Bringers of Death: The Zal'honans!

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Bringers of Death: The Zal'honans!

Post by Spiteful Crow »

How many surviving Azalin clones are there?
William Blackmoor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by William Blackmoor »

I don't think that there are official ones, but IMC I placed one in Martira Bay. A Mage named Lucian who lives with his daughter Rabea. Azalin, although quite impressed with his magical powers didn't chose him to become his testsubject for doomsday device, because he was to "soft" ( he is good aligned and cares about his daughter, in other words he's what azalin could 've been).
The Gem of Amara...
Official sponsor, of my killing you.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

My theory is that S is also a clone, but ...

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jonathan Winters »

I really don't know (or forget) where this comes from, but could someone enlighten me about this clone story of Azalin's?

AND, just how could S be a clone of Azalin since they are not the same gender?

Why do I feel silly asking such questions?

Patrick
Joël of the FoS

Well don't ask me, ask Azalin !

When he made his wish to make those woman pregnant with his clone (one of them being Lowellyn, a "he"), it isn't said that all clones were male (if it was made early in the pregancy, we cannot know, heck, how do I know?) :)

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

And most of the clones either died at birth (along with their mothers) or were hideously twisted creatures. Only a handful came out "normal" like Dachine. The idea of one coming out fairly normal, but as a woman isn't that far outside the realm of possibility.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

All fetuses start out female untill the change over to male so it wouln't be out of place for one clone not to 'take' fully and stay female.
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

Jonathan Winters wrote:I really don't know (or forget) where this comes from, but could someone enlighten me about this clone story of Azalin's?
It's from the "The Grim Harvest" adventures (Death Unchained, Death Ascendant, Requiem's Death Triumphant) which ended with Azalin's failed attempt at demilichdom and the nuked city of Il Aluk becoming Necropolis. They presented the idea of Azalin, trying to work around his curse, seeding clones of himself in numerous Darkonian women, hoping that as the clones learned magic that he'd be able to rip those memories from them and add them to his own, thus circumventing the curse that prevented him from learning new magic. This plan either failed completely or Azalin overlooked the one clone that it would have worked with.

One of those clones, Dachine, who gained Azalin's ambition but not his magic, was picked to test the Infernal Engine after proving himself highly in the Kargat. Dachine proved the concept by changing from lowly human into the negative-energy elemental, Death. It only cost his sanity...
Last edited by Lord Cyclohexane on Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Cyclohexane
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Different Zal'Honan Family Question

Post by Lord Cyclohexane »

While we've got a conversation about the Zal'Honan family anyway, let me ask mine: In the RPHB, Azalin swears that he will have his son Irik back. My question: don't all resurrection-type spells require the corpse (or some portion of) to work, and since Azalin is currently wearing Irik's body, how is that supposed to work at all?

And on top of that, when a lich takes a new body, that corpse slowly changes appearance until it matches that of the lich's old body. Meaning the Irik's corpse has become Azalin's corpse, so there is no "Irik corpse" with which to resurrect Irik. So how does Azalin plan to succeed?
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Even when Azalin had resurrection spells, they wouldn't have worked. The recipient soul has to want to return to life. Irik doesn't.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Spiteful Crow »

So it's Irik's fault his poor dad has so much stress! :shock:

And aren't higher level spells (wish, true resurrection, etc...) capable of bringing someone back to life without their corpse?
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Spiteful Crow wrote:So it's Irik's fault his poor dad has so much stress! :shock:

And aren't higher level spells (wish, true resurrection, etc...) capable of bringing someone back to life without their corpse?
Sure! But they require the soul to be willing, just like all the others.

Azalin wants Irik back to gain redemption (for both of them). He wants to mold the boy into the kind of strong ruler that he is, instead of the kind-hearted "failure" Irik became.

Irik, on the other hand, keeps telling Azalin to forgive himself and to let him pass on. He doesn't want to return to life. He lived it the way he saw fit and feels no ill will towards his father.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:My theory is that S is also a clone, but ...

Joël
I think Ryan told that too. So it is not a theory...
Jonathan Winters wrote: AND, just how could S be a clone of Azalin since they are not the same gender?

Why do I feel silly asking such questions?
You are not silly. Not knowing something doesn't make you silly.
Most of Azalin clones had come out hideous monsters as Tobias said. So there weren't clones with in a technical way.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Joël of the FoS

alhoon wrote: I think Ryan told that too. So it is not a theory...
I've revised the notes I have on S and didn't see this? Can you point the source?

I think he hinted it in "She is the illegitimate daughter of a Darkonese nobleman (erm, that is, the people who raised her are Darkonese nobles--so who is her real father? Go on, it's not that hard)."

Joël
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

I still think a write-up of the clones would've been one of the high points in a "Legacies II" book, had one ever been published. It'd be chock full of calibans at the very least, which is something we haven't seen yet, and the nature of the clone's surrogate family would influence his (S is likely a unique case of transgender "calibanhood") development and psychology.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow