Where next?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Ro-ku-shi-ma! Ro-ku-shi-ma! :D
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

While I'd like to see another individual domain written up (maybe G'Henna?) most of the stuff left to cover is in clusters.

Just to make it simple, I'd choose the Frozen Reaches. There are only two domains to focus on. We have an excellent 2nd ed. source for Vorostokov (Dark of the Moon).

Sanguinia hasn't ever been fully detailed, giving everyone a blank slate to really be creative with (plus there was that excellent origin for its darklord posted on the forum).
Sorti
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Sorti »

Shadowborn Cluster. C'mon, you know you can't say "No" to Elena...
Coltiviamo per tutti un rancore
che ha l'odore del sangue rappreso
ciò che allora chiamammo dolore
è soltanto un discorso sospeso
Band2
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Band2 »

I would say either the Shadowlands Cluster or the Frozen Reaches cluster.
Only two things scare me and one is former back-up dancers for Christina Aguilera.
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

Personally, I'd like to see the Nocturnal Sea done next. I'd really been looking forward to that appearing in GazVI (finally having some goings-on in both Liffe and Graben Islands!), but realize I am quite outvoted here.
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
And I await the crimson fires
That'll wash this world away!
- Wolfbait, "In My Lonely Time Of Dying"
NeoTiamat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NeoTiamat »

Fro-zen-Rea-ches! Fro-zen-Rea-ches! Fro-zen-Rea-ches!

I mean, eternal winter, boyars, Darklord that turns into a woof-woof with a belt, what's not to like?

It hasn't been detailed in Ezra knows how long, so why not?

Plus, Russian folklore (which it's based on), has so many cool and unused monsters. Baba Yaga? Koschei the Deathless? Kikimera? Swallow-Robber? Leshii? Vodinoi? Rusalka? Bannik? Domovoi? Likho? Polevik? Upire?

The possibilities are endless.
Ravenloft GM: Eye of Anubis, Shattered City, and Prof. Lupescu's Traveling Ghost Show
Lead Writer & Editor: VRS Files: Doppelgangers; Contributor: QtR #20, #21, #22, #23, #24
Freelance Writer for Paizo Publishing
vipera aspis
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by vipera aspis »

maybe parts that are not quite touched enough. The mountains of misery perhaps? though shadowlands would be cool. as well as any of the seas. or frozen reaches. or the wildlands.
my bones among the rocks and roots
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

From the ones above, I'd pick in this order:

Frozen Reaches
Shadowlands
Amber Wastes

A special mention to the Wildlands, but if it would include African black and shamanic magic in it, which would imply having some humans living in the jungle. Of course, they should be considered part of nature, just the little bit civilized enough to be considered humans but so little that visitors from abroad would take them for little more than animals. I've always been scared by those settings: the strange and dangerous animals, the oppressive warm shadow of the jungle, the incantations of long forgotten primitive gods, those barbaric rituals, a society that is human but very much more physical than intellectual and much much more based on survival and dealings with the supernatural than in progress, making riches and fighting for power.

I don't care for seas, Nosos or any other advanced domains nor Blutspur.
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Shadowlands, definitely.

Apart from that, what about a collection of adventures instead of a new gaz. Because, after all, adventures are always needed... :)
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

Personally, I'd like the Verduous Lands Cluster (simply because the Wildlands has my interest) or the Shadowborn Cluster.

On another note, how long until the Paridon/Timor Gazetteer is released? I've been waiting for it with great anticipation.
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

"Seek and Locate! Locate and Destroy! Destroy and Rejoice!"
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

The main reason why I would favour the Shadowlands Cluster would be that it offers a *basic chivalric setting* without too many meta-plot connections.

If I would do a Shadowlands Gaz/ long time campaign/ whatever, I would leave most of the usual RL world connections out, and try to focus on a new, independent seting for the mists. :)
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

Not to threadjack this discussion or anything, as this isn't something I'd specifically like to see immediately, but...

One thing I'd really like to see is a "Guide to Gundarak", covering everything from a Gundarakite's perspective. While GazI (Barovia) and GazIV (Invidia) gave little hints and tidbits, I'd like to see more about the Gundarakites directly rather than about Barovian opinions on Gundarakites and Invidian opinions on Gundarakites.

And this is not at all a complaint about what the Kargatane wrote. When writing the sections for Barovia and Invidia, Mangrum and Pryor needed to focus on Barovians and Invidians. Gundarakites are such a small population of the two domains that, rightfully, the Gundarakites were covered mostly in terms of how the Barovians and Individians view them. And I really love that Mangrum took the extra page space to construct things like the worship of Erlin and drawing parallels between the Gundarakites and the Neureni, and so am glad he found a way to add to the canon Gundarakite culture, considering the constraints of the project.

But what I would like to see is a real workup of the Gundarakite worldview, how they're dealing with being split across the two domains, trying to keep a unified culture when absorbed by not just one but two cultures, etc. I'd like to see how Gundarakites view the laws between Barovia and Invidia (Barovia with harsh laws aimed just at Gundarakites; Invidia with harsh laws for all, but barely enforced anywhere).

I'd like to know how the rich weaponsmithing tradition from Zeidenburg is handling the Barovian laws stating that a Gundarakite may hold no weapon larger than a dagger, etc.

I'd like to know if there's a Gundarakite diaspora in the face of losing their homeland, and plan on making my own Gundarakite community in Richemulot to represent some of them moving on to stake a new claim rather than brooding on the loss of their fatherland.

Anyway, it's an idea to keep in mind for the future, if anyone's interested in chipping in on such a project later on.
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
And I await the crimson fires
That'll wash this world away!
- Wolfbait, "In My Lonely Time Of Dying"
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

I have a idea that, although difficult to pull off, would turn out very interesting...
A completley fan-made domain, cluster, island or whatever. Maybe vote on a theme and have everyone brainstorm and submit there ideas.
It would either turn out absolutly mind blowing...or absolutly lame, but hey, it would be really sweet to have a domain we could all call our own.