Timor Gazetteer

Coordinating community projects
Pacal
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pacal »

Well it's been a while since I posted anything and I missed the beggining of this thread. I did try and read over the whole thing. Many years ago, when Islands of Terror was first released, I ran an adventure in Timor. Unfortunately I don't remember much of it other than spending hours drawing an extensive maze-like map and laughing as my player's tried to keep their own map. Anyways, it was basically a dungeon crawl with minimal Ravenloft flavor. But I always did like Timor and the Zherisia Cluster once Timor and Paridon merged. I guess it took a while to arrive there but here is my idea. Although it has been suggested that only unintelligent creatures are permitted to survive in Timor, it was also brought up that the old city of Timor had powerful mages. My idea is kind of like a dread possibility of the old pre-Ravenloft Timor. One of those wizards in old Timor was secretly a lich. He manipulated other nobility and lesser mages while plotting and practicing his magic. The transformation to the Zherisia cluster left him trapped underground facing waves of marikith as the Hive Queen attempted to eliminate him. Eventually he was able to retreat and set up a semi-secure lair. Sorry in advance for splitting this into two posts but I have to switch computers (I'm at school).
Pacal
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pacal »

Ok. Sorry again about that. There are still many problems with my idea, I just thought of it as I was reading the other posts.
  • I remembered a section in the Forgotten Realms Underdark book on liches setting up lairs in the underdark (called dooms I believe). Since Timor does seem to have a bit of underdark flavor to it I thought this could be an interesting addition.
  • I don't envision him being to powerful. The minimum spellcaster level required to become a lich is 11th. My thought was 12th level wizards but certainly no higher than 13th.
  • I don't envision him there as simply one more encounter for dungeon delving adventurers. He has his own background (although I haven't made it up yet) and is a native of Timor. I thought of the lich and his lair as more of a surprise encounter for PC's. Imagine their surprise when after facing all the fear and danger of the sewer they stumble into a safe area that turns out to be a lich's lair. Given his dislike of the Hive Queen he may treat them hospitably plus he is hungry for news of the outside world. He also isn't the arch-enemy of the Hive Queen.
  • Obviously there are still problems. Why would he stay in Timor? Maybe he feels tied to his homeland in some perverted way. What is his backstory? Etc.
I created him not to be an archvillain for the heroes or a high level encounter for a dungeon crawl but to be a piece of Timor's history. He remember's things about old Timor which are otherwise lost to time. Although evil, the PC's could end up working with him. I know it needs work but what do you think? He could be used in the Gazetter as a source for Timor's history, a dread possibility, an adventure hook, or his doom could be placed as a location under the geography section.
Pacal
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pacal »

I just read under the Zherisia Gazeteer section this wasn't the time to post ideas. If that's the case here as well I apologize but I want to post one further note on my lich idea before people start responding. I don't envision him as the necromancer kind of lich. He doesn't command a horde of undead only a couple of servants and guards. In this line I thought that it might be interesting if he were a snob and all of his servant were natives of Timor (maybe even wearing the tattered remnant of Timorian garb) or maybe he won't turn natives of Timor into undead and they're all non-natives of Timor. I'm not stuck on any of these ideas.
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: In one of Neil Gaiman's books, or at least I wish I was.

Post by Undead Cabbage »

Actually, Pacal, we'd love to here ideas at this point.

I think what you mean is that the Zherisia thread stated to hold on actually writing final drafts until the Souragne Gazetteer is out. So far we've been producing material since it was put on the net.

I'm not really a member of the 'Timor-Team', but what I can say is that I'm pretty sure that we're going to leave the realm open for the type of thing. Now, by leaving it open, we will probably state it more in a fashion that nobody knows exactly what is in Timor, as opposed to actually stating that a lich or what not is there.

Our reasoning for this is because this would satisfy both ends on the debate: people who don't want fantasy-type creatures in Timor can just say that those sections are taken up by more gothic creatures. Likewise, people who want to add a fantasy touch to the realm can go right ahead and add what they like.
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

I've actually been working on an Ancient Dead wizard to reside in Timor. This works really well for Timor because most of the time, he would be slumbering in his crypt. Only when the Marikith penetrate his tomb would he rise, and only then for a short time. This would allow for an intelligent, powerful being tied to Timor's history to reside within the domain, and not present a big threat to the Hive Queen.
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Undead Cabbage »

An anchient dead may actually be pretty neat. Mummies and creepy crawlies go hand in hand. Although once again I state that Timor really isn't my sandbox to play in. I always envisioned it as the 'fear of bugs' region of Ravenloft.
Pacal
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pacal »

Regardless of whether the creature is a lich or mummy, I think it would be cool to have him relate some of the domains history to the writer of the Gazeteer. In regard to the making him mor "buggy" the Libris Mortis has a solution for that. There is a template in the Libris Mortis that can be added to any corporeal, intelligent undead called swarm-shifter. You pick a type of swarm (they have stats for bats, beetles, centipedes, flies, leeches, maggots, pieces of writhing flesh, rats, sand, scorpions, and spiders - all undead of course). I would suggest centipedes, beetles, or rats. The undead creature with the template gains the ability to turn into the chosen swarm. Perhaps the mummy/lich gained this ability when Timor became a domain and feels tainted by it or was cursed with the ability a long time ago.
Stygian Inquirer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Stygian Inquirer »

It could also be a new restless undead creature with the ability from Van Richten's Guide to the Walking Dead allowing it to vomit forth vermin thus making it unique.
Information seems to come my way whether by chance or by fate, but all this means, is that I have yet to find out what will kill me and why. - The Stygian Inquirer
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

So how's everyone doing on this baby? Are people still working on it? I know that I've been doing some research on my Marikith, and doing a lot of brainstorming.

I found out something that's the opposite of what someone else said too. Old Timor did *not* have a lot of wizards. They in fact had very few. It seems there was the odd court wizard, and that was it. Magic items could not be bought, nor spells, nor spellcasting for hire.

This still doesn't change my idea for the Ancient Dead wizard; in fact I have extended it now and worked it even further into Timor's history.

Some other interesting things I discovered as well:

Timor had advanced water and plumbing systems; there should still be remnants of this in the deep.
Timor also had great machinery underground that used to cause headaches (and penalties) to those not used to it (ie. adventurers). Although this machinery is almost certainly inoperable now, there are still probably remnants of it left in the sewers.

So can we open up the lines again and get an update on what's going on with everyone's project?
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

I spoke to Tobias a few weeks ago who said he'd done 80% of his part of the project. He's been very busy however. Nathan? Jester?
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

I'm rather busy with un-packing, work and other projects so I'm happier just acting as editor or the last writer filling in the holes. For both this and Paridon (what's the status on that book?).
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Undead Cabbage »

For the status on Paridon:

I have recently sent out an email containing a huge document with all of the text material we have for parts I-III so far. This file is just short of 50pgs text. When you include all of our appendix stuff, and the stuff so far on Timor, we have something in the vecinity of 60 pages. As well, I have recently sent out a series of pictures, two of them requests. Right now I'm finishing up Part I.
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

I've been contacting a couple of the others to see how they're doing with their submissions. I just returned from Canada with a visa in hand- YES! Now that that's settled, I'll be able to finish up the last two articles I'd taken on. I do think we've got the main body of the Paridon survey 75% written now. :D
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Nearly three weeks to deadline, and I am seeking word from writers in this section as to what the status is on Timor. I will produce an update as soon as I know how much DOES remain to be done.

However, I do know that we require:

- New feats, spells, and prestige classes
- Items magical and technological
- Daily sights and sounds in Timor. Welcome to the dungeon crawl and the sewers, people. Time to get down and dirty, and let us know what comes to mind!
Jester of the FoS

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Progress continues on Timor but has suffered two delays.
1) My weekend was killed by a horrible case of food poisoning. Worst I have EVER had. I was feverish and couldn't sleep for a night and a half. I survived on rice and soda crackers washed down by ginger ale until today.
2) I proposed to my girlfriend. She said yes.

It is being worked on though. As I type. Well, between sentances.