Care to help make a Gothic Asia netbook?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
ChrisNichols
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by ChrisNichols »

Just spot this thread after a summer of very light computer use.

I've got a set of notes on an Asiatic cluster built around Rokushima and I'Cath. Back in the Gazetteer days, I euthusiastically pitched the idea of those domains being in a cluster for whenever we got to the Gazetteer on them.

Give me some time and I'll hunt up my notes and post them.

Chris Nichols
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

ChrisNichols wrote:Just spot this thread after a summer of very light computer use.

I've got a set of notes on an Asiatic cluster built around Rokushima and I'Cath. Back in the Gazetteer days, I euthusiastically pitched the idea of those domains being in a cluster for whenever we got to the Gazetteer on them.

Chris Nichols
I'll add that I was resistant to the idea back in the day, but now I've started referring in my notes to the Scattered Lotus Archipelago, a Far Eastern cluster that includes Rokushima Taiyoo, I'Cath, and.... a couple of other domains I haven't much thought about, all out in the Poison Sea.

(My reservations back in the day were that if the people of Rokushima had other lands to flee to, they probably would, what with the constant threat of having their entire homeland crumble into the sea. But now I've come around, so long as a treacherous no-man's-land continues to act as an obstacle.)
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

We would love to see your notes!
Though, should you post them here, or should it be a need-to-know sort of basis?
Last edited by Gemathustra on Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
mistshadow2k4
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by mistshadow2k4 »

Gemathustra wrote:We would love to see your notes!
I second that! :)
[i]I have come to accept the surrender of Hell.[/i] —From 101 Witty Paladin Sayings
ChrisNichols
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by ChrisNichols »

Mangrum wrote: I'll add that I was resistant to the idea back in the day, but now I've started referring in my notes to the Scattered Lotus Archipelago, a Far Eastern cluster that includes Rokushima Taiyoo, I'Cath, and.... a couple of other domains I haven't much thought about, all out in the Poison Sea.

(My reservations back in the day were that if the people of Rokushima had other lands to flee to, they probably would, what with the constant threat of having their entire homeland crumble into the sea. But now I've come around, so long as a treacherous no-man's-land continues to act as an obstacle.)
And a toxic monster-infested ocean makes a pretty good treacherous no-man's-land.
:)

Chris Nichols
ChrisNichols
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by ChrisNichols »

ChrisNichols wrote:Just spot this thread after a summer of very light computer use.

Chris Nichols

Chris Nichols
OK, I found some of my notes... not the ones I really wanted on improving Rokushima Taiyoo and some specifics on possible darklords, but at least the general Asiatic cluster notes. Here we go...

The obvious two domains in this cluster are Rokushima Taiyoo and I'Cath. The changes are fairly light to these domains. The domains in this cluster are isolated from each other, with large stretches of dangerous ocean between them.

Rokushima Taiyoo needs some refinement such as cleaning up the silliness of some of the place names and defining the locations and NPCs more. The focus is tightened a bit - instead of throwing *every* facet of Japanese horror and fantasy together in one place, Rokushima would focus on human evils, cruelty and brutality, warfare and class disparity, ninja and yakusa, and also the bonds of family and their dissolution, ancestry and the sins of the past (exemplified by Haki Shinpi). Mostly human horror, with plenty of ghosts and a sprinkling of other monsters.

I'Cath becomes a island in the Poison Sea. It needs to be polished to better reflect Chinese ghost stories and legends, but I'm not terribly familiar with that topic, so it's a blank. A possiblity is that I'Cath actually (or apparently) drifts in the Poison Sea, intercepting unlucky ships.

I'd definitely also add:

The Poison Sea (Dokyuumi) - I split off the Poison Sea (from Rokushima Taiyoo's maps) into a separate domain, much like the Sea of Sorrows and the Nocturnal Sea. In fact, I think every unique ocean should be its own domain. Anyhow, I re-read the description from the Red Box and took it literally. Dokyuumi is a dark and oily sea whose waters are so salinated that they are literally poisonous. Additionally, the Poison Sea is filled with sea monsters; any fish drawn from these waters are not only monstrous and dangerous, but also poisonous (save perhaps for near Rokushima Taiyoo's waterfalls, and even there the fish are ugly, salty-tasting and have to be carefully prepared to eat safely). Further, hundreds of rocky islets dot the waters, making navigation difficult.

The Rokushimans do *not* like sailing the Poison Sea, though the Great Mirror Lake has a long and deep history of seafaring. Their native suspicious of outsiders is exacerbated by suspicion of those who cross the Dokyuumi's waters (who must be in league with the evil sea spirits, in the Rokushimans' eyes). The inhabited islands of the Poison Sea have high cliff faces along their shores instead of beaches, which keeps oceanic horrors from crawling inland to prey on whatever inhabitants they might find.

The darklord of the Poison Sea is a sea serpent called Umibouzu-Ryuu. Somewhere there's a set of notes on its back story, but I haven't found them yet (I suspect they're in a box in my garage from the last time I moved).

After this, my suggestions are a lot vaguer. Here's some basic concepts:

Monastery Domain - A very small domain composed of a monastery for a sect of warrior-philosopher monks in the vein of the Shaolin monks. Once famous for both its martial teachings and its benevolent philosphical teachings, the monastery is now empty save for the darklord, once a monk of the temple who traded away his humanity and the teachings of his masters for mastery of the martial path.

Ghost Mines Domain - Based on Hashima Island (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashima_Island) near Nagasaki, this small island was the site of highly productive coal mines. Due to the small size of the island, the miners ghetto was built directly on top of the mines in incredibly cramped and squalid conditions. Governed by cruel imperial overseers, the mines had a massive casualty rate until the mismanagement of the mines lead to a catastrope that killed most of the population and drew the island into Ravenloft. Now the ruins are populated by ghosts that continue the work they did in life, still driven by the spectres of their taskmasters.

The darklord is a caller in darkness composed of the commanders of the mining colony who were responsable for the disaster.

Hyakki Yako Domain - Inspired by the Hyakki Yako (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyakki_Yak%C5%8D), this domain represents the more fantastic side of Japanese horror. Here, rather than the Sengoku peroid warfare of Rokushima Taiyoo, we have a stronger imperial government. But the real power is the yokai, the bakemono, the oni, the array of spirits, ghosts, and monsters that haunt this domain. The yokai of this domain grip the domain in as much fear as the most timorous Barovian peasant. Offerings and sacrifices to appease the yokai are frequent and often onerous; particularly bold yokai occasionally act as bandits. And some nights, hundreds of yokai gather to parade, striding or flying under the moon, unafraid of mankind.

The darklord is the yokai's king (or queen) - it's pretty much a big blank slate at the moment.

Beyond the yokai, though, another terror afflicts this domain - a living darkness, a pale hatred, an inexplicable horror. Seemingly at random, places and people become afflicted, becoming antithetical to life, both human and yokai. Reality warps, inexplicable horrors occur, shadows darken and crawl like living things.

The towns of this domain are small farming villages. Even the capital is surprisingly rustic. Temples and shrines are everywhere.

Themes of this domain are the Hyakki Yako tales and other classic Japanese ghost stories, fused with modern J-Horror like The Ring, the Grudge, Uzumaki, and others. This domain might be seen as have some influences from the Shadow Rift. This domain would probably be somewhat larger than Rokushima Taiyoo (RT is fairly small), but widely separated enough that, should Rokushima ever sink, it will prove difficult to reach this safe harbor.

Yellow Peril Domain - Based in pulp horror Oriental themes and real Chinese history, this is the largest domain of the cluster. Before being drawn into Ravenloft, this domain was *much* larger. The Mists border part of this domain, so it is unclear if this domain is merely the largest island in the archipeligo of the domain or is actually part of a "mainland." The larger size gives this domain more variety of terrain that the smaller islands, with drier grasslands that rise into mountains, once one is beyond the coastal plain.

One unusual feature is that a long fortified wall runs along the section of this domain where it touches the Mists. Similar to Darkon's Mistlands, the Mists wash against this feature like a tide, sometimes washing over the wall and at others, retreating a considerable distance, revealing unremarkable fields and hillsides.

The domain has several cities, which are invariably large, crowded, and dirty. The center of culture is the Imperial City, home to the emperor's extensive family and even more extensive court. These individuals live decadently, indulging in exotic pleasures and making byzantine plots to gain power and prestige. The ultimate goal, of course, is to become the heir that suceeds the emperor - either by appointment by the current emperor when he steps down (unlikely) or upon the emperor's death by natural causes or assassination.

The emperor himself is ancient, powerful, cruel, and brilliant, in the finest Fu Manchu tradition. He has dozens of wives and concubines, and even more descendants. Beyond this, its pretty open - whether he is a warrior or a mage, his history, and his crimes are undetailed. His curse is clear - he will never have an heir that satisfies him, no matter how long he lives or how many he sires.

That's all of the material I've found thus far. There's a lot of vagueness and some are just ideas, but it should be good enough to look at and get ideas from.

Chris Nichols
mistshadow2k4
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by mistshadow2k4 »

Thanks, Chris! Several things to think about there. I like the new domains too. :D
[i]I have come to accept the surrender of Hell.[/i] —From 101 Witty Paladin Sayings
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Is anything else going to come of this, Cause I really liked what I read here. The only thing I'd like to know more about wouldbe border closings. What happens to someone trying to cross the closed borders of any of these domains?
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Just my 0.02 gold pieces.

The ideas sound great. But the name "Yellow Peril" domain is questionable insofar as it does come from a racial slur in the late 1800s. For more information on this, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_peril , bearing in mind it is Wikipedia (i.e. take some salt with you). As an analogy, consider the equivalent slur for black people and the care you might exercise in using that term.

This is not to detract from any of the great ideas you all have brought up. Just wanted to raise a flag before anything gets finalized with the Frat's stamp on it. There are plenty of other domain names that posters here have generated - and they're all good stuff too.
catlord
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by catlord »

When and where is this set to come out? I'm really excited.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

Where?

At a Ravenloft-based fansite NEAR YOU! :)

When?

Erm... Hallowe'en 2006, was the last deadline. Of course we're all hard at work on it... :(

But seriously it might end up like a .pdf of our various thoughts and inputs. There was talk of getting Elliott20 (Hua Kui, in commonday nicknames) to do the artwork for it. Also, I had vague intents of writing up more Chinese-based material...

And then real life (and a law degree) interfered. Curse you, real life! You've brought me nothing but pain, inconvenience, and also bills.
catlord
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by catlord »

.pdf form is cool.
elliott20
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by elliott20 »

hey, what happened to this thread?

It's true, while I've been working on some of illustration works for this stuff, I don't really have any solid idea as to what is needed. (Which ultimately prevents me from carrying a piece of work from the sketch book into it's finished, polished form.)

I need to buy one of those touch pads for drawing on a comp... Say, HMB, got any extra cash lying around that you can donate to that cause?
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

elliott20 wrote:hey, what happened to this thread?
People are all working far too hard on making wonderful new entries to the Gothic Asia netbook to spend time posting.
elliott20 wrote:I need to buy one of those touch pads for drawing on a comp...
Yes, you do.
elliott20 wrote:Say, HMB, got any extra cash lying around that you can donate to that cause?
No, I don't.
elliott20
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by elliott20 »

*enters Panda-Fury (TM)*

*floats across floor*

*shun goku-satsu*