast a faint red light, and it was not more than half-conscious, its limbs and tentacles tugging languidly against cruelly wound wire. Upon our return Dominani met us at the door of his asylum and professed eternal gratitude, then offered us the Musarde if only we would intercept and deter the band of adventurers who had visited Blutspur in 739."

-Madame Eva in council with Strahd von Zarovich
Last edited by cure on Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:37 am, edited 35 times in total.
The cure for what ails you
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

I have to admit that this illithid blurb went over my head.
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

John,

I have been trying to get it right. The back story is that Doctor Dominani has developed a worrying interest not only in mind flayers but moreover in the history of their realm, madly thinking that the Zarovich tribe of the Vistani might be persuaded to intervene in past events and change them. This is part idle academic curiousity by the doctor and part conviction that a vampire-mind flayer cross is possible, but that it takes the right sort of vampire. The Vistani as Strahd's allies and spies think that the count should be put abreast of Dominani's interest in the mind flayers and their history, especially given the involvement of his scheming cousin in that history. The front story is that cruelty and torment befalls even the mind flayers, this one being bound physically by wire and mentally by the leeches that it might be delivered to Dominani for experimentation. Of course the band of adventurers have paid a high price for their success.

After the rewriting, does it, in either version, work now?

cure
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Mind flayer, illithid

Sena gazed upon the blasted place with wide-eyed confusion. Horace had the look of a hunted animal. Which in fact he was, as were we all. I was very much worse for wear, and more than a little concerned that our fate now rested upon the trustworthiness of the Vistani, and, for that matter, of our employer. Lying on the ground between us was a native of the sunless realm, one of the proprietors of the vast butcher shop. The thing, tentacles and all, was bound tight as a drum, or nearly so, and covered with two score of leeches supplied by the doctor. They, or at very least my swift kick to its head, were proving to be effective. Nonetheless, not two feet away from me, the thing's stomach noisily digested Victor's brain. A second kick to its head did my toe little good and less for poor Victor. Repeated kicks to its belly had failed to oblige it to part ways with its breakfast. Minutes seemed to pass as hours. Then a sudden and violent gust of wind threw up a wall of dust. When I could see clearly again, our rescuers and their vardos stood in waiting. We would live to reach the ile of Domina, to deliver the damned thing, to reap our reward.

-Brutus Nostrum retelling himself how he came to be confined in Doctor Daclaud Heinforth's Asylum for the Mentally Disturbed
Last edited by cure on Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:29 am, edited 4 times in total.
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Mind Flayer, Neothelid
"Tell us another one of your fetching stories, I always love a good spinetingler!"
"Your words are kind, Herr Meistersinger. Since you insist, I'll tell you about a dream I once had."
"A dream, eh? How many milkmaids were in it?"
"None, I'm afraid. I had a dream about a great, red rock beneath a shadowed blue sky without sun or stars, swathed in darkness without night. Beneath this great, red rock, there was a great roaring hunger-"
"Was there a great thirst in there, too?"
"I'm not sure. There was a darkness: in it, I saw four worms. I think they were a part of that roaring thing."
"You said it was "hunger.""
"Yes, and deep, deep down inside of that hunger, I could hear something else. A want, a need, it was so sad, like a teardrop falling inside of a wasp's nest."
"What strange dreams you have."

-Retelling of a feeshka, as witnessed by Harkon Lukas
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

Cure: I went with the third version.

Gemathustra: I'm sorry, but Chris Nichols beat you to the neothelid by quite some time. Of the mind flayer "family," all that's left are the larval flayer and the ulitharid.
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

Here's the remaining M monsters:

Marikith (shadow killer), hunter [Denizens of Dread]
Marikith (shadow killer), queen [Denizens of Dread]
Marzanna* [Frostburn]
Meazel [Monsters of Faerûn]
Mechanical serpent, bronze serpent [Monster Manual II]
Mechanical serpent, iron cobra [Fiend Folio]
Meenlock* [Monster Manual II]
Mind flayer, larval flayer* [Complete Psionic]
Mind flayer, ulitharid* [Lords of Madness]
Mongrelfolk [Fiend Folio]
Moonbeast [Monster Manual II]
Moorfolk [Denizens of Dread]
Morkoth [Monster Manual II]
Murk [Libris Mortis]
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Marikith (shadow killer), hunter [Denizens of Dread]

Shocking Incident in Devlin Street!

We have learned through reliable sources of a gruesome occurence in Devlin Street which occured between seven and eight P.M. yesterday evening. While on the beat in Devlin Street Police Constable J. Thomas Talboy came upon an altercation involving a working man under assault by a "black, spidery man", in PC Talboy's memorable locution. PC Talboy raised the alarm and gave chase and the attacker fled; when pursuit grew hot the creature (which those who saw it agreed could not be human) squeezed itself through a sewer drain some 4 inches by 12 and made good its escape. All who witnessed it agreed it was not human, and there was much commentary on its evil face and glowing red eyes. In the face of such continued evidences, who can doubt the existence of these shadow killers among us?

Paridon Newsbill, 7 January 758

Marikith (shadow killer), queen [Denizens of Dread]

We had gone far, far below any point I had ever heard of being reached by explorers; farther, in fact, than I had believed possible. The depths of ruined Timor contain more, both of the marvelous and the horrible, than can be reckoned.

Its chief horror we did not meet, but my guide described it to me, and showed me a place where a rude picture had been daubed on a building wall--a thing like a massive spider, but with the torso and head of a beautiful woman, her face distorted by fangs. If the human portion was of human size, the whole must be larger than a horse. Those few who have heard of her call her only "The Queen Below."

Alfred Larner to Malcolm Scott, private correspondence
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Mechanical serpent, bronze serpent [Monster Manual II]

The deceased (Professor Mortimer) had just completed the following translation, which may be of interest:

Here rests Ashar-kon, Dweller in Eternity, Prince of a Thousand Years. All that the earth provides lies here with him, gold and lapis lazuli, corn, meat and beer, weapons of war, the crook and flail, honored servants. Over all these things we have set a guardian, the Bronze Serpent, child of Apep, itself a servant more faithful than death and stronger than the passing years. Turn aside, o faithless one, before you do harm to any thing here present, or take one grain of corn; the Bronze Serpent is witho...

(The translation ends here; the deceased was apparently translating a stone tablet set on the table before him.)

The deceased appears to have been bitten twice by a snake of surprising size--perhaps one of the specimens brought back from his recent expedition to Har'Akir?

Constable Sturm Androv, from the official report on the death of Mordentish scholar Prof. Jaspar Mortimer in Kantora

Mechanical serpent, iron cobra [Fiend Folio]

As I spoke with the famed swami we looked out over his impeccably groomed estate. I made some remark about the difficulty of keeping the public from using so attractive a space as a public garden, and Master Suriben smiled. "It is not so difficult," he said. "They fear the cobras."

I assured him that in their shoes (or lack thereof) I would do the same, but that it must be difficult to find and keep garden workers in that case. "You have not seen my cobras," he said, smiling more broadly now, and raised a whistle to his lips. I heard nothing, but suddenly there was a shining and a twinkling as what seemed to be dozens of smooth steel-colored snakes slipped into the garden paths and made their way toward us. As they came and danced before their master I could see they did not merely appear steely--they were made of steel.

Captain John Smith, Expedition to Sri Raji
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Marzanna* [Frostburn]

The Zolniks are all monsters at heart. Gregor is the worst, but his sisters are not much better. They say that his sisters hated him after he killed their mother, and that they went out into the woods, and took the heart of a bear and other things, and offered it to the Old Witch herself; and the Old Witch adopted them. Now they aren't human either. Ogres, that's what they are. Hags. Iron teeth, bone fingernails, breath like winter itself.

Dimitri Rossenov, Vos hunter, now residing in Kartakass

Meenlock* [Monster Manual II]

We used to get all kinds of horrible things in that part of the country. There were unfortunate creatures--I suppose they might have been human, or something like it, once--who appeared with some regularity. Rather human-looking at a distance, but with claws like a crab and mandibles--hence no conversational ability to speak of. My own taste runs to the human, without elaboration or these "meldings", but the masters of that place apparently disagreed... I'm glad they're gone. Good fences make good neighbors, and the Mists a good fence.

Harkon Lukas to Jameld of Hroth, as reported to G. Weathermay-Foxgrove

Mongrelfolk [Fiend Folio]

Petrovna turned and stared out over us, his eyes bulging. "See now the hand of the Destroyer raised against this heretic!" he shouted, and raved in like manner for something like half an hour. I will not bother to repeat his tirade, most of which was repititious in the extreme, but the climax, when it came, was appallingly swift. Turning back to the young woman chained to the altar, he drews his hand down her face, then across her torso, and spat on her. For a moment she struggled, screaming, against her bonds, and as she did so her limbs twisted out of true and her flesh ran like melting wax. She had gone up a plain girl, ordinary in every way save for her supposed sin; she came down inhumanly wracked and deformed, and fled into the desert as we watched. That ended the spectacle.

Larraby Quift, Journeys Through the Mists

Moonbeast [Monster Manual II]

The old man came in quietly; I do not know how long he had been there when I first saw him. When he saw I had noticed, he came forward, smiling a soft unpleasant smile. "You must be Master Goldwin's daughter," he said. I assured him he was correct and asked if he knew my father. "Yes," he replied. "He and I are...old friends." There was something in his voice and manner which I did not like, but I thought little of it then.

He reached into his pocket and brought out a beautiful grey-blue gemstone of a kind I have never seen previously. "I owe your father a gift," he said, still smiling. "Please, give this to him, and tell him with it I intend to heal the rift between us. If only he will accept it, all is forgiven, all is forgotten. Can you do that?"

I said I would, but that if he cared to wait he could present it to my father himself. "Ah," he said, "the press of business takes me from here, and I must be far off before he returns. But see that he gets the stone." Turning, he donned hat and jacket and departed.

The Moonstone, from Twelve Tales of the Macabre, Jean Lafolie
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Moorfolk [Denizens of Dread]

There are, of course, little people who live in the fens, that much is true; but much of what is associated with them by folklore and tittle-tattle has no basis in fact. To mention only a few examples, they do not eat human flesh, they do have shadows, they are not fey, and they cannot turn into moor-hounds (at least, we have found no reliable reports of such). They do practice the strange and powerful art of making living tattoos, and every adult moor-man bears one; but this is an idiosyncracy which confirms, rather than denying, their essential humanity.

Laurie and Gennifer Weathermay-Foxgrove, Survey of Mordent (still unpublished)

Morkoth [Monster Manual II]

Down, down, down!
Round, round, round!
The master of the ocean deep
Has bid you dine within his keep.
A garden maze he's laid without
To keep unwelcome people out,
A labyrinth he's laid within
To keep his dinner guests with him.
He has a beak to nibble with,
He has the body of a fish.
Down, down, down!
Round, round, round!

Blaustein children's rhyme

Murk [Libris Mortis]

"Step out into the light!" the farmer told us, and we obliged. As we did so he relaxed visibly, and said, "Come on up, then. Slowly, now!" We did as he asked, and I saw that he took careful note of the footprints we left in the pre-dawn dew on the grass.

"Sorry," he said, shaking our hands as we reached him. "I've gotten some visitors recently as have me jumping at every shadow--and I do mean, shadow. The other day my son saw one in the barn--a big black shadow with no man to cast it, and eyes like red embers. I guess our neighbors have gotten restless." He nodded in the direction of the Shallowford cemetary, perhaps a furlong to the south.

Mattias Mikkelson to Laurie Weathermay-Foxgrove, private correspondence
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Meazel [Monsters of Faerûn]

I often wonder what happened to Il Aluk’s bogeyman? Since the infamous destruction of the city, we heard nothing of this infamous sewer denizen afterward. I guess it was destroyed with the rest? Or is still lurking in the black shadows of the under ground? Are his jet-black eyes still watching for preys? Could it be possible that his terrible needle-like teeth are still ready to kill again?

Added later: There was a sighting last month. So this thing is still there. More details later after investigate the witness.

Hans Gleam’s notes on Il Aluk’s sewer killer
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Mind flayer, larval flayer* [Complete Psionic]

At first I thought they was some kind of squid, or octopus; but they warn't. There's only the four tentacles, and the mouth's wrong; so are the eyes. I dunno. Damnedest things I ever did draw up in my net. They didn't look good to eat--I wouldn't eat one--so we just chunked 'em back in the bay.

Alistair MacGrim, Mordentish fisherman

Mind flayer, ulitharid* [Lords of Madness]

The darkness at the top of the dias stirred, and then it spoke (if it did speak, for it seemed that the words wormed directly into our minds without passing through the air). "You will be greatly rewarded for loyal service," it said, and there was a feeling--like it was the most wonderful thing in the world we had been promised, and the thing on the dias was our kindest friend. "Come forward and receive my blessing."

That was why we went forward, and why we didn't run when the tentacle oozed out of the darkness, from where the thing seemed to speak (as if--Belenus save me!--the tentacle came from its face) and touched each of us on the forehead in turn.

"Now," it said, and its pleasure was unmistakeable and unspeakable, "you are mine."

Now you understand. It is calling me, and I must go.

from a manuscript written by Dereg ApMorte at the time of his disappearance, Hazlan, August 759
Last edited by Nathan of the FoS on Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Is the "meazel" entry appropriate? I guess I shoulda left it, since I don't know anything about it other than a) Salizarr is one, b) the picture. But I was on a roll, so I figured why not?

EDIT: I see Joel beat me to it, so I'll take mine down.
Last edited by Nathan of the FoS on Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Mechanical serpent, the Shadow Serpent (iron cobra) [Book of Souls – Keepers of the Coil]

“My beautiful black snake! Where is it? I lost it? I need another one! Blue! Beautiful assassin, so lovely, so deadly! I need meteoric iron, I need it! Snake so deadly! And the snake ink: delightfully distilled shadow asps! More victims for them to bite while they die and become liquid! So interesting to watch them shiver. The beautiful look in their eyes. Their eluding souls! Their beautiful souls! And then my snake is alive! By my genius! It’s ready to punish petty offenders! Ready to eliminate those that laugh behind my back! Its crystal coffer will get the hairs of Lady Islena, then the smoke pipe of Walter of Abdok, then this farmer who’s egg contained two yolks. All punished! All vanished! Who’s laughing now? Then this boy who looked at me yesterday, then Lady Islena again! Bitten! Bitten! Bitten!”, followed by mad laughing.

Heard in a backalley of Abdok
Last edited by Joël of the FoS on Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)