Ravenloft and the Storyteller System

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Ravenloft and the Storyteller System

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

Granted that I had to make a few tweaks (removing the Computer and Drive skills, for example), I have twice now experimented with White Wolf's storyteller system for Ravenloft games.

The basic game (NWoD) presupposes that you only use humans, with no exceptional powers of their own. As such, in my games they are the "default" PC's.

Strahd uses the Requiem sheet, the one with the vitae stats and vampiric powers that go along with it. Having no "clan" to speak of, I just selected three "clan" disciplines based on what Ravenloft has to offer (Protean, Dominate, Majesty) and used four others as non-"clan" disciplines (Obfuscate, Vigor, Nightmare and Celerity). Virtue: Fortitude, Vice: Lust. (Darklord abilities are supernatural abilities as well, by the way).

Azalin basically has the stats of a Tremere Lich from Awakening, albeit a very powerful one.

Jacqueline Renier needed tweaking of the Forsaken stats (not being a werewolf to begin with), giving her a mishmash of Rituals.

Etc.

Has anybody else tried it? In some cases it could be okay to use.
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

I am going to run my Souragne campaign under the NWoD rules. :)

I am still absolutely new to the system, so I've no idea of how to handle things, but I'll occassionally post about the newest developments... :)
Garudos Celestar
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Garudos Celestar »

I'm curious about the Storyteller system. I remember several years ago, just after WotC gave up the Ravenloft line, there was an amusing April Fool's joke from the Kargatane that stated that Ravenloft would be revived by White Wolf as a Storyteller game. The problem for me was that, knowing nothing about this system, the joke fell rather flat and my reaction was "Huh? What does that mean?" rather than some kind of strong opinion like I'm sure they intended.

From further comments, I gathered that the system seems similar to the method of character progression used in the old Quest for Glory computer games (i.e. that your actions in the game are treated like "practice" to improve your various skills.) Is this a reasonably accurate metaphor, or is the basic premise completely different?
[i]"I too have begun to wonder about the legendary wisdom of our guardian angel and his pet rock."
~ Evee Beiderbecke[/i]
Hallow
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Hallow »

Garudos Celestar wrote:I'm curious about the Storyteller system. I remember several years ago, just after WotC gave up the Ravenloft line, there was an amusing April Fool's joke from the Kargatane that stated that Ravenloft would be revived by White Wolf as a Storyteller game.
Well, i would have been ahead of the game, due to my 5 dots in cure light wounds.
Just like the Pied Piper
Led rats through the streets
We dance like marionettes
Swaying to the Symphony of Destruction
Le Noir Faineant

I am still unsure of what to do with the *computer* skill... :)
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

The Storyteller system isn't level-based; there's no such thing as "levelling up" at all. Instead, experience points buy an increase in your ability scores. For example, if you have 3 points in the Larceny skill, it'll take you 12 experience points to get the 4th dot.

More madness from me:

I've taken liberties to make Pharaoh Ankhtepot a Sefekhi mummy (using the OWoD rules of the Resurrection).

I don't have Promethean yet, but Adam is a perfect candidate for one of the five kinds of Promethean in the newly-released book.
Le Noir Faineant

Rafael wrote:I am still unsure of what to do with the *computer* skill... :)
My players suggested *ctulhu*... :lol:
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

One of the (I think) positive points of the Storyteller system is that the skills that aren't appropriate could be removed entirely from the campaign. This is what I've done with "Computers," while I've replace "Drive" with the "Ride" skill. :)
Le Noir Faineant

I'll most likely *Computer* with *Knowledge on Technology* and, indeed, *Drive* with *Ride*. :)

I'll keep bringing updates from my campaign from time to time... The FoS also features... :twisted:
doctor-evil
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by doctor-evil »

Rafael wrote:I'll most likely *Computer* with *Knowledge on Technology* and, indeed, *Drive* with *Ride*. :)

I'll keep bringing updates from my campaign from time to time... The FoS also features... :twisted:
In the previous version of the Vampire storyteller system the Vampire/Werewolf-Dark Ages and Vampire-Victorian Era settings would have abilities tweaks that could be substituted. The victorian era supplements have some good background that would be useful for a Red Death campaign.
kalavala
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by kalavala »

Le Noir Faineant

:) Thanks! This converts WoD in an option that I could even use for my usual Fantasy games! :idea: :D
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:I've taken liberties to make Pharaoh Ankhtepot a Sefekhi mummy (using the OWoD rules of the Resurrection).
Missed these... Where were those rules presented? I'm familiar with the Mummy setting under the old rules (back with Vampire The Masquerade and Werewolf The Apocalypse), but I haven't seen any new mummy rules...
Dion of the Fraternity wrote:I don't have Promethean yet, but Adam is a perfect candidate for one of the five kinds of Promethean in the newly-released book.
If you do get it, could you give a review on the other Board? I'm tempted to get it, but haven't heard anything about it one way or the other (or at least, not from anyone whose opinion I can trust).

Also, how are you covering Fear/Horror/Madness checks under the Storyteller system?
My name is lost to me
I know not who I am
And I await the crimson fires
That'll wash this world away!
- Wolfbait, "In My Lonely Time Of Dying"
Le Noir Faineant

Yet another question for Dion, kalavala and the other WoD sages here:

How does one convert D&D monsters, like from Denizens of Dread to WoD? :)

Don't wanna miss my Goblyns and Dread Treeants! :twisted:
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Missed these... Where were those rules presented? I'm familiar with the Mummy setting under the old rules (back with Vampire The Masquerade and Werewolf The Apocalypse), but I haven't seen any new mummy rules...
There are actually no rules yet for Mummies in the NWoD, I just used a self-tweaked version of the old (yet revised) Mummy: the Resurrection rules. :)

How does one convert D&D monsters, like from Denizens of Dread to WoD?
What I usually do is to follow the rules in World of Darkness: Antagonists, the chapter on those wacky monsters (Aswang, Beast of Bethlehem etc.). It's all a matter of tweaking their supernatural abilities. A bit of work, but from past experience (with the Death's Head Tree I converted), it's worth it especiually if you foucs less on the stats and more on the storytelling. :)