Theka, Bileplate, Moridana - Lost Core Domains

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Lord Cyclohexane wrote:For example, Dorvinia appears, IIRC, around 715. However, all of the domains *bordering* Dorvinia were already present, meaning that there was a random patch of Mists *in*the*middle* of the Core. This doesn't sit well with me.
FWIW, I'd always assumed that when native-born darklords "fled into the Mists", despite being far from one of the existing borders, the Mists had specifically been sent by the Dark Powers to collect them. Why would their method of nabbing a new darklord who's already in Ravenloft be any different from snatching one off the Material Plane? If the DPs are convinced somebody's got the potential to be an interesting darklord, then merely hiding themselves away in the center of the Core shouldn't suffice to protect that villain from getting drafted into the lords' ranks. :?

So there's nothing "random" about such Mist-patches' appearance, IMHO.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Lord Cyclohexane wrote:For example, Dorvinia appears, IIRC, around 715. However, all of the domains *bordering* Dorvinia were already present, meaning that there was a random patch of Mists *in*the*middle* of the Core. This doesn't sit well with me. But what if, previous to Dorvinia's appearance, another domain altogether had been sitting in that spot? The domain would have to disappear before Dorvinia could appear (as Ivan Dilisnya walked into the Mists to create Dorvinia, so that spot has to be empty) but the previous domain could have disappeared only a year before or whatnot.
Well things are not this static, the land is highly malleable and can alter its shape. It did it many times.

In the Dorvinia case, you can imagine the domains around moving to let Dorvinia pop in the middle. There was nothing in this spot before that, or the domains around altered their shape or moved to let Dorvinia in.

So the population living in the area are stunned to find a new neighbour accross the border, but eventually, or after a generation, they forget about it.

It would be very nice to have a dynamic atlas of the core, starting with Barovia in 351, and then moving on with the years and see the domains add themselves around it... Even a power point would be nice :)

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:
Rafael wrote: :) Joel, am I right in guessing that you are already after the authors to persuade them to lend the material to the FoS? :)
Sure if an article is made, the QtR is opened to it :)

Or if it's very big, a separate netbook release for this stuff.

Joël
It would be really cool to see that done! :) Hope Daisu, Lordi and you others keep on this! :)
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

Lord Cyclohexane wrote:But thanks for the ideas already! I do like the idea of linking the name "Moridana" with the story of Velkaarn and his Bloodknife. Last I recall, canon only mentioned the city that Velkaarn controlled but never mentioned a domain name. As such, I found that to be quite good.
The endless quest book mentioned a bit more. The name of the king/kingdom for example: King Milarnus of Maridar. (Though it could also be part of his name or the name of his birth city and not the name of his kingdom)

See this thread here for my transcripts and notes.