Invincible Darklords...

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Do also remember that with those darklords who can only be killed in a specific manner, the aforementioned specific manner is spelled out for us, i.e., destroying Hazlik's amulet, reuniting Tristessa with her baby, laying Romir to rest, slaughtering all of the dire wolves in Kartakass.
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scarycount »

I see we simply have differing veiws on this, and will have to let this debate die.
Getting off Easan for a moment, is there any certain way in wich Hazlik's amulet must be destroyed, or will it do just to smash it?
Luke Fleeman
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Luke Fleeman »

Scarycount wrote:I see we simply have differing veiws on this, and will have to let this debate die.
That doesn't seem real productive. The point of a debate is to make differign points of view known- and ending one only stifles discussion.

I say, debate on and if you reach an impasse after some time, then discuss stopping. But this is just getting good...
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you - Friedrich Nietzsche
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

I would think that if there was a permanent way of permanently killing Easan, the writers would have said so, or gave us a big hint besides the prophecy mentioned in 2nd Edition among the Vechorians about a knight who will stride forth from the Mists to dethrone Easan, and usher in a far more terrible era of pain and suffering.

ANYHOW

Provided you don't touch Hazlik's amulet, the best way to destroy it is to bury it in a 30-foot deep hole with concrete and boulders.
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scarycount »

A knight eh? Perhaps a vampiric knight which could drain all his blood (thus lower his constitiution to zero) and become the new draklord?
Come to think of it, I don't remember anything about Easan being immune to engergy drain, so a vampire could kill him with a few good slams. Easan's ability may be imply that he simply can't be killed, but take Strahds contingengy. Is it considered exploiting a loophole if you hold him with a stake till sun-up, after having cast dispel magic on him (embellished with plenty of dramatic roleplying of course)? I like to think of it this way. If my PCs try again and again to kill Easan, only to fail, but keep faith that there is a way he can be deafeated, and eventually find the way that works, they will feel immensely rewarded for their efforts. The RLDMG describes a situation in which the PCs find a ghost, and through detective work, discover it can only be killed through Arsaic Poison (I knoww I spelled that wrong). Magnify the situation to an entire domain, rather than just a village, and you have easan. He is almost indestructable, but not quite. Capitan Kirk didn't give up when he was up against a man who had become a god, and the PCs shouldn't give up when facing Easan.
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

The knight in the prophecy probably refers to a one ex-ranger-turned-mechanical golem, Ahmi Vanjuko that Easan created on a whim, who then demolished Easan's estate as a way of saying "thank you."

That, and Vechor strikes me as being one of the few vampire-unfriendly domains. I'm not telling you that you or your PCs should abandon all hope of defeating Easan. I'm trying to tell you that the key to defeating Easan is NOT IN COMBAT. I strongly doubt a vampiric knight would last long against someone who can turn night to day on a whim.

Easan the Mad is, for all intents and purposes, a cartoon character, and everyone should know that it's impossible to kill something that can shrug off anvils to the head with physical violence. When trying to kill a cartoon, go for its greatest weaknesses, its ego and its sensibilities. A cartoon character may be cute, spontaenous and invulnerable, but he'd sooner get hit by a train than purposely go out of character or deviate from his plans.

Do also remember that *coughcoughcoughIuzTheOldcoughcoughcough* placed a demon into Easan's mind. The whole mess that Easan is in began because he tried to exorcize the demon trapped in his head. Now, though, he's forgotten why he's doing what he's doing.
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scarycount »

Perhaps Vechor is vampire-unfirendly because Easan knows that vampires are one of the few things that can kill him. After all, Strahd saw to it that all copies of Van Richtens books inBarovia were destroyed. I'm sure Easan is doing all he can to stop vampires from existing. He could cause the sun to shine longer, but that couldn't do much against a Nosferatu. If you mean atmospherically unfriendly, from what I understand Vechor is based on Greece, and anyone who's seen "Isle of the Dead" will tell you that vampires are in no way unfrienly tword greece. Actually, now that I think of it a better idea might be to have an ancient dead infect him with mummy rot. Ancient dead just seem to fit better with knights than vampires for some reason.
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Did you not remember that Nosferatu CAN NOT USE THEIR SUPERNATURAL POWERS IN DAYLIGHT?

Also, are you saying that you let your PCs be undead in Ravenloft?
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Igor the Henchman »

Steve Miller wrote:Who caused the "strange cataclysm" that wiped out the clerics trying to help him?
According to Secrets of the Dread Realms, Iuz did.
Scarycount
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scarycount »

The PCs could seek out a vampires assistance. How could they get it? I have no idea, I will give this more thought shoud I ever use Easan. More likely I will use an ancient dead, as they can use their powers in sunlight.

P.S. Thank you for pointing that out, I had forgotten that engergy drain was a supernatual ability.