This is probably a stupid idea...

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

This is probably a stupid idea...

Post by Hell_Born »

... but recently I've had the idea to base a Ravenloft game of the videogame Resident Evil (specifically, the Remake; it's the only one I own- except for #4, but that's a whole different kettle of unidentified slimy things). I know the idea is stupid, but if people could please suggest how to run this game, what sort of traps/puzzles to use and what sort of creatures to use, I would most appreciate it.
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

"Seek and Locate! Locate and Destroy! Destroy and Rejoice!"
Lord_Pruitt
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Lord_Pruitt »

Well, that would all depend on what kind of setting that the game would take place in.

One idea from the RE games would be a crossbow that fired special bolts. But the bolts are in limited supply and the PCs would have to scavenge all the corpses and buildings in order to find more.

To boil it down to the basics - the PCs have a very limited amount of ammo & supplies (ala 28 Days) that they have to search for, while trying to avoid the undead

Course, instead of zomibes, you could use ghouls
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

I don't think its stupid, but it is a little reversed.
Resident Evil is more like a D&D game brought into modern times. You have that T-virus, for example, to explain monsters, a house to be the dungeon, security devices as traps, ect....

So how were you going to do it?
Mad magician makes mayhem in his mansion?
Evil Reigns!!!!
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: In one of Neil Gaiman's books, or at least I wish I was.

Post by Undead Cabbage »

I haven't played much of them, but a Ravenloft game would maybe do better to resemble the Silent Hill games, as opposed to Resident Evil.

Alternatively, a Morrowind approach would be more ideal (granted, significantly less realistic).
The Wannabe
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by The Wannabe »

On the other hand, you might place a short (or not-so-short) campaign based on RE in the Nightmare Lands. It seems to me that the storyline and actions and environment of the game would be perfect as a "insane world" approach where nothing the character sees can be trusted. And I can definitely see Morpheus (methinks that was his name, the demon with no legs) getting off on a dream subject in an RE situation.

Dreamwannabe
"C'mon guys, let's check it out.....what's the worst that could happen?"
Shadow
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Shadow »

Actually I think that a steampunk domain would be a great idea. Many of Ravenloft's villains already have steampunk elements (e.g. the mechanical golem, the living brain) so why not go full force with a steampunk domain. The only problem that I see is that steampunk is quite a bit more technologically advanced than the renaissance technology of the other domains. Why not make it an island of terror, or a cluster?
In the darkness of night look toward the stars
Hell_Born
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Hell_Born »

Shadow... I believe you have the wrong topic. This is asking on how to base a Ravenloft game around Resident Evil; my questions on a Steampunk Domain are another topic. And it was intended to be an Island of Terror- I'm not stupid enough to try putting something like that in the Core! Moral Machivelli and I have actually been talking to each other via PM on that topic- though does anyone know where he is? We haven't spoken for about three days now.
"Is there any word more meaningless than 'hope'? Besides 'blarfurgsnarg,' of course."

"Seek and Locate! Locate and Destroy! Destroy and Rejoice!"
Shadow
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Shadow »

Ooops! Wrong thread! :oops: (Embarassed smile!) Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...
In the darkness of night look toward the stars