Good books ABOUT Gothic literature

Books, movies, television and everything else
Tertius Bellamont
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Tertius Bellamont »

P.S. The thought of The Castle of Otranto as its own domain... that could be very fun, being really quite different from how the genre developed...

Although I still reckon Ambrosio from The Monk never really died... the mists just carried him away
Now this is most interesting...
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Thank you! :)

I already know that book about gothic and feminism - indeed, it's useful for my topic, since I found out so far that one reason why gothic fiction wasn't popular in Spain was that the picture of the female protagonists was felt uncomfortable by the upholders of the moral... :roll: :wink:

As to CoO, wasn't there a similar thread some time ago? :) Maybe that would help ypu to flesh the idea out a bit more...
Tertius Bellamont
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Tertius Bellamont »

Makes you despair sometimes doesn't it?! I mean, could you get a woman more rediculously moral and full of "proper, ladylike" inertia than, say... Emily St Aubert?

I'm curious, what did the Spanish think about the fact that so much of the literature was set in their country? I wonder if anyone translated The Monk for them... not exactly PC is it?

Hmmm... can't find the thread you speak of, but will continue to plot new domains... a shame that the deadline for QtR 13 has passed actually... bother me only finding this site a few days ago!
Now this is most interesting...
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Tertius Bellamont wrote:Makes you despair sometimes doesn't it?! I mean, could you get a woman more rediculously moral and full of "proper, ladylike" inertia than, say... Emily St Aubert?
Uh - oh, Mysteries of Udolpho, isn't it? - The problem might have that most of the female Gothic characters are - apparently - emancipated beings, and that was seen as something intolerable by the complex Spanish code of social behaviour and moral... Radcliffe indeed is very important because of her "A Sicilian Romance" and "The Italian". - How dull must this have seemed to a southlander... :)
Tertius Bellamont wrote: I'm curious, what did the Spanish think about the fact that so much of the literature was set in their country? I wonder if anyone translated The Monk for them... not exactly PC is it?!
That is indeed the point I am going after - I cannot think that all the SPanish exile writers that lived in Britain in the early 19th century didn't receive Gothic literature - that after all, was often set in their homelands - in some way. - Yet, in Spanish literary history, there is no work of Gothic fiction of rank... And this problem is exactly what I want to investigate...
Tertius Bellamont wrote: Hmmm... can't find the thread you speak of, but will continue to plot new domains... a shame that the deadline for QtR 13 has passed actually... bother me only finding this site a few days ago!
Sounds promising... But so you already have somethinf at hand for QtR 14...

:)
Panurg
Conspirator
Conspirator

Re: Good books ABOUT Gothic literature

Post by Panurg »

Not sure if those exists in english but I guess the name should be easily found in any university library search system if it exists.

They are in german. First one specifically about Lovecraft, second about the aesthetics of gothic horror in general:
- Rottensteiner, Franz [Hg.]: H.P. Lovecrafts kosmisches Grauen, Suhrkamp, Frankfurt 1997.
- Brittnacher, Hans Richard: Ästhetik des Horrors, Suhrkamp, Frankfurt 1994.