Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror: L is for Lamentable!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror: L is for Lamentable!

Post by Mangrum »

Here's the letter L. It's another letter with a massive "critter clump"; this letter contains all varieties of not one but two of the Foes of Van Richten: liches and werebeasts. Most of the "new" lycanthropic phenotypes are just filling in obvious niches. The wereooze is an unusual variant, in that the phenotype is a gray ooze. The general concept is that wereoozes generally arise from maledictive origins. Merely being damaged by a wereooze isn't enough to expose a victim to lycanthropy; the victim must be killed. At the moment of death (when the victim is absorbed by the ooze), the victim gets a Fort save. if it fails, the victim dies and is digested. If it succeeds, it becomes a wereooze; the absorbing wereooze splits in two, its "offspring" being the new wereooze. Leucrottas have appeared in a handful of Ravenloft sourcebooks and adventures, including Gaz I and Dark of the Moon. Other than that, it's all fairly self-explanatory.

Done! Lake serpent, undead [Ravenloft Gazetteer I, Castles Forlorn]
Done! Lantern jack [Van Richten’s Arsenal]
Done! Lashweed [Denizens of Dread]
Done! Leech, giant [Stormwrack]
Leech, occult, mindsapper leech [RL MC III (as psionic leech)]
Done!Leech, occult, witchbane leech [RL MC III (as magical leech), Denizens of Darkness]
Leechwalker [Monster Manual II] Pic
Done!Leucrotta [Monsters of Faerûn]
Done! Lich [Monster Manual]
Done!Lich, dry [Sandstorm] Pic
Done!Lich, elemental [Denizens of Dread]
Done!Living tattoo [Denizens of Dread]
Done! Living wall [Denizens of Dread]
Lost soul [The Nightmare Lands]
Done!Lycanthrope, loup-garou, lowland [Denizens of Dread] Pic
Done! Lycanthrope, loup-garou, mountain [Denizens of Dread]
Done! Lycanthrope, wereape [new]
Done! Lycanthrope, werebadger [Denizens of Dread]
Done!Lycanthrope, werebat [Monsters of Faerûn]Pic
Done!Lycanthrope, werebear [Monster Manual] Pic
Done!Lycanthrope, wereboar [Monster Manual]
Done! Lycanthrope, werecrocodile [Sandstorm] Pic
Done! Lycanthrope, werefox (vixen) [Ravenloft Gazetteer I]
Done!Lycanthrope, werehyena [new]
Done!Lycanthrope, werejackal [Denizens of Dread]
Done!Lycanthrope, werejaguar [Denizens of Dread]
Done!Lycanthrope, wereleopard [Denizens of Dread]
Lycanthrope, werelion [new]
Done! Lycanthrope, wereoctopus [new]
Done! Lycanthrope, wereooze [new]
Done!Lycanthrope, werepanther [new]
Done! Lycanthrope, wererat [Monster Manual] Pic
Done! Lycanthrope, wereraven [Denizens of Dread]
Lycanthrope, wereray [Denizens of Dread]
Lycanthrope, weresea cat (sea stalker) [Ravenloft Gazetteer II]
Lycanthrope, wereshark [Monsters of Faerûn]Pic
Lycanthrope, weresnake [new]
Done! Lycanthrope, weretiger [Monster Manual]
Done! Lycanthrope, werewolf [Monster Manual]
Lycanthrope, werewolverine [new]
Last edited by Mangrum on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:10 pm, edited 16 times in total.
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Lycanthrope, wereape

Post by cure »

LYCANTHROPE, WEREAPE

"My esteemed colleague, is this proof enough? I told you, I told everybody. Man is descended from ape. Your childish prejudices are as nothing before my serum of regression. Yet you, my ever dim-witted fellow, seem even thicker in the skull for the experience."

-Last words of Doctor David Strickland, from The Animality of Man, a novel written and published anonymously in Paridon and declared anathema by the Church of the Divinity of Man
Last edited by cure on Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The cure for what ails you
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

weretiger

"In the excitement of the fight, the village boy we were using as a guide lost his footing and plummeted into the swift river below. When Yasmine and Michael moved to stop the shaggy, redheaded man, he grabbed Michael by his armored shoulder and hurled him into her as though the knight were but a cord of wood. The redheaded man plunged into the river, too. In less than a minute, a huge tiger burst out of the white waters with the sodden boy dangling safely from his mighty jaws."
"Word quickly spread about our fight with the "Man-Tiger," and the mood of all the villagers soured upon our return. Our guide's mother, in particular, decided to repay our attack upon her son's guardian by launching an arrow into my shoulder."
-- from the journals of Jerome Delacroix, Mordentish adventurer

werewolf
"We thought they were Vistani. They talked like Vistani, but they were dressed all in black. We made a horrid mistake of letting them tend to Claude's wounds. The old crone of theirs poured a red liquid into the gashes, and they closed up. Yet, for some reason, no one said anything about the black hairs that started sprouting all over his skin. Yasmine said it was a miracle, as did I, and then those damned fake gypsies went on their merry way."
"Claude's renewed vigor came to a head at moonrise, I saw him crouching over the torn carcass of my horse."

leech, giant [Stormwrack]
"Thanks to Yasmine's counterspells, that accursed spiritualist was out of both magic and blasting powders. The trail of his blood lead us deep within the mine shaft.
""The game is over, Glamgel! Your bag of tricks is empty!" I screamed.
"Glamgel grinned as he clutched his bleeding arm."
""That may be so, but I always have a friend to help me out!" He snapped his fingers, and an ox-sized worm with tarry skin oozed out of a crevisse in the ceiling. It bared its fanged, triple-jawed mouth at us in a gurgling roar. Glamgel fled our wrath, laughing all the way."
Last edited by Gemathustra on Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Lake serpent, living

Post by cure »

LAKE SERPENT, LIVING

-"Harkon, what can you tell me of the 'Beast of Pel,' slain in refrain by Calum Songmaster?"
-"Exercise a bit of caution, my old friend, along the banks of the Mørkendre and the Nharov. You might not be as fortunate as I and could lose more than your favourite hat."

Discussion over meekulbrau in the Old Kartakan Inn

(John, I penned this before realising the provision that the creature be undead and from the Lake of Tears. Put the entry to use or not as you will.)
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Lantern jack

Post by cure »

LANTERN JACK

And the pumpkin said, “But I do not wish to spoil and die. I am new to this world and its wonders.”
The magician replied, “Death is the spice of life. All who are born are born to die.”
The pumpkin thought about this for a long moment before replying brightly, “You created me, you created life, you are a god, give me everlasting life.”
The magician chuckled bitterly, “Oh, were it so Jack. My beloved Sylvie would not die. But know that I am only a humble stage magician. She too shall one day die.”
After the magician had returned to his tinkering the pumpkin whispered, “Indeed she will. And then we will have your measure.”

-Lantern Jack and the Stage Magician, Dementieuse folktale
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Re: Teeny Tiny Tales of Terror: L is for Lamentable!

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Lich [Monster Manual]

There are only three things worth seeking: Immortality, Omniscience, Omnipotence.

There is only one way to achieve them.

He who is clothed in the Raiment of Clarity will rule over Existence; he who is not clad in that garment must serve the one so clothed. Herein is written the beginning of power, and of wisdom, and of eternal life.

Preface to The Raiment of Clarity

Lycanthrope, loup-garou, mountain [Denizens of Dread]

The hills rang with howling, and the tall old crone, her eyes the color of the yellow moon, stepped forward. Behind her came a great gray wolf, of the height of a man at the shoulder, who fawned on her as a lapdog on its mistress.

"You have fled in vain, fools," she said, her voice high and harsh. "You have thought to find shelter among your own kind, behind your walls, beneath your roofs, within your stockades. All for naught, and now you must join with us or die. Here reigns the Wolf!"

Kartakan feeshka, first teller unknown
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

Lycanthrope, wereooze

"I had second thoughts about hiring the urchin as our guide but we had little choice as our own search for the theaving wererats had gone cold. He smelled of sewage and the pungent odor of chemicals and his skin constantly glissened with grime and sweat but begriudgingly I had to agree that he knew his way around the labyerinth of tunnels under the city.

Three days into the strench filled tunnels we came aross thier den but it turned out they had been following us as well. Leaping from every crack and hole three of my guards were dead before they could draw thier weapons. The largest of the swarm jumped at me as I rolled to the side only to be leap upon in turn by the urchin. In mute shock I watched as his flesh melted into a grey mass of ooze and disolving bone engulfing the wererat. Within moments only a puddle of fur and blood remained of the once horiffic creature as the grey ooze solidified back into the form of a child..."

Memiors of Sir Jerod Marcus, City watch, Port-a-lucine
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

The wereooze is a dreadfully good idea. Perfect for sewars, Larmordia, the mines of the Mountains of Misery. What an alien psychology it must have. Can you post the details of the creature in all its abyssal glory?
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

cure wrote:The wereooze is a dreadfully good idea. Perfect for sewars, Larmordia, the mines of the Mountains of Misery. What an alien psychology it must have. Can you post the details of the creature in all its abyssal glory?
Basically, just apply the lycanthrope template, using a gray ooze as the phenotype.
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Lake Serpent, undead

Post by cure »

LAKE SERPENT, UNDEAD

No biologist trained in Darkon is wholly unfamiliar with necrology. And only the most bigoted would deny that something of the nature of life can be learned through it. Still, it is an art, not a science, and a very black art at that. The biologist who openly professes interest, let alone competence, in necrology is a rare bird. My expedition to Forlorn included one. He had pieced together centuries of information concerning the creature said to lurk in the Lake of Red Tears. When we reached its bleak shore, he disturbed the placid waters and the great coiled thing rose up to indulge our curiosity. Rather than join us at a safe distance, he waded forth towards the monstrous serpent, intent, I dare say, upon commanding its might, although to what purpose I do not know. But Agatha, as he had always referred to it, snapped him up with a single bite and his agonized scream, escaping from that ripped and holed carcass of unlife, survived him, echoing from the cliffs.

-“Inaugural address to the Biology Department of the University of Dementlieu,” Doctor Abelhous Nicholis, visiting professor from the University of Il Aluk in Exile at Karg
Last edited by cure on Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:59 pm, edited 9 times in total.
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Living wall

Post by cure »

LIVING WALL

“There is hardly a man, woman or child who does not know at least one thing worth preserving. Yet they all are to die and rot away, even the children, damning their knowledge to oblivion. No longer. I save them. I guard what they have learnt. They endure within these walls. They are not corpses difficultly unearthed. And they are not hollowed out shells of their former selves. They are at hand. They are possessed of intelligence. And once I have mastered the rite for breaking through their raving madness, few indeed will be the secrets hidden from me. And so it is time. Tell me. Tell me all. And you will serve me in life, enjoying a natural death. Otherwise, I will give you, as I have given your servant, to their grasping hands. I will wed you to them in collective torment til stone becomes sand and perhaps beyond.”

-Interview with a Lich
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

John, did you forget the Lebendtod, or were they already done?

Same question with the Kizoku?

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:John, did you forget the Lebendtod, or were they already done?

Already done. I think I posted them in the initial thread that kicked off this project.
Matthew L. Martin
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Matthew L. Martin »

Mangrum wrote:
Joël of the Fraternity wrote:John, did you forget the Lebendtod, or were they already done?

Already done. I think I posted them in the initial thread that kicked off this project.
No such luck, John, and I don't have easy access to my files. Think you could post them? I'm fairly proud of the kizoku, and the lebendtod's a nifty (IMO) homage to a bit from the Black Box.

Matthew L. Martin
ChrisNichols
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by ChrisNichols »

I believe the homonculus blurb also got left out of the initial set.

Chris Nichols