How to Re-energize Gothic Eath

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
William Blackmoor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by William Blackmoor »

Don't know if it would've to be the GE-Version of the Frat. Maybe one of the established cabals? 8)
The Gem of Amara...
Official sponsor, of my killing you.
Blake_Alexander
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Blake_Alexander »

Perhaps a netbook similar to the "Forgotten Children" that was put out by the SoK back in 2nd edition, or if we were to look at a more extensive project a series of intertwining adventures/senarios that help a DM move the players deeper into the plot...Perhaps something similar to what the publishes of Dungeon have been doing recently in their magazine with one adventure a month being a continuing plot, just with a gothic theme instead of a fantasy theme. In this form, inventive people involved with the project culd develope new feats, Prestige Classes, and variant classes as "side bars" in the adventure...thus those of us with time restraints could continue to contribute ideas that were less than a full article, but still have a positive inpact on the game.
Blake_Alexander
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

If we attempted something like the adventure/senario series that I posted about, it might prove interesting to have side note variations on the senario so that it can be placed in various places (such as, if this adventure is set in New York City this encoutner would happen near location "x", however, if you are running you group in Paris the following location would be suitable). If each adventure had four or five alternate locations for the adventure to be based one on each on a different continent or section of a contenent, then it would made an otherwise generic adventure into a very specific senario, with the flexability of a genric senerio.
Blake_Alexander
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Another possbility might be to have a series of articles on Lords, Demilords, Overlords, and Renegades...each article detailing one specific being, his/her contact, minions, and possible his/her lair if he/she has one. Thus would be similar to the variant of the Frogotten Children SoK book that I mentioned earlier, but it would be focused on a single Lord.

Another variant on this might include known enemies as well, including local qabals that the Lord has crossed paths with.
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

And what about resuming the Poe-Netbook we started some time ago, but then abandoned? :)
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

You know, I think I am a little partial to the Gaz theory.
I think I would like to see a major city like London, Paris or New York completely fleshed out - rather than a hundred little blurbs anbout a hundred cities.

in running a game, its daunting for DM and players to think of themselves in a big city, when the DM has to imagine every single place.
Its better for the players to have their own bit of information, so that they can make the calls.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Band2
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Band2 »

I think there are a lot of different ways to approach this, both big and small.

The fan net book is certainly a good way to go. Of the ideas I have here so far, I like the NPC book or the adventure string.
Also it would be great if the Living Death adventures could be made available, but I don’t know if that is something anyone here has the power to influence.

But I also think there are some smaller ways we can do it. What about the campaign journals. There are more than a dozen campaign journals up on this site but only one of them is from Gothic Earth. Anyone out there running a GE game could certainly steal any ideas offered in your campaign journals. So if you have some send it in.
What about on-line supplements for Gothic Earth for all of the 3rd Edition Ravenloft accessories. A how to use Guide to the Walking Dead for Gothic Earth. Example shadow fey and where they come from on Gothic Earth. Dark Tales and Disturbing Legends fitted into the history of Gothic Earth. Some would be harder than others, such as the Gazetteers. Maybe some of the dread possibilities could be adapted for GE.

Just some random suggestions.
Only two things scare me and one is former back-up dancers for Christina Aguilera.
Jennifer
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Jennifer »

Hi all,
I too would really like a new impulse to be given to the Gothic Earth setting. I DMed there once and I really liked it. The results of that game can be found in the Smoking room. I led my party to Southern Africa and they became mixed up in the fall of the South African Republic and events leading up to the Second Boer War. Werelions were involved as well.

I think that the problem with the Gothic Earth setting is mainly that people are a bit intimidated by the fact that it takes place in the real world and that the adventure should therefore adhere to history, which makes research obligatory and a lot of work. I know I had those fear, especially since I tend to play with very vocal history buffs.

But fear not:
1: This is not so much of a problem if you play with polite people who recognize the fact that the DM tells the story. (I know it IS hard to find polite people these days)
2: For my South Africa campaign the Wikipedia was a very good resource, lots of historical information for me to adapt to my story.

But all this does not answer the question of this thread, how to revitalize the GE setting.
I think we should spend some time in descibing locales on GE and possible adventure hooks. There used to be a GE section to all the BOS- netbooks, which were very good and very helpful. A Gaz would be a very good idea.

I also think that people who played in the GE setting should tell all about here on the forums and in the smoking room. I always find the sharing of experiences in roleplaying very stimulating.

Jennifer
Pandion
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Pandion »

I just dont think MotRD is more than a niche in the RPing market. The Victorian setting does hold it back for alot of people and that just cant be helped. I'm writing this as a HUGE fan of the 1800s setting though but my nerdiness doesnt translate to most others :)

My best sourcebook for MotRD is not from the setting itself but from vampire:the masquerade. The Victorian Sourcebook is jusy wonderful for two reasons: it goes into detail about secret societies, and it describes what a gothic plot is in the Victorian fashion. I think if people are given the tools to develop 1800s-era adventures then those that are into the setting and game will stick with it. Again my nerdiness shines through but one of the coolest things about using the 1890s as a backdrop is that people like HH Holmes and groups like the Theosophist Society really did exist back then and the DM can draw a connection to the campaign today.
Le Noir Faineant

:evil: What?! A VAMPIRE player here at the maison? ARRGH!

:lucas:

*Plunges at Pandion*

[Hello, welcome to the boards! :) ]
Pandion
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Pandion »

Oh please let me explain. I'm not a player...merely a pilferer of vampire sourcebooks. Knowing thy enemy and all that. :wink:
Le Noir Faineant

Then you are parIdoned. (Sorry, had to bring this awful pun at least twice.)

I also used some of the WoD DA stuff for my games - the usual WoD vampires make excellent villains!
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

Pandion wrote:My best sourcebook for MotRD is not from the setting itself but from vampire:the masquerade. The Victorian Sourcebook is jusy wonderful for two reasons: it goes into detail about secret societies, and it describes what a gothic plot is in the Victorian fashion.
Funny, I was about to refer to the exact same book! :)
Le Noir Faineant

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:
Pandion wrote:My best sourcebook for MotRD is not from the setting itself but from vampire:the masquerade. The Victorian Sourcebook is jusy wonderful for two reasons: it goes into detail about secret societies, and it describes what a gothic plot is in the Victorian fashion.
Funny, I was about to refer to the exact same book! :)
I still protest that. *Hides Gangrel character sheets*
Band2
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Band2 »

Band2 wrote:
But I also think there are some smaller ways we can do it. What about the campaign journals. There are more than a dozen campaign journals up on this site but only one of them is from Gothic Earth. Anyone out there running a GE game could certainly steal any ideas offered in your campaign journals. So if you have some send it in.
Ok since I suggested it, I decided to start writing a GE campaign journal. Unfortunately I don't currently have a Gothic Earth campaign running, so I thought I would write about the one I DMed a few years ago. I don't think there is much about it that is original as most of it is based on published adventures. But hopefully it will at least inspire some more discussion of Gothic Earth.

That being said, I don't know how these journals work on this site. Do I start posting it here on the Gothic Earth board? Or is there place in another of the boards on the Fraternity site? I am familiar with the En world Story hour campaigns and do not know if it works the same here or not. If anyone does not object I'll start a new thread here in the Gothic Earth Board to post it on in the next day or so. Look for it to be called The Diary of Dr. Hoffman.
Only two things scare me and one is former back-up dancers for Christina Aguilera.