Eternal Order in relation to Azalin

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Eternal Order in relation to Azalin

Post by Archedius »

I have a question that has been bugging me for a while. I know the Eternal Order only holds sway primarily in central Darkon but used to be more prominent in the past. How did the Order, which strikes me as opposed to the undead which to them are denizens of the gray realm, coexist with Azalin whos reputation as a powerful necromancer is well known and evidenced during the Dead Man's Campaign. I can only guess that they took special exception to Azalins minions. Plz enlighten me.
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Eternal Order in relation to Azalin

Post by Mangrum »

He founded the religion, and its clergy served him, directly or indirectly. It primarily existed as a form of societal control, working in parallel to the Kargat (with the ensuring rivalries one would expect).

In short, they coexisted with Azalin's minions because they were Azalin's minions. Remember, they aren't so much about opposing the undead as appeasing them. it's the apocalptic Ezrites centered in nevuchar Springs who actually go out and trash undead crypts.

In a broader, societal context, Azalin's command over the dead is well known, but he is seen (through no small effort on his part) as a bulwark against the forces of the Gray Realm, rather than their master.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Plus, if the Death modules' portrayals are taken into account, it's abundently clear that the Eternal Order's "religion" is -- to put it bluntly -- a scam. The clergy aren't really interested in appeasing the dead; they're interested in intimidating the general populace into filling pews and collection-plates. Not only do they not object to Azalin's exploiting the obedient dead, but they actually do the same thing themselves: standard practice for the EO is to animate some zombies when the masses aren't looking, then prove their power to "keep the dead at bay" by publically rebuking the 'stray' undead and bidding them return to the grave.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow