La Maison Soulombre: Entrances

Join us for our Halloween celebration
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Nathan of the FoS wrote:"In that work, at least, he held the distinctions commonly made between the various schools of magic to be artificial and ill-considered--I think largely in an attempt to persuade those Fraternity members in his reading audience to overlook his own unorthodox interests. The theory was intended to be universal, not only for arcane but for divine magic, and even the purely mental energies reported in a few biological sports. I believe he moderated his opinions on the subject later, but it caused quite a stir in certain quarters at the time. You might have found some evidence of its influence in the Dementlieuse Ezrans; I was once told that some of them considered it--what was the word?--significant."
“The theory is certainly an interesting one,” Gertrude remarked, considering the seemingly haphazard gift of spells bestowed on sorcerers. Why were wizards and clerics able to share certain spells, but not others? Experts were able to cross a divide that once had been considered insurmountable. Was it due to evolution in thought or magical processes, or to recognition of an illusory obstacle?

The professor smiled at the mention of the Dementlieuse anchorites. “They find significance in the numbers three and five; they can find significance in anything, really.”

She returned to a point that had been quietly introduced. “These 'unorthodox interests' of van Rijn's- were they the same ones then that relate to his present state?”
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Llana wrote:She returned to a point that had been quietly introduced. “These 'unorthodox interests' of van Rijn's- were they the same ones then that relate to his present state?”
"Necromancy?" the Countess says. "No--or, at least, not overtly. He was very careful to avoid anything of that sort. Rather, he insisted, first to last, that the proper way to study the mind was through analysis of gross matter--that Mind is a product of Shadow, rather than the reverse. It is a line of thought which could easily be extended to the black arts, but he used it principally in relationship to alchemical transmutations and purifications and the evocation of energy."
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

The foyer of the plantation-house bustles with newly-arrived members and obsequious servants, but no overtly-visible security guards or other mundane defenders. In any other domain, this is just what the VRS spy would've expected; the Fraternity was rightly confident in the sheer potency of its magics, and would logically favor arcane methods of self-defense, as it had at the Manoir. But in Souragne, as Crow'd been warned on his own previous venture to the bayou-domain, flagrant displays of spell-power were discouraged by more than mere superstition. If the FoS felt at liberty to continue protecting itself magically, even here, such a cavalier attitude on their part would rouse disturbing implications. Have to make a note of th--

The bard's disquieting train of thought is broken off, as a tiresomely-familiar figure steps into his path.

Moral Machivelli wrote:"Ah, Mr. Crow. If you will step this way..."
"Why, yes, very well; thank you for asking! And yourself...?"

The knee-jerk retort to Buchvold's curt greeting (or lack thereof) comes easy, "Brother" Crow's light-toned, chiding quips rising to supplant his own, considerably-more-scathing manner of witticism. The bard puts little true effort into the reply, though: undue earnestness in sarcasm merely registers as contempt, not humor, and diving into his role now would be counterproductive, given what's surely coming next.

Moral Machivelli wrote:Buchvold indecates an empty room to the man. As the bard enters, the illusionist shuts the door.The room appears to be a small study room, unocupied.
Falling into step behind the Borcan -- bit of a surprise, that they'd sent his "ally" to usher him in, but perhaps neither Hazan nor Chateaufaux had been handy -- the bard follows Buchvold into the vacant study. Vacant of visible observers, that is: Crow has no doubts that the room is monitored in some manner, its occupants' doings perhaps even recorded in the same fashion as his own break-in at the Borcan's office had been. As, indeed, every inch of the Maison is likely being monitored.

Crow looks casually round the room as the Borcan claims a seat behind the desk -- Making yourself at home, are you? Fair enough, if feeling in your comfort-zone helps improve your own performance; just don't grow so fond of the role, you forget that you've your own duplicities to hide, wizard! -- then settles into a handy armchair, shedding his case and resting it beside him on the sumptuous carpeting. He does not lounge bonelessly in his seat, despite "Brother" Crow's relaxed habits: again, not too far into his FoS-persona, not -- quite -- yet.

Rather, he looks quizzically and wide-eyed at the Borcan: to the casual observor, the hopeful alertness of a somewhat-inexperienced Brother, as yet unfamiliar with the increased security-measures imposed since the catastrophe at the Manoir. His left hand dips into a pocket and retrieves the remaining loquat, which he peels and takes a bite out of.

(Though outwardly idle, the bard's gaze scrutinizes the Borcan meticulously, discerning no obvious lapses in Buchvold's pose of calm indifference ... no betrayal of covert relief, that he'd been picked to interview Crow, rather than some other ... no telltale indications of how they'd secretly met, not long before, to plan for this day. Indeed, the man has been learning, which is -- for now, at least -- to the VRS spy's own greater advantage.)

Moral Machivelli wrote:"Now, Mr. Crow. You will activate your ring, and then I have some questions for you; in the cause of security."
Raising an eyebrow both within and without -- physically because "Brother Crow'd" not been subjected to any such test at the Manoir, and is a bit surprised to be challenged, thusly, right on the very threshold; mentally because the VRS spy hadn't expected the Frat to assign just one witness to directly administer such a test -- the bard leans forward in his seat, extending his sigil-bearing right hand towards the Borcan.

"What, already? I daresay, things really have tightened up since the Manoir! I suppose it's justified, though; we both saw what happens when procedures grow a tad lax...."

("Brother" Crow slips away, for the nonce, and someone older and more spiteful claims his place in the bard's thoughts: an unseen imposture-within-an-imposture, enacted solely in the mind.)

...as the standards have grown, since I was initiated: just consider this sorry example I'm looking at, for one! I could never quite conceive just how this pretentious know-nothing managed to pass his initation lecture. By bribery, most likely? He was fool enough to select On Arcane Items, and their Residue as his topic! How a trinket-hawking dabbler content to rely on items as a crutch ever expects to rise within our ranks, I'll never know; if I told him once, I told him a thousand times, it's the mind in which true power lies, not the flimsy, ancillary paraphernalia of Shadow....

(The technique was a rare one in the Land of Mists, even rarer than the enchanted items upon which it was employed. Crow'd met very few others, in all his travels, who had fostered such a knack: it was too unreliable for other arcanists' tastes, too lacking in tangible payoff for those of a more-roguish bent. That the Fraternity of Shadows hadn't taken stronger measures to prevent such sidestepping of their identity-check system might well say less about their disdain for the materialistic -- a disdain, which the late Rodrigo Taroyan had shared, and which the bard now psychologically emulates, in an internalized mode of role-assumption lying far beyond persona-crafting or even bodily impersonation -- than about just how few others in his world might have the capacity to achieve what Crow now attempts.)

Nobody had taught him to do this: the bard is sure of that. It isn't a skill that can be 'taught' in the conventional sense, only intuited. Practice helps, but not decisively; he honestly isn't certain it will work now, a fact he's tactfully withheld from the Borcan. But he mustn't trouble himself about that, just now ... mustn't, and needn't, even let it cross his mind that he doesn't have every right in the world to succeed.

Of course he'll succeed! It's HIS ring, after all: earned fair and square by him, ritually attuned to him, forged for no lesser purpose than to obey him! It belongs to him: to Esteemed Brother Rodrigo Taroyan! HIM!!!

...so to the Legions with this self-important tyro and his pretty playthings, and to the Night with those Richemulouise incompetents' belated "security", and to the Mists with the enchanted rubbish this smug popinjay's so enamoured of, because such gimcrackery is only worth keeping if it does WHAT IT'S TOLD WHEN IT'S TOLD, YOU UNDERSTAND THAT?

(The words, when they come, are an afterthought. It's the bard's uncontestable domination -- his ... rather, Rodrigo Taroyan's ... supreme, unshakable, righteous confidence in his own legitimate ownership of the signet, and in the control over its powers which such a proprietary claim entails -- that leaves the viper-circled sigil-ring no choice but to obey the man who, momentarily, had become its master.)

"Cogito ergo creo," the bard's voice murmurs.

And a moment later: "Satisfied, then? I suppose we could converse in the dark, but if you insist on rehearsing that wearisome lecture of yours to me again, as you'd done last November, I might want the light back, so I can read under the table...."

Teeth -- grinning teeth -- crunch audibly into fruit, and the magical darkness vanishes.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Post by Moral Machivelli »

"My appolagies, Mr. Crow" The Borcan scowls, as if he has no real desire to apolagize "But these things are nessecary." The Borcan utterly fails to give away his relief at Crow being able to activate the ring.

"Firstly, what spell did I employ, before our fight against the Wolfweres at La Manoir"

"Secondly, in what town did we meet again, for the first time after La Manoir."

"Also, in the time between October, and the present , did any Fraternty members (Or anyone proclaimng to be a fraternity member) approach you? Did anyone not claiming to be a member approach you on the subject of Fraternity afairs?"

Buchvold does not pause between these questions, giving the firm and quite accurate impression that he wants to stop interviewing this pathetic, insulting ,little fool, and get back to the Meeting.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

The bard swallows his bite of fruit, and grins wider at the Borcan's clear discomfiture at having to apologize. While they've agreed to keep things on a polite level, as befits the Fraternity's internal culture of gentlemanly mannerisms and double-edged compliments, enough witnesses had seen them rub each other the wrong way at the Manoir that their mutual dislike is already well-grounded in others' observations: Crow didn't have to hide his smugness about the taller man's unease.

"Necessary, yes ... but a poor manner of a refreshment to be welcomed with, on a hot day! Please, do continue, so we can both rejoin the festivities; I'm sure there's some lemonade out there waiting for us, to say nothing of stronger drinks." The bard gestures to the door, evidently as eager to be through with this formality as is the illusionist.

So, let's see how vigorously your brethren are grilling arrivals to start with, and just how much they've thought to ask....

Moral Machivelli wrote:"Firstly, what spell did I employ, before our fight against the Wolfweres at La Manoir"
"What spell? Well, let's see...." The bard taps the arm of his chair for a few breaths, brow wrinkled pensively. "Downstairs, you'd used a lot of them: you turned the floor to glass -- same spell you used on the ceiling later, I'm sure you recollect -- and smashed it with those arcane bolts of yours ... and before that, you 'conjured' something fiery that turned out to be figmentary only. And when we initially confronted those wolves-in-servants' clothing, you pitched a second batch of missiles at them whilst invisible, yet remained in that state, even so.

"So I'd assume you're referring to the enhanced, combat-worthy variation of Invisibility ... although, truth be told, I didn't actually see you cast it -- you were chasing me up the stairs, not vice versa, remember? -- so I'll allow it's possible you'd employed a scroll or other item to achieve that same effect.

"Really, sir, it's a bit of a trick question, when you puzzle it out ... or was that part of the question, to recognize it as such? Is this a security-check, or a pop quiz on spontaneous spell-recognition?"

Moral Machivelli wrote:""Secondly, in what town did we meet again, for the first time after La Manoir."
"Where we'd met after the fire, now, that's a straightforward query: it was in Lechberg, of course. You had just come back from the opera, or so I gathered; me, I was in rather a rush at the time, but you were quite insistent that we have a chat, nevertheless." The bard smiles: a grin with a little more teeth in it than strictly necessary, and far less humor than his usual.

Moral Machivelli wrote:"Also, in the time between October, and the present , did any Fraternity members (Or anyone proclaimng to be a fraternity member) approach you? Did anyone not claiming to be a member approach you on the subject of Fraternity afairs?"
"None but yourself approached me ... although I did the approaching in turn, in Nevuchar Springs. Gertrude Kingsley and I happened to meet at the lone hotel there, near the end December, and shared tea and a dash of conversation. I mentiion it only to confirm her account; little was discussed of the present crisis, and we've not spoken since we parted ways that day.

"I looked for him in Chateaufaux at one point, but I've not seen Conrad since the Manoir. Nor have I encountered any other Fraternity members -- or people who said they were members -- apart from yourself or what happened in Nevuchar Springs."

The bard's gaze drops slightly, and he fingers his ruffled shirt's cuffs, as if uncertain about his next words.

"I... don't know how important this is, but it would seem that I just missed an encounter with another Brother, if you're keeping tabs on who's been where, and met whom. I left Nevuchar Springs after meeting Professor Kingsley there, then returned early in January. When I signed the hotel's registry-book, I noticed a familiar name -- 'Draxton Serd' -- just a few lines above mine. But he and whomever he was traveling with had evidently left the area, by the time I signed myself in."

The bard leans back lackadasically -- the ring-test complete, he can settle more fully into character as "Brother Crow", now -- and crosses his weak ankle over his left knee, folding his hands contentedly in his lap.

"So, did I pass the quiz, then...? Really, if I'd known spell-identification would be on it, I'd have done more revision before hitching a lift to the meeting."
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Buchvold notes in his little black notebook Serd's recouring apperance. He takes care not to let it slip to any unsean observers that this action was entierly for show.

"Yes, that is quite satisfactory. Monsieur Lacomte wishes me to introduce you to him, however he is busy at present, so that shall have to be delayed. I'll find you when he rejoins the main gathering."

With that, Buchvold rises, and takes his leave of the room.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

The bard leans his chair back a little, as the Borcan rises to depart, and props his bootheels on the desk just as the door shuts behind his secret ally. He snickers a little, derisively.

"And a most illuminating and pleasant morning to you, too, sir," he quips aloud, interlacing his fingers behind his head and tilting the chair backward as far as safety allows. Crow shuts his eyes and relaxes, face turned toward the ceiling, for several breaths, as if basking in the Maison's threadbare, yet affluent surroundings, and in the muffled clamor of attendees milling about in the hall.

Then he straightens up, tosses the loquat-rind overhand into the study's wastepaper bin, and retrieves the instrument-case from its resting place at his side.

"Bother Buchvold," he remarks aloud. "Bother any wizard who thinks I'll be kept on the sidelines for an errand-boy, again. I've got more cause to want Van Rijn dead than any of them; I'll help them settle the score, even if they don't appreciate my aid now any more than they did then."

And with that, the bard rises to his feet, slips a notebook from his vest pocket, and strides forth into the corridor again, keeping an eye out for any familiar faces amongst the guests, or a program of scheduled lectures he could skim through ... or, for that matter, the aforementioned lemonade.
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Buchvold lingers in the hallway, keeping an eye on Crow, exchanging plesanteries with other members and looking out to see if Lacomte has finished checking guests yet.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

From a door at the end of the room, a man enters the Entrance Hall of the Fraternity Plantation Manor. He is short and thin and wears large embroidered white cotton local clothes, and a large straw hat à la Souragne fashion.

Viktor Hazan holds a book under his arm. He watches for a moment the crowd of scholars in the room, smiling and waving at faces he knows, and say at large “Sorry for being unable to greet you at the door, I had crucial matter to discuss with a friend.”

He removes his hat and people notice his salt-and-pepper hair is kept very short, when people were half-expecting to see his usual hair long, uncombed and flowing in all directions. “You can see we had to adapt to our new home, ha! ha! Mesdames et messieurs, welcome! Or Anparé as they say here”

OOC: Viktor has a true seeing spell activated. All those naughty with something to hide, PM me :)

Last edited by Joël of the FoS on Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Gertrude frowned at the suggested line of thought. “I do agree that certain schools of thought are too quick to dismiss the importance of matter,” she replied. Asceticism and denigration of the flesh were common practices related to religious applications of that line of thought. “But to go to the other extreme is hardly a solution either. What exactly was his rationale for this line of thought?” And why in the world had he stayed in the Fraternity?
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Llana wrote:Gertrude frowned at the suggested line of thought. “I do agree that certain schools of thought are too quick to dismiss the importance of matter,” she replied. Asceticism and denigration of the flesh were common practices related to religious applications of that line of thought. “But to go to the other extreme is hardly a solution either. What exactly was his rationale for this line of thought?” And why in the world had he stayed in the Fraternity?
"As to that, I don't know," the Countess answers, shrugging very slightly. "I am tempted to say it was intended to get attention--contrary opinion always sounds louder in the ears than sweet agreement. But perhaps it was something else."

After a moment's silence, she looks at Gertrude and half-smiles, nodding toward the door. "But I'm afraid duty calls; I must greet a few more of our new arrivals, and then review certain security measures. Above all, we must have no repetition of our last meeting's debacle."

She brings her left hand to her throat and touches her pearl necklace. A moment later Iago opens the door and looks in inquiringly. "More business," von Lovenhorst says, and he nods, stepping in to hold the door. "After you, Professor."
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

“He’s certainly proved himself prone to that tendency,” Gertrude replied, and then smiled at the courteous dismissal. “I quite understand, but I do thank you again for your news.

“A bientot,” she said to the Countess, and stepped out into the lobby once more. There were more people now, and she carefully moved to her right, and quietly sat back to watch the proceedings while looking out for familiar faces. She watched the quiet procedure she’d undergone repeated, and noticed that some of those invited now became those doing the interviews. She wondered what would happen if a fraud were produced, but wasn’t so curious as to actually see it occur.

She looked over when she heard a cheerful voice greeting the crowd at large, and came forward to approach Hazan. She smiled warmly at the Dementlieuse professor, looking dapper as always. She personally preferred the haircut, but she was Zherisian after all. “Don’t tell me that you plan on hiding in the library today?” she asked teasingly, referring to his book.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Llana wrote: She looked over when she heard a cheerful voice greeting the crowd at large, and came forward to approach Hazan. She smiled warmly at the Dementlieuse professor, looking dapper as always. She personally preferred the haircut, but she was Zherisian after all. “Don’t tell me that you plan on hiding in the library today?” she asked teasingly, referring to his book.
"Mrs Kingsley! The other lady of our old fashioned Fraternity!", Hazan said, returning her smile. "How nice to see you here! Well this book is our Souragne report, which a large part of it you are familiar with, I believe?" he said with a wink.

She has something changed, Hazlan felt, what happened to her ? Keeping his smile, he gave a quick casual glace to Laconte, who gave him a quick nod. OK, Gert has been cleared for the first level of security, Hazan thought.

"I will present it to everybody later today. And you? Where have you been since last October?"
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

The bard works his way across (and on) the milling attendees, greeting and gladhanding total strangers with a shameless elan, letting his air of personal magnetism and Every-Encounter-Is-A-Cocktail-Party joie de vivre sweep him onward through the crowd. So densely is the entry hall packed with new arrivals and servants, he fails to spot Professor Kingsley -- Funny, I saw her cabriolet go past ... but of course, she's no doubt observing the proceedings from the sidelines, just as before -- or Conrad, the red-haired wizard from Chateaufaux.

Just as he attains his immediate goal -- a side-table laden with printed programmes of the gathering's scheduled events -- a voice he'd learned to recognize whilst conducting his prep-work on Ste. Ronges' university campus, yet hadn't directly exchanged words with until the Manoir, rings out in welcome from the back of the room. Scooping up three copies of the schedule, and unapologetically remarking "Souveniers" to the servant who's been handing out one to a customer, Crow moves to meet the man whose deep-thinking academician's lack of street-smarts he'd exploited at the Manoir, blagging his way in without a sigil-ring.

To his well-masked pleasure, the bard finds he's not the first to approach Hazan: even as he weaves his way out of the crowd, waving to the man, none other than Kingsley herself steps into view, and beats him to the punch (delightful!) in teasing the diminutive Dementlouise. Eager as a schoolboy to impress them both, yet hesitant to appear so, he allows them to exchange a word or two before butting in:

"My word, 'tis a miracle! That volume you're holding looks as fresh as the day it was printed! I'd've thought every book in the place would yet shed soot on the carpets at a touch, assuming that's one of our salvaged fellow-survivors from October: goodness knows, it took days to wash the smoke-stench out of my own skin." He points joshingly at the book in the Esteemed Brother's hands.

"But seriously, Master Hazan, it's good to see you again, settled into your new environs ... and already 'going native', no less! But of course, you're quite the fisherman, are you not? A silver lining to the gloomy cloud of misfortune, then: I presume your sportsman's inclinations are finding Souragne's wetlands a worthy challenge?"

The bard tips a mock-salute to the Dementlouise Brother, then turns to the Zherisian professor, his ebullience shifting to a calmer, more formal tone.

"And your presence, Professor Kingsley, can be naught but a pleasure -- and an honor -- as well."

He bows deeply -- though not ostentatiously; he's assidiously read up on Zherisian etiquette, since their last encounter -- to the Paridoner, effectively ceding the conversational floor to her.
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote: "Mrs Kingsley! The other lady of our old fashioned Fraternity!", Hazan said, returning her smile. "How nice to see you here! Well this book is our Souragne report, which a large part of it you are familiar with, I believe?" he said with a wink....

"I will present it to everybody later today. And you? Where have you been since last October?"
Gertrude’s eyes danced as she said with a straight face, “I don’t think I’ve ever been called the other woman before…

“Printed and ready in time- what a relief,” she remarked delightedly. “I may be familiar with it but it still won’t prevent my enjoyment of your lecture.”

In answer to his questions, she laughed. “Hither, thither and yon…A brief trip home, then Nevuchar Springs and Port-a-Lucine in pursuit of my studies. And then here…The Ezrans are certain that I shall be an anchorite by year’s end if I keep this up. I am considering taking bets,” she added with some amusement.

She looked over and smiled at the bard’s approach. The professor grew somber at the reference to October, thinking of all the volumes lost, and the fear that had pursued them all these months.

She was able to recover at the mention of fishing, and raised an eyebrow at the idea that it could be considered a sport. She gave a low laugh at the bow, and teasingly chided, “Come now, Crow, I’m neither nobility nor an Esteemed Brother like our Professor Hazan to earn such a fine welcome. But thank you,” she said, making a good-humoured deep curtsey in return. She was elated over the Countess' news, and in friendly company. She had every intention of enjoying her good mood. “When did you arrive in Souragne?”
Last edited by Pamela on Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.