La Maison Soulombre: Entrances

Join us for our Halloween celebration
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Post by Moral Machivelli »

Nathan of the FoS wrote:
Moral Machivelli wrote:
"It was hard in this case, because the story he gave would not have any documentation. (He gave quite a valid reason, but none the less..) However, their was one minor point he mentioned that I was able to verify. He had some knowledge of another members Fraternity publications. Those would not be accessible to any but a Fraternity member. I checked up on the publications in question (They were sent to be reviewed by Esteemed Brother Toyran). The knowledge was utterly accurate.
"No documentation! What was his story, then?" As Buchvold continues Lacomte's surprise and displeasure abate noticeably; he says, mostly to himself, "Well, then. If Esteemed Brother Toyran..."
"Amazing" the find had managed to completely take Buchvold aback. "I believe you are right. I once acquired an extract from Klorr's diary. The handwriting is identical However..." He pauses, as he examines the diagrams on the sheet, it looks like nothing I have previously seen of the man's work. Bares some resemblance to his Tim..."

The Borcan stares, in utter wonder

"Is it possible..." he stutters out "That this is?..."
"Perhaps," Lacomte says, smiling. "There's not enough here to attempt a re-creation on this basis alone--you see the note here in the corner, 3/5, which might indicate diagram 3 of 5, although Brother Vedarrak here thinks it's probably a date."

"Yes," the Falkovnian replies; he is in a far corner pouring himself a whisky on the rocks. "I think it is a scratch page--probably very preliminary. Still of great interest, of course. Anything to drink for you gentlemen?"
"Hmm... oh, whisky for me" Buchvold looks up at the falknovian, lost in thought.

"I am to continue travailing once this meeting is over. I'll keep an eye out for any more of Klorr's notes. Who knows? Perhaps, if there really are four remaining sketches and they can be accumulated, we might be able to reconstruct the original"

"Where was this one found?"
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Moral Machivelli wrote: "Hmm... oh, whisky for me" Buchvold looks up at the falknovian, lost in thought.

"I am to continue travailing once this meeting is over. I'll keep an eye out for any more of Klorr's notes. Who knows? Perhaps, if there really are four remaining sketches and they can be accumulated, we might be able to reconstruct the original."

Vedarrak comes to the table and hands Buchvold a glass of whisky. "Ice?" he asks conversationally, gesturing to his own drink.

Lacomte, meanwhile, nods. "We might, at that. This particular page I found in this book," touching the tome he had taken the paper from. "It was part of a lot sold to the Great Library at public auction--Harrold's Bestiary, second edition, truly horrible woodcuts--no great find in itself, of course. I was able to trace ownership to the collection of...h'm...that Mordentish fellow with all the hair and the odd name..."

"Ladislaw Tam, wasn't it?" Vedarrak says.

"Yes, that's right. Unfortunately his heirs broke up the collection when he died--that must have been twenty years ago now. They could be anywhere, I suppose. I've had no time to do the leg-work in Mordent, and I suppose it would be thankless stuff at this point."
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Llana wrote: "I've also heard that Brother Buchvold is presenting a lecture On Belief, and Arcana towards furthering his own promotion. I'm very intrigued by that..." And the possibility of seeing how well he'll do...

“And yourself? Are there any which have caught your eye?”
The Countess looks slightly taken aback at the name of the Borcan's discussion. "'On Belief and Arcana'?" she repeats. "He must be a singular fellow indeed, to try a trick that bold."

Seeing that Gertrude is momentarily in the dark, the blonde continues, "Our former friend van Rijn published a book titled "Faith and the Arcane" some twenty years ago now. I suppose you might say he was before his time; it's become a subject of increasing interest in the last two years or so--you, Brother Hartly, this Buchvold...I think it can only help your chances with the Shadowcloak, to be at the forefront of a dynamic field of study."
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Nathan of the FoS wrote:
Moral Machivelli wrote: "Hmm... oh, whisky for me" Buchvold looks up at the falknovian, lost in thought.

"I am to continue travailing once this meeting is over. I'll keep an eye out for any more of Klorr's notes. Who knows? Perhaps, if there really are four remaining sketches and they can be accumulated, we might be able to reconstruct the original."

Vedarrak comes to the table and hands Buchvold a glass of whisky. "Ice?" he asks conversationally, gesturing to his own drink.
"No thanks" says Buchvold, but with a slight smile now.
Nathan of the FoS wrote:Lacomte, meanwhile, nods. "We might, at that. This particular page I found in this book," touching the tome he had taken the paper from. "It was part of a lot sold to the Great Library at public auction--Harrold's Bestiary, second edition, truly horrible woodcuts--no great find in itself, of course. I was able to trace ownership to the collection of...h'm...that Mordentish fellow with all the hair and the odd name..."

"Ladislaw Tam, wasn't it?" Vedarrak says.

"Yes, that's right. Unfortunately his heirs broke up the collection when he died--that must have been twenty years ago now. They could be anywhere, I suppose. I've had no time to do the leg-work in Mordent, and I suppose it would be thankless stuff at this point."
"I've no objection to a little legwork" Buchvold takes a gulp from his glass, and continues "Besides, I'm travaling a lot anyway. It's an interesting little diversion from my research, thankless or not."
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Seeing that Gertrude is momentarily in the dark, the blonde continues, "Our former friend van Rijn published a book titled "Faith and the Arcane" some twenty years ago now. I suppose you might say he was before his time; it's become a subject of increasing interest in the last two years or so--you, Brother Hartly, this Buchvold...I think it can only help your chances with the Shadowcloak, to be at the forefront of a dynamic field of study."
Gertrude’s eyebrows raised at the Countess’ mention of van Rijn’s work. “Do you have any idea as to what it is about?” She wondered how easy it would be able to find the work. She had personal doubts as to its wisdom- after all, the man had decided lichdom was a viable alternative. Still, it might provide insights into how his thoughts had evolved towards such a grisly solution to the mortal condition.

Another thought occurred. “Was it written before or after the Great Upheaval?” That cataclysm had certainly caused a major shift in her own personal beliefs. The traitor wasn’t Zherisian, but perhaps the event had somehow affected him personally on the Core.
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

"I've no objection to a little legwork" Buchvold takes a gulp from his glass, and continues "Besides, I'm travaling a lot anyway. It's an interesting little diversion from my research, thankless or not."
"Excellent!" Lacomte replies, returning the sketch to its place and closing the book. "If you'll excuse us, Brother Vedarrak and I have a few more people to greet. By the way," Lacomte says, giving Buchvold another piercing look from his angelic blue eyes as he ushers him to the door, "when this Brother Crow appears, take him aside and verify that he is who he says he is, and find out if he's been approached by persons claiming to be of the Fraternity. And if you could introduce him to me? Thank you."
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Llana wrote: Gertrude’s eyebrows raised at the Countess’ mention of van Rijn’s work. “Do you have any idea as to what it is about?” She wondered how easy it would be able to find the work. She had personal doubts as to its wisdom- after all, the man had decided lichdom was a viable alternative. Still, it might provide insights into how his thoughts had evolved towards such a grisly solution to the mortal condition.

Another thought occurred. “Was it written before or after the Great Upheaval?” That cataclysm had certainly caused a major shift in her own personal beliefs. The traitor wasn’t Zherisian, but perhaps the event had somehow affected him personally on the Core.
The Countess shakes her head briefly. "I read it several years ago--I believe it was written before the Great Upheaval, actually. His thesis was that belief that a thing is, or should be, lies behind virtually every great act, and is the key to achieving domination over the minds of others. Essentially, if one can think and act with sufficient conviction, his beliefs will become truths and his actions successes. Unfortunately, perhaps, he never returned to the subject; my father once told me that van Rijn would be the greatest scholar of the Mists if he could actually concentrate on any one thing."

The Countess falls silent, as if considering her own words, and then continues, as if to herself, "Let us hope he has not found that subject now."
Last edited by Nathan of the FoS on Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Nathan of the FoS wrote:
"Excellent!" Lacomte replies, returning the sketch to its place and closing the book. "If you'll excuse us, Brother Vedarrak and I have a few more people to greet. By the way," Lacomte says, giving Buchvold another piercing look from his angelic blue eyes as he ushers him to the door, "when this Brother Crow appears, take him aside and verify that he is who he says he is, and find out if he's been approached by persons claiming to be of the Fraternity. And if you could introduce him to me? Thank you."
"Certainly" smiles Buchvold as he is ushered out. He immedietly starts watching the enterence, for the emergance of Crow, freely demonstraiting his impatience.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

[OOC: Time for the bard to hold his nose and dive into the piranha-tank, again! But first, since Buchvold's wondering what's been keeping him.... :wink: ]

He could, the bard supposed, have tarried further -- the music in his soul certainly longed to linger -- but intuition assured him that he didn't need to: the Borcan's daily frustration-quota would more than be met, when Crow informed him at which hotel in Port d'Elhour he'd be receiving messages. Buchvold's instructions had been for "Brother Crow" to arrive at nine sharp, allowing the two men to traverse whatever quagmire of identity-checks and tests might await them in tandem. It was already half-past ten now, but given that Souragne (and its coachmen) maintained a far more relaxed, easy-going pace to life than the bustling western Core, the bard doubted if the Borcan could've arrived more than a quarter-hour ago, himself.

Letting the man sweat bullets a little longer would've been amusing, but not if it meant Buchvold's own performance might suffer. And in case the Borcan really had muffed the first move of the game, best to arrive just after he'd done so, while the illusionist's brethren were still confused by his remarks and the contagion of anxiety amongst them could warn Crow to flee in time: another reason the spy'd opted not to adhere too rigorously to the Borcan wizard's marching orders.

(Besides, the cabriolet which had clattered past on La Tristepas near the toll of ten-o-clock had been occupied by none other than Milady Scalpel, Professor Gertrude Kingsley. The letters they'd exchanged since Nevuchar Springs had been delightful, but few, and of necessity limited to pleasantries and discussion of her works; the bard dearly looked forward to meeting -- and dueling...? -- the Zherisian in person again.)

Now, as another coach approached from the north, the bard regretfully lowered the harmonica (by far his best, for this) from his lips, wiped it down carefully with a purple handkerchief, then sheathed it and reached to tousle the tightly-kinked hair of Duchamps' smallest grandchild. The toddler squealed; the rest of the swarm of barefoot younglings giggled. Duchamps' wrinkles deepened as the ancient sharecropper beamed in toothless pleasure at the sound; the old man's roughly-calloused hand extended forward, and both Crow's hands reached to intercept it, enfolding the blind instrumentalist's mahogany fingers in the appreciative clasp which musicians universally understood as one of heartfelt respect, even reverence.

Soon, I'll be hobnobbing with men whose very philosophies I loathe: men, with wealth and power enough to buy or destroy everything Duchamps' family has ever or will ever own, and vanity-enough to believe it's not nearly so much as they deserve. And yet this man, whose soulful harmonies I'd not presume to think I could equal in a lifetime, would deem it insulting if I pressed so much as a copper in his hand! Ah, Monsieur Duchamps, you shame them all, and humble me....

The blind man's fingers squeezed Crow's once, in camaraderie, while his free hand roved up and down the fretboard of his battered instrument, grime-impacted fingertips flowing magnificently along strings as familiar to their touch as ever the venerable guitarist's late wife had been. Behind the oiled paper of the roadside shack's lone window, the bard could sense Duchamps' eldest daughter glaring at him from the kitchen -- he'd brought a pail of jumbalya and seared chicken with him from town "to share", paid as tribute to a maestro who never accepted overt charity, but Lisette still deeply resented the rich foreign blanque's intrusion on her father's privacy -- and the coach, a closed landau which had been ferrying passengers to the Maison Soulombre all morning, was drawing nearer.

The bard gently released Duchamps' hand, and turned to collect his jacket from the porch railing; feeling a tug on his ruffled shirt's fabric, he turned back to the master-player. The blind man's grin widened, as his gray head nodded toward the oncoming carriage's lesiurely clamour, and a calloused thumb pointed to the ill-pruned fruit tree beside the porch. The children giggled in unison again, then broke ranks and scattered from the porch as if on cue, to run shrieking and chasing each other over the weed-tangled yard.

"Romèrsi," Crow murmured softly to his host ... and not solely for Duchamps' hospitality, nor his lessons in Souragnien bent notes, shuffles and glissandi. The bard's work almost invariably took him far, far away from the lives and life-experiences of everyday, mundane, normal humanity. It was far too easy to lose touch with the simple human world he was struggling to protect, given how his missions demanded he focus so exclusively on tactics and objectives; he'd needed to feel ordinary, and free of hostile pressures, before he faced off with the phenomenal, yet again.

But such interludes could not, must not, last. The bard's own world of intrigue was too dangerous; his opposition, too ruthless to respect the boundaries he'd drawn between himself and the vulnerable. He'd only dared reach out to Kingsley, of late -- tentatively, circumspectly, like a smith gingerly testing if a new-forged horseshoe has cooled enough to touch -- because she was already a part of that world, bound up in the Fraternity's troubles by her own instigation.

Now, it was time to join her and Buchvold in that deadly, uncertain world again. Crow slid into his violet jerkin -- beastly hot, and it'd only get worse if he recollected Souragne's weather rightly, but at least it hadn't any sleeves; the inebriated seigneur's son he'd won it off of at poker had been an oaf, not a masochist -- and slung his own guitar-case comfortably across his back, hopped off the porch to avoid using the rickety steps. He paused to pluck a couple of odd fruits -- loquats, he'd heard them called once, or Rokushiman plums; strange, and proof this stifling climate had some fringe benefits, that fruit-trees should bear in April! -- from Duchamps' tree, before trotting to meet the carriage.

Even as he jogged through the riotous crowd of children, waving beseechingly to the coachman, the bard's bearing shifted. The jaunty spring in his step, of last October, returned; quips formed in the back of his mind and lined up, like muskets ready for firing; fingers dipped into a jerkin-pocket and fished out a pen (Buchvold's, naturally), tucked it behind one ear in an "eager-beaver" student's readiness for instant transcription.

The landau slowed, and the bard held up one of the loquats, hooking a thumb to the vehicle's rear. The driver considered for a moment, then nodded; it'd been a long morning, what with all the foreign seigneurs' guests in town, and his was thirsty work. Crow grinned, tossed the fruit to the coachman, then jogged behind the coach for a few paces until he could get a solid-enough grip on the rear storage-boot's edges, and boosted himself up onto the bootlid, one hand clinging to the back of the passenger-seat. The carriage's occupants voiced no complaint; hitching such lifts was commonplace in Souragne -- again, the pace of life was slower and more relaxed here -- and with the landau's collapsible roof up, they couldn't see him, anyway.

Up front, the driver cracked his whip and then set it aside, momentarily, to peel Crow's payment in readiness for a refreshing nibble. In back, the bard settled in, as well as such cramped circumstances allowed, for the short ride to the Maison. Sure, he could've walked there, or hired a coach of his own, but this was more in keeping with his Manoir persona's youthful exuberance and stereotypical "bardish" roguishness.

Once more into the vipers' nest, Crow-my-lad, and their coils tighter and slitherier than ever. Best tread lightly, every step or word placed with care, lest it's your last. Best be convincing, too, in dear "Brother Crow's" every mannerism ... which really could use something else just now, come to think of it....

The driver's whip cracked a second time, and the landau lurched itself to a faster clip. The carriage's frame rocked; the bard's body tipped outward dangerously as his hands gripped tight to stop him falling from his perch, and he let out a devil-may-care "Whoop!" of thrill-seeker's elation, startling and most likely amusing the passengers within.

Ah, yes. That's what his persona'd needed, spot on.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Gertrude listened to the outline of van Rijn’s theory. The overt mention of mental domination was unusual but it was a common unspoken practice in many movements- religious, political and otherwise. The best salesman is the one who can convince his clients that they need his products after all... She nodded at the outline of von Lovenhorst’s opinion but didn’t really agree. van Rijn had been a renaissance man, capable of exploring and understanding many fields at once. This had not been his problem; it had been trying to fit himself into a society which required a focus he was unable to give. If he’d been less concerned about measuring up to their standards… She mentally shrugged. The brilliant were not always wise.

“I’m personally unaware of the ability of the undead to actually be creative or to learn new concepts. I would assume it to be contrary to their nature…” This time she did visibly shrug. “But I would not willing to bet on it. I do think that his animosity towards our society has unfortunately given him an impetus to be more dedicated in his pursuits.”

“Countess, the reference to ‘the Arcane’- was he suggesting a link of the beliefs to the school of enchantment, per se? Or did he possibly think that it had wider applications in the field of magic?” Had the Doomsday Device worked somehow upon such principles?
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Llana wrote:“Countess, the reference to ‘the Arcane’- was he suggesting a link of the beliefs to the school of enchantment, per se? Or did he possibly think that it had wider applications in the field of magic?”
"In that work, at least, he held the distinctions commonly made between the various schools of magic to be artificial and ill-considered--I think largely in an attempt to persuade those Fraternity members in his reading audience to overlook his own unorthodox interests. The theory was intended to be universal, not only for arcane but for divine magic, and even the purely mental energies reported in a few biological sports. I believe he moderated his opinions on the subject later, but it caused quite a stir in certain quarters at the time. You might have found some evidence of its influence in the Dementlieuse Ezrans; I was once told that some of them considered it--what was the word?--significant."
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Rotipher wrote:[OOC: Time for the bard to hold his nose and dive into the piranha-tank, again! But first, since Buchvold's wondering what's been keeping him.... :wink: ]...

Once more into the vipers' nest, Crow-my-lad, and their coils tighter and slitherier than ever. Best tread lightly, every step or word placed with care, lest it's your last. Best be convincing, too, in dear "Brother Crow's" every mannerism ... which really could use something else just now, come to think of it....

The driver's whip cracked a second time, and the landau lurched itself to a faster clip. The carriage's frame rocked; the bard's body tipped outward dangerously as his hands gripped tight to stop him falling from his perch, and he let out a devil-may-care "Whoop!" of thrill-seeker's elation, startling and most likely amusing the passengers within.

Ah, yes. That's what his persona'd needed, spot on.
Buchvold taps his silver hawk headed cane against the wall and wonders what the hell is keeping the bard.

OOC :wink:
Last edited by Moral Machivelli on Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

[OOC: Nag, nag, nag ... no wonder the Borcan and Crow get on each other's nerves so much! :wink: ]

The landau pulls up the drive of the Maison Soulombre, and footmen assigned to cordially shepherd in the new arrivals converge upon its debarking passengers. As they fuss over the emerging riders, the bard slips unobtrusively off the vehicle's rear storage-compartment; he inspects his clothing for road-dust (hardly any, given Souragne's soggy terrain), loosens his guitar-case's strap to a comfortable length for walking about, and runs long fingers through disheveled curls, so they'll appear as if he'd at least tried to look presentable. The VRS spy tips a grateful mock-salute to the accomodating coachman, then heads up the walkway to the entrance, his limp nearly undetectable with the added support of tall Souragnien boots.

Belatedly, a footman notices him, moves to hurry after this additional newcomer, then hesitates, uncertain of the dark-curled hitchhiker's status. Without losing a step, Crow turns on his heel and walks backward for a moment, pats the guitar's case once and shakes his head, points to himself and nods. Recognizing from these gestures that this is a guest, not an entertainer hired for the day, the embarassed servant starts forward again; the bard spins on his heel once more, to face the entryway, and smiles appreciatively at the plantation-house's colorful flora and fine, albeit dilapidated architecture, as he strides inside.

No detectable anxiety from the servants, no overt identity-challenge or security-response provoked by his unorthodox means of arrival. So far, so good.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Draxton looked upon the manor and smiled. It has been sometime since he last saw the place. Six months have passed already. It was time to see what information the others have gathered and what he could learn from this place. His studies have been going well while in Richemulot, but studying the arcane arts, especialy necromancy, was difficult in his homeland.

Dadrag was taking a well deserved rest in a tavern at the neighbohring port town. No need for the witty clever young man to meddle in the Fraternity's affairs yet. Still smiling, Draxton Serd enter the manor, telling a servant to announce his presence to anyone interested.
Last edited by alhoon on Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Rotipher wrote:[OOC: Nag, nag, nag ... no wonder the Borcan and Crow get on each other's nerves so much! :wink: ]

The landau pulls up the drive of the Maison Soulombre, and footmen assigned to cordially shepherd in the new arrivals converge upon its debarking passengers. As they fuss over the emerging riders, the bard slips unobtrusively off the vehicle's rear storage-compartment; he inspects his clothing for road-dust (hardly any, given Souragne's soggy terrain), loosens his guitar-case's strap to a comfortable length for walking about, and runs long fingers through disheveled curls, so they'll appear as if he'd at least tried to look presentable. The VRS spy tips a grateful mock-salute to the accomodating coachman, then heads up the walkway to the entrance, his limp nearly undetectable with the added support of tall Souragnien boots.

Belatedly, a footman notices him, moves to hurry after this additional newcomer, then hesitates, uncertain of the dark-curled hitchhiker's status. Without losing a step, Crow turns on his heel and walks backward for a moment, pats the guitar's case once and shakes his head, points to himself and nods. Recognizing from these gestures that this is a guest, not an entertainer hired for the day, the embarassed servant starts forward again; the bard spins on his heel once more, to face the entryway, and smiles appreciatively at the plantation-house's colorful flora and fine, albeit dilapidated architecture, as he strides inside.

No detectable anxiety from the servants, no overt identity-challenge or security-response provoked by his unorthodox means of arrival. So far, so good.
"Ah, Mr. Crow. If you will step this way..."

Buchvold indecates an empty room to the man. As the bard enters, the illusionist shuts the door.The room appears to be a small study room, unocupied. Buchvold sits down behind a central desk and adresses Crow

"Now, Mr. Crow. You will activate your ring, and then I have some questions for you; in the cause of security."