Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

See the Fraternity of Shadows FAQ. :!:
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

It's worth noting that, by the end of the Arthaus line, we'd -- to varying degrees -- reincorporated those three books into the canon.

As designers, the Kargatane didn't really think much in term of "is this canon or not?" We thought in terms of "this book may be problematic, but what can we still use from it?"
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Even Lord of the Necropolis?!
:twisted:
ChrisNichols
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by ChrisNichols »

Although there are quite a few things from the non-Kargatane 3.0/3.5 Ravenloft book I'd like to make non-canon...

Chris Nichols
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

Jester of the FoS wrote:Even Lord of the Necropolis?!
:twisted:
Yes; primarily characters. Remember, "canon" is nothing but a simpleminded marketing tool and I find treating it as a binary "everything in this book is valid" or "notthing in this book is valid" to be fairly useless.

* Lord of the Necropolis can be interpreted as Azalin's delusional memories after merging with Darkon, when he was unable to separate fact from fantasy or, for that matter, his own thoughts for those of everyone else.

* Elements of The Enemy Within were incorporated into 3E Tristen Hiregaard's background and the depiction of Nova Vaasa.

* Likewise, Desmond LaRouche's background may have changed, but he still made it into Gazetteer V.

"Canon" or "Noncanon" doesn't really apply. Each has elements worth keeping. In 3E, they all happened, sort of, though their depictions may have been inaccurate, from our point of view.

All that said, I'm with Chris. There are some fairly large chunks of 3E I would never acknowledge again if it came to it.
Jester of the FoS

Post by Jester of the FoS »

I know, I'm just being a jerk. Executive privellage.

But since this has come up (and due to your case) the FAQ could be revised to 'lessen' the de-cannonization.

Uncannonizing? Non-cannoning? Cannon-not-ing? Cannoting?

...i need to stop drinking Red Bull...
Archedius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Archedius »

I don't know if you're able to, but I'm terribly interested in what you would remove from 3E Ravenloft if able?
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

Jester of the FoS wrote:Uncannonizing? Non-cannoning? Cannon-not-ing? Cannoting?
I suggest "de-canoning."

And I'll have to agree with JWM. All those that were declared canon seem to fit perfectly well in all 3e products that mention them. :)
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

ChrisNichols wrote:Although there are quite a few things from the non-Kargatane 3.0/3.5 Ravenloft book I'd like to make non-canon...

Chris Nichols
You bet :)

Since I was the first on the old K board to post a "yuck" on unpalatable Sherriff Potato, I know which books to look for these things.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

Archedius wrote:I don't know if you're able to, but I'm terribly interested in what you would remove from 3E Ravenloft if able?
Oh, I think I've gone down that road too often as it is. Basically my personal apocrypha falls into two categories: "Stuff I think is plain awful" and "Stuff I would have done differently." I've made enough noise over the years about the former (it's no mystery what would appear high on this list), and the latter would just be me being a bad sport.
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Pity there isn't an actual authority to 'lay down the law'.

But to me the whole idea of 'canon' is a bit on the obsessive side. The game encourages if not charges you with the need to invent and change, so ensuring that Hazlik's cloak is crimson red and not cherry red is not worth it. I'm sure there are people out there who would like to remove the return of Azalin or Necropolis as well.

Then again with the ending we'll likely never get a proper list for 3rd edition. But in contrast -why would you need one?
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
mistshadow2k4
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by mistshadow2k4 »

Coan wrote:Pity there isn't an actual authority to 'lay down the law'.

But to me the whole idea of 'canon' is a bit on the obsessive side. The game encourages if not charges you with the need to invent and change, so ensuring that Hazlik's cloak is crimson red and not cherry red is not worth it. I'm sure there are people out there who would like to remove the return of Azalin or Necropolis as well.

Then again with the ending we'll likely never get a proper list for 3rd edition. But in contrast -why would you need one?
I completely agree. Canon? They used to say something in one product, totally contradict it in the next product, and then change the "canon" to fit with the second product. They did that all the time. S&S did a bit of revisioning this way too. In that light, Ravenloft's "demise" as a commercial product line isn't a bad thing, as you don't have to worry about some game desinger coming along and revisioning the setting while you still have things the way they were.

The way I feel is that I'm the DM and it's our campaign. Our version of Ravenloft is different in some ways, the same in others. Canon? Who cares?
[i]I have come to accept the surrender of Hell.[/i] —From 101 Witty Paladin Sayings
monty--
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by monty-- »

Yeah, but it's good fun.

I personally love 'official continuity'. I'm very interested when Ravenloft takes the next step. That's why I'm disappointed that I'll never see a 'Time Of Unparralleled Darkness' module. I would have loved that.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I doubt the Time of Unparalleled Darkness would fit into a single module, though a book with campaign ideas might be more suitable. The ideas I had (and still have in note form) are huge to say the least. Once it was through, the place would have been very different, for a start half of it was to disappear or move... Not the easiest of things to plan out, but it was to be Malocchio's fault ;) lol.

Joel, never heard that "Sherriff Potato" one before, lol. It's far politer than some of the names I've given him, though they were to rude to ever post on here :twisted:
Swallow your soul!